Author Topic: Iwata on Wii U: Not Over Yet  (Read 12835 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Iwata on Wii U: Not Over Yet
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 07:19:04 PM »
If I bought a Wii U at launch then I would have considered it a mistake, but at the point which I got one it was pretty clear where it was headed and I knew what I was getting into. The system actually had a pretty successful launch month and a selection of third-party games in series that the Wii didn't get, so the future showed some promise. But that's why I don't buy systems at launch, and wait until the games I want are actually out or close to release. I knew it was just Nintendo titles and there were enough to make it worthwhile for me.

That said, the system is really disappointing as a followup of the Wii. Despite its reputation the Wii actually had a good selection of fun and quirky third-party titles, and the Wii U isn't even getting those kinds of games. And Nintendo's own output doesn't feel as strong as the Wii either; they've released less games and I don't feel they are as good as what was on Wii. With Nintendo being the sole supporter now, they should release more games than its predecessor, not less.

I hope Nintendo have learned their lessons but at the same time, some of their issues have been evident for a while and should have already been fixed with Wii U. There are still some signs that Nintendo are improving, but I'm not convinced they even fully understand all the reasons the Wii U is a failure. Even if I don't regret getting a Wii U, I don't think I'll be on board for the next system if it's the same thing.

I'm not sure how much this relates to Iwata's comment as much as the discussion in the comments, but, uh, yeah, I don't think they really have a choice but to stick with Wii U for now. They can't afford to rush into a new system to replace it, they need to take their time and make sure they not only make a good next system but also have quality games available at and near launch. And so even if they do realise the mistakes with Wii U, they can't talk about them yet because they're still trying to sell the thing and make some money on it as they plan out what they will do next. They're in a tough spot, but I feel this is the best course of action.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »
It's basically just a touchscreen controller and Nintendo first party games with graphics from at least five years ago.
That's terribly reductive. If you want to play that game, you can do so with PS4 and Xbox One as well.

"It's basically the same console from eight/nine years ago with better graphics but still worse graphics than most PCs today. Also, Destiny/Titanfall are overrated."

Not really a fair assessment of those consoles, is it? Wii U is far, far, far (far) from a perfect console, but it isn't without its merits. "Oh, it just has Nintendo first party games. Pfffffftttttt....." Except that's the entire point. They're well-known, highly regarded, and you can't get them anywhere else. Trying to downplay that just makes you sound desperate. And the fact that you're still harping on the graphics in 2015 is just sad. Let it go, Elsa.

The market for which "Nintendo games and that's it" is a selling point is, well, the Wii U userbase and that's it.  That's not sustainable.  Sorry, people want graphics that are actually comparable to competing consoles and they want games to be released on somewhat of a regular basis and actually want games made by companies other than Nintendo.  This concept of some additional system purchase to get your Nintendo games is a recent concept.  The company's legacy was built on consoles that actually had contemporary hardware and third party support.  In 2015, "it has Nintendo games" means jack ****, particularly when it means compromising everything else.  Nintendo is so inept at consoles now that the presence of their own games is the only selling point it has.  Plus what a "**** you" to their fans.  "Hey our product is almost completely worthless but it has the Nintendo games you can't live without so put up with all this other bullshit to get your precious Mario!"  Nintendo is cutting corners because they arrogantly think that "it has Nintendo games" is enough of a selling point to make up for everything else.  That didn't work with the Gamecube, which was more competent of a console than the Wii U, and it is failing hard here.

And if I want Nintendo games that make no effort to use up-to-date hardware.. I have the 3DS and it has third party support and everything.  I don't need to put up with the frustration of owning a Wii U while still getting my Nintendo fix.

Why is the 3DS that much better? It also is mostly Nintendo's games. It's also got worse graphics than its competitor (vita) it also has new releases coming at a trickle yet you don't complain about it. I think they aren't that different. Personally I enjoy both. I also own a PlayStation, but the truth is 90%of the game I buy are in 1 of those 2 systems. Sometimes (like with NBA 2K or Lego Marvel) I could get a version with better graphics on PS4; however, for those 2 games specifically I choose Wii U because of off-tv play (on NBA 2K) and to avoid split screen when playing co-op (on Lego Marvel). So me those are a bigger deal than the graphics, to others the graphics is more important. I buy a few PlayStation games and mostly Wii U/3DS games because I buy games I think I'll really enjoy and this appeal to me more often. Others are different. Nintendo could have given the Wii U graphics on par with PS4 and Xbone, but they would have had to either drop the GamePad or be the most expensive console and they chose to be different and a little bit cheaper and I'm OK with that. If you're not then but one of the other 2 and do both . yes the NES and SNES had great 3rd party support while the Wii U only gets 1st, 2nd party and some Indie support. I still have lots of fun with it.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
Shovel Knight and Bayonetta 2 makes everything okay. I'm serious. Some of you guys are missing the point, well at least to me.  I remember years ago in the Gamecube days, I used to crush Nintendo on the very same boards for not having their **** together. But I don't feel this is the same thing.  My biggest problem with Nintendo this gen is not being ready for HD, That was inexcusable and a huge violation. However I have bought more Nintendo games in the last 3 years then I have at any other time in history. More disposable income? Marginally, but its nowhere enough to make up for the sheer volume of games I've bought for the Wii U. This system is a BEAST and if you allow yourselves some time with it, you may **** around and have some fun with it.

"There may come a day when the mistakes of the Wii U overtake its outstanding library of titles but it is not this day. "

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »
It's basically just a touchscreen controller and Nintendo first party games with graphics from at least five years ago.
That's terribly reductive. If you want to play that game, you can do so with PS4 and Xbox One as well.

"It's basically the same console from eight/nine years ago with better graphics but still worse graphics than most PCs today. Also, Destiny/Titanfall are overrated."

Not really a fair assessment of those consoles, is it? Wii U is far, far, far (far) from a perfect console, but it isn't without its merits. "Oh, it just has Nintendo first party games. Pfffffftttttt....." Except that's the entire point. They're well-known, highly regarded, and you can't get them anywhere else. Trying to downplay that just makes you sound desperate. And the fact that you're still harping on the graphics in 2015 is just sad. Let it go, Elsa.

The market for which "Nintendo games and that's it" is a selling point is, well, the Wii U userbase and that's it.  That's not sustainable.  Sorry, people want graphics that are actually comparable to competing consoles and they want games to be released on somewhat of a regular basis and actually want games made by companies other than Nintendo.  This concept of some additional system purchase to get your Nintendo games is a recent concept.  The company's legacy was built on consoles that actually had contemporary hardware and third party support.  In 2015, "it has Nintendo games" means jack ****, particularly when it means compromising everything else.  Nintendo is so inept at consoles now that the presence of their own games is the only selling point it has.  Plus what a "**** you" to their fans.  "Hey our product is almost completely worthless but it has the Nintendo games you can't live without so put up with all this other bullshit to get your precious Mario!"  Nintendo is cutting corners because they arrogantly think that "it has Nintendo games" is enough of a selling point to make up for everything else.  That didn't work with the Gamecube, which was more competent of a console than the Wii U, and it is failing hard here.

And if I want Nintendo games that make no effort to use up-to-date hardware.. I have the 3DS and it has third party support and everything.  I don't need to put up with the frustration of owning a Wii U while still getting my Nintendo fix.

Why is the 3DS that much better? It also is mostly Nintendo's games. It's also got worse graphics than its competitor (vita) it also has new releases coming at a trickle yet you don't complain about it. I think they aren't that different. Personally I enjoy both. I also own a PlayStation, but the truth is 90%of the game I buy are in 1 of those 2 systems. Sometimes (like with NBA 2K or Lego Marvel) I could get a version with better graphics on PS4; however, for those 2 games specifically I choose Wii U because of off-tv play (on NBA 2K) and to avoid split screen when playing co-op (on Lego Marvel). So me those are a bigger deal than the graphics, to others the graphics is more important. I buy a few PlayStation games and mostly Wii U/3DS games because I buy games I think I'll really enjoy and this appeal to me more often. Others are different. Nintendo could have given the Wii U graphics on par with PS4 and Xbone, but they would have had to either drop the GamePad or be the most expensive console and they chose to be different and a little bit cheaper and I'm OK with that. If you're not then but one of the other 2 and do both . yes the NES and SNES had great 3rd party support while the Wii U only gets 1st, 2nd party and some Indie support. I still have lots of fun with it.

First the 3DS is a handheld, to many people portability *is* a selling point in and of itself so if you can't see that then really you are part of the problem. This attitude is why Nintendo is in the **** mess they are, fans who do buy everything they make and don't question it.

Nintendo cannot compete with the big boys they NEVER COULD. Nintendo is a toy company that got lucky with NES fumbled around a couple decades blindly got lucky again with Wii and now they are back to their fumbling around.

NES (famicom) was made using severely outdated technology for the time so I disagree with the Nintendo needs to be on par with its competition to a certain degree. They just need to get their **** together and make friends with 3rd parties. Wii U is probably the most powerful console they could make they don't have the resources the other tech giants do and they know that, they even openly admitted that repeatedly.

People tend to forget that SNES was not the dominant console either Genesis kicked it ass up to the point Sega killed it, stupidly, to focus on Saturn. From there Nintendo kept plugging along and in the end sold more SNES units but only because Sega walked away from that market and hey look what Nintendo did they doubled down on outdated tech when everyone else was moving on, sound familiar? IT has always been their strategy, do the least amount of effort for the most amount of profit they really are in this mess because they are stupid and don't realize how lucky the were. In the 16 bit days aside from the RPG's, which mostly came slower and latter anyways, Sega got all the big 3rd party titles either first or exclusive, SNES had to fight to get many and part of that was Nintendo acting like they were they only name in town when it comes to video games. They got lucky with GameBoy and somehow don't even know why it worked, nor do we to be honest because every scenario you run should have had Game Boy bombing in the time it took to kill its competitors.

I don't think anyone at Nintendo knows why people buy their **** other than Mario so they see that no matter what they do the only constant is people buy Mario games, it will NOT be another generation before their shareholds figure that out and just put Mario games one everything else. Nintendo cannot afford to lose money for ever, they can bleed money but their shareholders are tightwads now, wait till they can't give away consoles they will go 3rd party or die out entirely. I used to think them going 3rd party would never happen but that was before seeing the mess Wii U is in now and with 3DS slipping its clear they are well past their prime.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 08:14:15 PM »

These are all still very reductive (and repetitive) points which is why I can't take them seriously. Too much negativity, too much melodrama. You talk up PS4 often, but it isn't good enough to inspire you to buy one. I still can't make sense of that. You **** on Wii U so frequently, constantly declaring your defiance in avoiding it yet the competition you laud so much still isn't worth purchasing either. That's weird.
I don't think they really have a choice but to stick with Wii U for now. They can't afford to rush into a new system to replace it, they need to take their time and make sure they not only make a good next system but also have quality games available at and near launch. And so even if they do realise the mistakes with Wii U, they can't talk about them yet because they're still trying to sell the thing and make some money on it as they plan out what they will do next. They're in a tough spot, but I feel this is the best course of action.
Thanks, Mop it up. I agree. Wii U isn't a great console, but I think it's good enough to carry the company to a hopefully much better successor.