Author Topic: Blok Drop U Review  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Blok Drop U Review
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »

Dropping bloks is simple, but satisfying!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/36758/blok-drop-u-review

More and more independent games are making their way to the Wii U, and the latest title to arrive is Blok Drop U, developed by a one-man team at RCMADIAX. Blok Drop U is quite the satisfactory game at its budget price. It’s not overly long, but while it lasts, it’s a clever experience.

The goal of the game is to land a red, heart-patterned block, which is seated on top of several bigger blocks, to the floor while avoiding possible traps as well as dodging pitfalls surrounding each level. The game makes use of the Wii U Game Pad’s touch screen exclusively; using the screen, players touch the blocks underneath the designated block at the right time in order to get the block to where it needs to be to clear the level. This is great for gamers who want to make use of the TV-free gameplay some of the Wii U games offer. It seems that the game was almost designed for such a feature.

There are 30 levels in all as of this writing (the developer has promised additional levels in the future), varying in difficulty. The first section of the game is focused on the basics of landing the square in the right position, touching the blocks at the right time, and so on. The second part, which was the most challenging, involves avoiding roaming spikes that impede your progress. These levels require more thinking and precise timing in order to get the block in the right position without running into the treacherous spikes. The third and final set of levels has the block seated on a large, bouncing block platform. Most of the time, using the bouncing block is integral to get to the platform and clear the stage. I didn’t find this as tricky at the previous set of levels, but it still provided an interesting challenge.

While the game is difficult and at times, rather rewarding, there’s not a whole lot to do here once all 30 levels are done. It’s possible to go back and go through them again, but there is no option to pick out which level to try again (players must play through each stage before getting to the one they wish to try again), nor is there really any reason to play it again once the game is completed. The presentation is quite lacking as well. It’s all simple and to the point, which gets especially grating as you hear the same song on a loop throughout the entire game.

Regardless, Blok Drop U is a fun, addictive puzzler at a bargain price that is no nonsense in its gameplay and presentation. It’s short and simple, and is enjoyable for what it is. It’s not lengthy, but it isn’t meant to keep gamers at bay for hours at end. Rather, it’s something one can play and enjoy on a short break in between other games. Even in its brevity, it’s addicting, as you’ll surely be repeatedly trying to get that block with the heart-shaped logo out of harm’s way. In this, RCMADIAX accomplished what it set out to do with Blok Drop U.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Blok Drop U Review
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
Also got a review code for this, and I'm really bewildered that there is no level select. That's a huge oversight. I don't know if the developer ran out of time, or if he just didn't think about it. Still, I agree with you totally. It's a satisfying game, for sure.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
Don't know if anyone will see this, but...

Blok Drop U is on sale in the Wii U eShop this week for just $0.99.  Less than a dollar gets you a short but interesting Wii U puzzle game that has some replay value (because the physics-based gameplay allows you to try different solutions) and updates on the way soon.

Also worth noting that the developer has shown some examples of what updates are coming in the MiiVerse community for this game.  The first batch of updates appears to be focused on improved in-game art and adding a level select screen that shows which stages you've successful completed. Additional content is still promised from what I understand... but no idea when that is coming.

The game is very short on content. It's also fun and less than a buck, so I'm pretty satisfied on the whole. If there are updates rolled out later, my opinion will only improve.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:42:56 AM »
In Soviet Russia Blok Drop U