Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV DS  (Read 16929 times)

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV DS
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »
oh.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/20/best-buy-ad-rerates-ds-games-as-mature/

apparently it was a mistake. you can let this thread slide back into the dark pit from which it came.

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
So I died three times trying to cross the desert to the cave where you meet Tella.  Then I got raped by 4 tiny mages in the cave.

Man, I love the difficulty of old-school RPG's.  Every battle could be your last.  :)
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »
I'm about 4-5hrs in and I LOVE this game, it brings back so many memories from FFII on SNES (Yes I know FFIV is FFII in the US) and the game is excellent in about every way. The 3D visuals are great, the cutscenes are solid, and the gameplay is spot on without diverging too much from the original 2D version. It is nice to play my favorite, yes favorite, FF game in 3D.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 01:23:09 AM »
You know what I've found most shocking is how good the voice acting is.  Yeah, I said it, the voice acting is actually good.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 04:08:05 AM »
You know what I've found most shocking is how good the voice acting is.  Yeah, I said it, the voice acting is actually good.

Yeah it is really quite good for the most part (there are a couple characters that are so-so but overall it is quality). Without spoiling anything I really loved what they did with the leviathan scene I remember that from the SNES game but this really was a well made scene.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »

Yeah it is really quite good for the most part (there are a couple characters that are so-so but overall it is quality). Without spoiling anything I really loved what they did with the leviathan scene I remember that from the SNES game but this really was a well made scene.

FFIV was full of memorable scenes, but the Mist/Bomb Ring scene has got to be the most epic scene ever.

Rydia's scream at the end of that cutscene just sent chills down my spine. The voice acting is that good.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 12:05:22 AM »
Just got back from vacation and I'm hoping to pick this up tomorrow. This is a version of FF that has eluded me for quite some time...but not much longer! ;)
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »
I never played this before so I didn't know what to expect when I bought it. I'm blown away at the entire thing, I can't put it down.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »
How hard is this game?

I've read a couple of reviews saying it's kinda hard.
How hard is it say compared to FF 3 remake on DS?

This game might be my next purchase on the DS after I beat TWEWY.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »
How hard is this game?

I've read a couple of reviews saying it's kinda hard.
How hard is it say compared to FF 3 remake on DS?

This game might be my next purchase on the DS after I beat TWEWY.

I'm about 4-5 hrs in and so far it isn't bad if you take some time leveling up. Not sure how it compares to FF3 remake because I've never played it.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »
I'm about 4-5 hrs in and so far it isn't bad if you take some time leveling up. Not sure how it compares to FF3 remake because I've never played it.

Agreed.  Although this game definitely features that random whooping feature that appeared in earlier FF's.

Say for example your walking around a dungeon and get into a battle.  The fight starts with you being surprised.  One of the Ice Lion things decides to cast Freeze on the party which kills two characters outright (one of which is always the darned healer), brings one character to his knees, and the last character to 50% hp.  Then the second Ice Lion thing feels like it has to outdo it's friend and casts Freeze as well, killing off the rest of the party.

Also, it may seem obvious, but never use a Phoenix Down on a dead character unless you have another character ready with a healing item or spell.  If not, the computer takes great joy in always targeting your newly raised person.  As a bonus, it will use a group damaging spell to make you pull out a few extra hairs from your head.

These sort of thing happens from time to time, but not too often.  It can even happen to you if you have been grinding levels and are wearing the best equipment.  Sometimes old FF games just thought it was time for you to take a break, but instead of using a quite "Open window with a breeze" picture, they just wipe your party out.  :)
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »
It's an old school RPG, so it's hard, but not as hard as FF III.  If you've only been babied by modern RPGs you might be in for a rude awakening, but if you've played any SNES ones you should feel at home with the difficulty level.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »
I've played a lot of SNES RPGs.

This game doesn't sound too hard, it's just money is tight and a want to make sure this game is worth the $40.00 I drop on it?

Is all the extra content from the GBA release in the game?
I've had a hard time getting a confirmation.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 12:17:52 AM »
I've played a lot of SNES RPGs.

This game doesn't sound too hard, it's just money is tight and a want to make sure this game is worth the $40.00 I drop on it?

The extras from FF4 Advance aren't in FF 4 DS. Final Fantasy 4 is a fantastic game whether you play it in 2D (GBA or SNES) or 3d (DS).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »

As FoC said, the extra dungeon on the moon is not in the DS game.  (I played it; to be honest, you're not missing anything.)

I am unsure about the party mechanics at the end of the game.  On the GBA version, you could choose whatever party members you wanted for the last dungeon.  You couldn't in the SNES original.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »
Also if your really tight on money now you can find Final Fantasy 4 Advance(GBA) for cheap around like 10 - 20 dollars.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
I'd recommend against the GBA port, actually.  There's a few bugs in the ATB system that can really spoil battles.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
There's also a save deleting bug that can be triggered by going through your menus in a certain order.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 11:09:48 PM »
Err ok I will avoid the GBA version for now.

Sounds like the DS version might be a nice follow to TWEWY.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
Actually, a great way to follow up TWEWY is to play TWEWY again.  ;)

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »
Ok, I might do that....

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
I found that while the game was much harder than it ever was before, it seemed to peak around halfway through.  At the end it wasn't a cake walk, I didn't have any trouble with the optional bosses you fight on the moon that in the previous versions were more of a pain.  I like that boss fights now more or less relied on strategy instead of just hitting them until they die.

And the final boss was kind of a cake walk for me, he never got to finish his first set of attacks and skipped the second right to the third and after meteor he was dead.  I did manage to steal from him after almost forgetting to.

I am currently outside of the mist cave on my new game + and am missing only the two entries you can't get in your first playthrough from the bestiary.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
Hell yes! I finally beat this game this morning. I got it for my birthday last November, so it only took me a year. How you reviewers blow through these games in a matter of days utterly escapes me.

This is the first FF game I ever played, and damn, was I humbled. I had put it away for months after getting to the moon (the first trip there) and having my ass served to me endlessly by those fruit-flavored space jellyfish. And then it sat on my shelf, taunting me. And then began... the grinding. Good God, so much grinding.

As an FF n00b, I've gotta ask... how did anyone ever get through these games back in the day without an online walkthrough? Seriously: hidden paths, backtracking, teleports, 10 million enemies, each with different weaknesses, bosses with ridiculous insta-kill powers...

Hmmm, what next? I have FF V and VI for Gameboy Advance on hand, as well as TWEWY sitting on the shelf. (Maybe around 2015 I'll pick up a used PS3 and FFXIII.)

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
greg, we played it. a lot. there were guide books, but mostly we played it and talked about it. i beat ff4 on the snes probably 4 times, (ff 1 way way more than that).

oh and twewy is fantastic game. even if it gets suddenly hard at boss time.... *grrr...*

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »
We were kids with a lot of time on our hands and no money to buy new games.  It was okay if a game took forever because we didn't have anything better to do.  ;D