Author Topic: Episode 215: Fruitasaurus Rex  (Read 12404 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 215: Fruitasaurus Rex
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »
Known fact: dinosaurs love watermelons. Sometimes.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/24276

Our planned guest took a rain check, but TYP jumped in on very short notice to save the day! It's a good thing too, because he knows plenty about Yoshi's Story. But first, New Business! Mike has been trying out Zack & Wiki, one of our favorite original Wii titles. Greg is enjoying Castlevania: Lords of Shadow despite it not being very Castlevania-y. James has played all the way through Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Finally, Jonny grumbles about two disappointments, Comic Jumper and Sonic 4 (though he's questionably qualified on the latter).

Next up is RetroActive #14, the N64 edition. You elected Yoshi's Story for the honor, so we all played it. There is praise for the visuals, the ambitious design, and even the controversial soundtrack. However, we have a number of misgivings as well, and so do you, judging from the forum comments. Yoshi's Story may not be the dino-pal's finest hour, nor our favorite RetroActive game, but it was worth playing and makes for an interesting discussion. Thanks for participating, and look for the next RetroActive (Second Chance Edition), coming soon!

On the next episode... Jon returns! (We hope.) And our mystery guest should finally reveal himself. Think 2D.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:57:28 PM by NWR_Karlie »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 215: Fruitasaurus Rex
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
James has played all the way through Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light.

James will probably die bathed in the warm light of his XL.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
Nice one. You pulled off a healthy discussion on Yoshi's Story and covered the highs and lows quite well. I had fun playing through it, but yeah, there are inconsistencies with the design and the difficulty like you said. It says a lot of how far they've come that Kirby's Epic Yarn, which could be argued as being inspired by this game, is receiving such glowing reviews in spite of its apparent easiness. Must have some truly top-of-the-line level design in there to be overcome the extremely forgiving nature of the game, something which Yoshi's Story is not as successful in.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
I really don't understand the complaint that Castlevania: LOS is "too long" outside of the obnoxious Chupacabra sections, which really didn't need to be there and serve no purpose.  If the game keeps you consistently engaged (as it did with me), does it really matter if the game is 6 hours or 20?  And, frankly, most people who say this game is "not very Castlevania-y" haven't played beyond the first 1/3 of the game, which is very Lord of the Rings-ish (though I still enjoyed it).  Unfortunately, the game does have a terrible demo that doesn't highlight anything about the game except magic-less combat, which makes it look like a God of War ripoff.  I'm glad to see that Greg is enjoying the game, though.  It's one of the more enjoyable games I've played this year, and it's one that I think is getting a lot of unfair criticism for what it's NOT (yet another cookie-cutter Metroidvania) rather than what it IS (a blend of light exploration and combat mixed with a gothic horror/fantasy setting and creatures).  I'm especially a big fan of the soundtrack, though I do agree with Greg that it did need more tracks.  The one appearance of "Vampire Killer" in the soundtrack is also conspicuously missing from the OST.  Speaking of which, I would have really enjoyed an orchestral arrangement of that song.  Maybe we'll hear that in Lords of Shadow 2, which was just recently leaked.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:30:54 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:42:21 AM »
Hah, it's hilarious that TYP believes the Yoshi's are singing "Be Careful..", too! I use to think that exact same thing as a teenager when this game first debuted. I lol'd when I heard him say that. :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:19:50 PM »
So the alternative to the kid look of Yoshi's Island would have been pre-rendered? I didn't like the kid style much but pre-rendered is even worse (I hated DKC's graphics even back when it came out).

Offline jimwood27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
Jonny, couldnt agree more on Sonic games.  Everything just seems to be at odds with each other.  Plowing through a level at full speed just doesn't feel right to me for some reason.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
Hah, it's hilarious that TYP believes the Yoshi's are singing "Be Careful..", too! I use to think that exact same thing as a teenager when this game first debuted. I lol'd when I heard him say that. :P:

You guys aren't the only ones... >_>

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
Huzzah! I'm not insane after all, then!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
Huzzah! I'm not insane after all, then!

You are not alone, Mike. I heared the same thing when I played the game.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:24:29 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »
James is cracking me up on this episode with his constant one-liners. Sometimes I didn't laugh on the recording because my Skype connection was fuzzy that night, but the delayed reactions are just as good.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
Hah, it's hilarious that TYP believes the Yoshi's are singing "Be Careful..", too! I use to think that exact same thing as a teenager when this game first debuted. I lol'd when I heard him say that. :P

Okay, but if you guys start to hear the Yoshis sing anything else, the rest of us will start to get concerned. :)

I wanted to participate in this retroactive, but RL kind of conspired against me...  It's just as well because I was also terribly disappointed in Yoshi's Story the first time around, particularly since I loved Yoshi's Island.  :(  I'm glad I just rented it back in the day.

I'm still disappointed that Yoshi's Island has never showed up on Virtual Console.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »
I fully expect a 3D-enhanced version of Yoshi's Island to appear on 3DS. That game had lots of foreground and background effects that would make the game an appealing choice for such an enhanced release.
Nintendo World Report

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 01:21:49 AM »
Weeemeemmmber, weeemeember, be caaaweeeful. (That's what I hear)
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
TYP, once you hear "be careful", you can't un-hear it. Thanks for that.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »
I just heard "EEEE-AAAYYYY-OOOOOOOH." Gobblygook.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep--you avoid it at the risk of death. It's in one of the jungle stages. It's in one of the sky stages where you ride Falcor (the lucky dragon from "Neverending Story").
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Falcor? Is that what he's called in English? He's Fuchur here but I guess you Americans would butcher that name to no end.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »
TYP, once you hear "be careful", you can't un-hear it. Thanks for that.
My RFN legacy.

Zach is correct, they are singing IIII EEEEEEee OOOOOO (Japanese reading), but the human brain is so desperate to make sense of what it...senses.... BE CAREFUL!
Nintendo World Report