Gaming Forums > General Gaming

The Great(?) Video Game Spreadsheet Project: Year 32 Challenge!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stratos:
I was about to make a snarky comparison to a certain "food documentary" director who most likely faked their numbers and refused to release their food logs, then when pressure increase he claimed they were all lost in a fire...but you posted the spreadsheet!

If I include all of the free games I've gotten on Steam and Epic Game Store I would probably be in the thousands. I like to say my backlog is my "retirement entertainment plan". Some folks wither away with nothing to do when they retire. Not so for me!

I might make a version of this sheet for myself in the future. But not nearly as intricate. Would be fun to chronicle my backlogging journey.

Order.RSS:
Pretty interesting method!

So, is there a strategy to shedding the remaining backlog? I guess some basics could be:

* Acquire fewer games than you complete/drop (you're already doing this)
* Wrap up any unfinished savegames. Don't restart; either continue or drop
* Next, start some short ones to get completions rolling?
* Consider trying the worst games in your backlog early, as you might drop them before the end, which would whittle down the pile faster?One thing to worry about would be turning your hobby into a job with targets to hit, though.

The ones from the list which jump out to me are:
- GRIS is short and you're almost done already.
- Transistor, Sonic 3D Classic, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and Nano Assault EX are 5 hours tops each. Those are good early candidates to get a head start. Tony Hawk might take 10 perhaps, fewer if you're good. 
- Townscaper gets real boring real fast unless you're a self-motivated player who likes to build worlds. I dropped it in 15 minutes, but YMMV.
- You've got a few doubles listed, like Skyrim, Astria Ascending, and Paradise Killer. There's some freebies to cross off immediately!

Evan_B:

--- Quote from: Order.RSS on September 14, 2023, 07:50:45 PM ---Pretty interesting method!

So, is there a strategy to shedding the remaining backlog? I guess some basics could be:

* Acquire fewer games than you complete/drop (you're already doing this)
* Wrap up any unfinished savegames. Don't restart; either continue or drop
* Next, start some short ones to get completions rolling?
* Consider trying the worst games in your backlog early, as you might drop them before the end, which would whittle down the pile faster?One thing to worry about would be turning your hobby into a job with targets to hit, though.

The ones from the list which jump out to me are:
- GRIS is short and you're almost done already.
- Transistor, Sonic 3D Classic, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and Nano Assault EX are 5 hours tops each. Those are good early candidates to get a head start. Tony Hawk might take 10 perhaps, fewer if you're good. 
- Townscaper gets real boring real fast unless you're a self-motivated player who likes to build worlds. I dropped it in 15 minutes, but YMMV.
- You've got a few doubles listed, like Skyrim, Astria Ascending, and Paradise Killer. There's some freebies to cross off immediately!

--- End quote ---
I appreciate the recommendations and the advice! I am aiming to get shorter games/game I’ve already started out of the way as fast as possible, in the interest of time. All of your comments are valid. Thank you.

Evan_B:
Week 7: Current Weighted Top Twenty (as of 10/16/2023):
VVVVVV (4.47)
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (4.42)
UNSIGHTED (4.41)
Crawl (4.36)
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (4.30)
The Swapper (4.28)
Donkey Kong (1994) (4.25)
Inscryption (4.25)
Roller Coaster Tycoon (Deluxe) (4.23)
Dandara (4.21)
Mr. Driller Drill Land (4.21)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (4.19)
ARMS (4.19)
Skwish (4.17)
Tetris Effect Connected (4.16)
Kirby's Air Ride (4.15)
Pick Pack Pup (4.12)
Toree 2 (4.12)
Toree 3D (4.12)
Paper Mario TTYD (4.11)

Sometimes, you have to make really tough choices, like asking yourself: is UNSIGHTED the best top-down Zelda ever made? The answer is obviously yes, but how much better is it than the highest-rated Zelda title on my list? Eh, it’s a toss-up.

So I’ve gone through my top 20 and done a bit of restructuring. First of all, I was a bit shocked to review my rankings and realize I didn’t have DK94 on my spreadsheet- it’s a game I regard very highly. But, in the month I have spent working through my backlog, I have made the following additions to my spreadsheet:
DK94 (4.25) - Loved
Evil Tonight (3.80) - Loved
For a Vast Future (3.74) - Liked
Wolfstride (3.71) - …
Master Blaster Zero 2 (3.67) - Liked
Lone Ruin (3.41) - Liked
Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Night (3.41) - Liked
Traumatarium (3.16) - Liked
Evertried (3.00) - Meh
Nova 111- (2.92) - Liked
Townscaper (2.92) - Loved

…As you can see, I had a moment of weakness. Traumatarium was so cheap, I couldn’t resist. Turns out, it’s maybe the perfect Game Boy-sized RPG, wrapped in an even nicer 3D simulation wrapping. But, there’s not much to it outside of its randomized dungeon crawling, so it was easy to rate. This is in contrast with games like Lone Ruin Nova 111, which do require a bit of fast-paced, skill-centric gameplay. I don’t think I’ll ever really get much further than the basic difficulties of the former and I am hoping to finish out the latter soon, but both felt right enough to rate at the moment.

I don’t know how I feel about Wolfstride. Objectively, it’s such a unique game from an aesthetic and gameplay standpoint, and my disdain for video game writing and some of the artistic choices make it hard for me to love. I’m going to need a bit more time with it.

Khushrenada:
LOL! Just got rid of a spambot that posted in this thread. It gave itself away by trying to use my own writing! Spammers trying to be clever with bloody plagiarizing AI. Anyways, just thought I'd post a record of what the spambot posted along with my earlier post for comparison to examine since I'll also admit that it's slightly fascinating to see how these programs are able to understand some of the meaning and reword things. Gives me flashbacks to school when you weren't supposed to just copy out a paragraph from a book for an answer so it was often just this kind of trying to change the words enough to put it in your own words while saying the same thing.

--- Quote from: lylawa on December 07, 2023, 12:51:31 AM ---I'm thrilled that Kirby's Air Ride holds the top spot as the highest-rated GameCube game, giving Mario Kart a run for its money! Surprisingly, it even outshines the fantastic TTYD and the somewhat forgotten ARMS on the Switch. While Splatoon enjoys two releases on the Switch, ARMS seems to have been left in the shadows. It's a nod to that period from 2015 to 2018 when Nintendo was truly exploring creativity in game ideas and franchises.

By the way, Evan_B(iscotti) maintains a Backloggery page, though I'm unsure of its current status. It displays 105 unfinished games. To respect privacy, I'll hold off on sharing the link until Evan_B gives the green light after reading this post.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on September 05, 2023, 04:44:22 PM ---I'm loving that Kirby's Air Ride is the highest rated GameCube game. Take that, Mario Kart! Even higher than the great TTYD. And ARMS! No one talks about ARMS anymore on the Switch. Splatoon got two releases on Switch while ARMS is left behind. That 2015 - 2018 when Nintendo seemed to be getting creative with game ideas and franchises.

Evan_B(iscotti) does have a Backloggery page though I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. It only shows 105 total unfinished games. I'm not sure if he'd be alright with me posting the link to it or not so to err on the side of privacy, I'll wait to see what he says after reading this post.

--- End quote ---

Also, for the record, I had clicked on this thread to see the latest post and when it loaded, it was actually the second paragraph that caught my eye because I saw the Evan_B(iscotti) name and was confused for a moment as to why someone would be using that to refer to him and if other users were now using that to reference him. Then it suddenly clicked in my head that I was being ripped off by AI! Just goes to show that dumb jokes are the key to defeating the rise of the robots. They can't understand our humor yet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version