Author Topic: Nintendo Comments on Lack of AC Adapter for New Nintendo 3DS Systems in North America  (Read 15420 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

It's all about the money.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/39421/nintendo-comments-on-lack-of-ac-adapter-for-new-nintendo-3ds-systems-in-north-america

Nintendo has responded to questions as to why there will be no AC adapter packaged with the upcoming New 3DS XL systems.

"New Nintendo 3DS XL uses the same AC adapter as any Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo DSi system" the statement given to IGN reads. "Rather than raise cost of New Nintendo 3DS XL by charging consumers for a component they may already own, we are giving them the option to only buy if they need an AC adapter."

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Note: Trading in your 3DS as Gamestop requires the charger to be traded in too.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
This is *honk*ing BS, and I speak as someone who has an extra 3DS adapter because of a lost system AND owns a USB->3DS charging cable.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
They must think people just throw their old game systems in a toy box and forget about them. Any old handheld I sell or pass down to someone else, and with it, the charger. This is just a lame excuse to make people spend $10 seperatly to buy the charger. The first 3DS came with a charging cradle, then the 3DS XL didn't, now it doesn't even have a charger. Can someone check and make sure it comes with a stylus.

I could almost see them not including the SD card and saying cut cost so consumers can choose the size memory card they want. That at least would make a little sense
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
This is just a lame excuse to make people spend $10 seperatly to buy the charger.
I don't really agree with this. If Nintendo wanted to make people spend $10, it could have included the charger and set the price of the unit $10 higher.

I still have my DSi so I have a charger. This works out for me (though I'd want another one just in case). Granted, I still think Nintendo should have included the charger, even if it charged more. I merely disagree with the notion that Nintendo is nickle and diming people. If it really wanted to force people to spend that money on a charger, it could have done so very easily.

Offline jglonek

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
We all know Nintendo is making a nice profit off of this system. ($200 for basically four year old tech? Yeah okay). To me, it makes them look pretty bad that they can't throw in a $10 (and there's no way it costs them $10 to make) charger when they are charging $200 for the system. Kinda embarrassing Nintendo. I don't intend on buying this system from you. I'll survive without 360 degree cameras in Majora's Mask, thanks.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I had to go through this bullshit twice, first when I upgraded to the LL, and then again to the New LL.
Nintendo expects you to keep your old system around...
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
I can totally see this being a future headline on NWR in about a month an a half:

"Nintendo Comments on shortage of AC Adapters for New Nintendo 3DS Systems in North America."
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
This is just a lame excuse to make people spend $10 seperatly to buy the charger.
I don't really agree with this. If Nintendo wanted to make people spend $10, it could have included the charger and set the price of the unit $10 higher.

This price wouldn't be $210 with the charger.  It would still be $200 because that's a nice round number and can be set to $199.99 rather than the less attractive $209.99.  They're just going to increase their profit margin per system sold.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
You're missing the point. Nintendo could have forced that $10 on everyone if it wanted. It could have found a way to get that money one way or another. If not the AC adapter, it could have done so by increasing the price or cutting something else. The AC adapter is just something tangible that people can latch onto. "I don't want to pay for something I need to use the system." Fair. At the same time, I could claim, as a DSi owner with a perfectly functional AC adapter, that I don't want to pay for something I already have.

I'm not even defending Nintendo's choice not to include the AC adapter. I think it should be included out of principle, but I don't really see the cost being the problem. That's specifically what I disagree with. These companies make a killing on all kinds of things that we openly accept. We've dealt with this stuff before. The vast majority of Gamecube games required a memory card (unless you didn't want to save or advance) yet nobody really complained that one wasn't included with the console.

And $209.99 would be an unorthodox MSRP, but is it really that different from some of the others we've seen? The original Gameboy launched at $89.95. That's a pretty arbitrary number. 2DS launched at $129.99.

When you buy a NEW Apple product it still comes with the damn charger and those have been the same for damn near a decade. They had one revision that I know of and even that isn't a big deal. This is an odd move that is all about gauging plain and simple. Its different that not including batteries in the old days. At least that was industry practice this is not this is a strange move there is no defending it, except Adrock who never sees any faults with Nintendo.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Small point: Apple changed its chargers to a completely different connector just two years ago. I do think this is kind of a dumb move by Nintendo, but I'm sure they've done research that makes them think it won't hurt sales enough to cancel out the lower costs. I've got like 12 of them sitting around the house, so I don't care that much, but it is a really weird decision.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Small point: Apple changed its chargers to a completely different connector just two years ago. I do think this is kind of a dumb move by Nintendo, but I'm sure they've done research that makes them think it won't hurt sales enough to cancel out the lower costs. I've got like 12 of them sitting around the house, so I don't care that much, but it is a really weird decision.

YES, but they still sell the old ones and the new devices still use the new style its not a new style each revision it was revised ONCE and they still give you one each new device you buy. Everyone else uses universal chargers so apple and Nintendo are the only ones who benefit from their weird choice.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
At least that was industry practice this is not this is a strange move there is no defending it, except Adrock who never sees any faults with Nintendo.
That's not even remotely true...
I'm not even defending Nintendo's choice not to include the AC adapter. I think it should be included out of principle, but I don't really see the cost being the problem.

At least that was industry practice this is not this is a strange move there is no defending it, except Adrock who never sees any faults with Nintendo.
That's not even remotely true...
I'm not even defending Nintendo's choice not to include the AC adapter. I think it should be included out of principle, but I don't really see the cost being the problem.

see what I mean, this guy.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
This is something Nintendo Japan has been doing for a long time.  The N64 didn't come with AV cables because they used the same ones that the Super Famicom used. 
Obviously this is the first time that Nintendo of America has done this.  I do think it will help sales having the lower price point.
It's not unheard of in the industry.  Sony didn't include an HDMI cable in with the PS3 (still don't I believe) and Microsoft after first included one with the 360 Elite model but then stopped when the original Slim was released.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
Adrock always has criticisms for Nintendo.  He just chooses to also see the silver lining in it as well.

those are not the same, those were optional to enhance the experience this is mandatory. Its like selling you a car but the keys are sold separately.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
those are not the same, those were optional to enhance the experience this is mandatory. Its like selling you a car but the keys are sold separately.
Some games on the PS3 and 360 could not be viewed properly without an HDMI cable.  I'd say it's relevant.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
And this is using the same adapter that Nintendo handhelds have used all the way back to the DSi. They're probably not wrong to figure there's a good chance people already have one. Still, it doesn't seem like it's worth the bad PR.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Do that many people not hang on to their old systems? I thought a lot of us held onto systems throughout the years. I have all of my systems and have only sold off 2-3 games. Don't care if it is damaged, I still keep them for future use and nostalgia.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I used to trade them in then I realized I prefer playing that system's games on the system it was made for. I kept my DSi because I didn't like all the nothing on the 3DS' larger screens. When I go back and play DS games, I can play it on an actual DS. Also, I just think it's nicely designed.

I'll deal with a digital future when the time comes, but as long as my old hardware works, I'll keep using it.

Adrock, I was just giving you **** I wasn't trying to be mean.

I don't keep any old systems anymore, no space to store stuff. But I used to be a giant hoarder of crap and never sold anything. It won't be an issue for me as it turns out what I do keep is cords, I have every power adapter and video cable for nearly every type of device out there, despite not owning a single Nintendo handheld I do still have all their A/C cables so if I did buy one it wouldn't really be an issue for me either.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
$8.50 for the charger on Amazon. Original Nintendo 3DS XL Power Adapter Charger WAP-002 - Bulk Packaging

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Adrock always has criticisms for Nintendo.  He just chooses to also see the silver lining in it as well.
Thanks for the support. I try to see both sides of a situation. There's often a distinct difference between what I want as a consumer and what I'm offered. If I can't reconcile the two, I know I don't have to accept it. I'll gladly stand my ground until I get what I want (on the retailer side if need be) even if I can at least see where a Nintendo is coming from.

And sometimes, I can't. There isn't always a silver lining. Wii U's launch was collectively not good. The way Nintendo handled Swapnote and Flipnote was downright hostile. Nintendo's (typically decent) customer service regarding the girl who gamed the Fire Emblem Awakening/Shin Megami Tensei promotion was exceptionally poor.

In this case, I'm the exact person Nintendo is targeting by not including the AC adapter. I LOVE saving money, and I still think it wasn't worth not including it. I mean, I get it. This does benefit some people so I don't believe it was strictly for profit margins. Even as one of the people that benefits, I wouldn't have balked at getting another AC adapter and I would have been none the wiser anyway.
Adrock, I was just giving you **** I wasn't trying to be mean.
No prob.