Author Topic: January 2015 Direct Wii U Game List and Reaction Thread for Reactions  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Welp, that was something.

Wii Games $9.99 first week, $19.99 after that.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - OUT NOWS! (or maybe after the midday eShop maintenance)
Punch Out - January 22
Metroid Prime Trilogy - January 29

Games featured in other territories: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Pandora's Tower, Sin and Punishment.

Super Smash Bros. Amiibo Wave 4 - Spring
Lucina
Robin
Pac-Man
Wario
Charizard
Ness

Super Mario Amiibo Wave - March 20
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Toad

Mario Party 10 - March 20
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Patreon Edition X Crossbuy Experiment - March 5
"HAHA Forget last week we're actually putting Tingle after all" Hyrule Warriors DLC - February 5
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - semi-stealth delayed to February 20
Splatoon - May
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Your guess is as good as mine.
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Amiibo Update - March 20
Project Treasure -¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:02:41 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: January 2015 Direct Wii U Game List and Reaction Thread for Reactions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
Wave 4 Amiibo is probably my favorite because there are two that I see as a "must have". Ness is awesome too. I wasn't expecting one for him.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is the only worthwhile title and that is because its normally overpriced to buy.

Super Mario Amiibo is bullshit. Only one new amiibo and the others are just different positions.

And the new trailer for XCX was great, but not much new.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:11:26 AM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
Other than my obvious disappointment with "that game that shall not be mentioned" I thought it was a solid ND. Splatoon is really shaping up nice. My only real issue is that Majora's Mask 3DS not coming with the game in the states but pre-loaded in Europe. And I thought Devil's 3RD was also ready for primetime.

Oh yeah, Marth Amiibo reprints is awesome but those Super Mario Amiibo, I'm not too sure they need them right now but its a marginal complaint at best.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »
Super Mario Amiibo exist to make more money, but also because people might not want to delete their FP data from Smash Bros. Mario Party 10 will be read/write and amiibos can't hold data from both game at once.

For comparison, here are some used game prices on Gamestop right now.
Galaxy 2 - $29.99
Metroid Prime Trilogy - $49.99
Punch Out - $34.99
Return to Dream Land - $49.99
Sin and Punishment - $4.99
DKC Returns - $24.99
Pandora's Tower - $24.99

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
Meh. It was a decent enough Direct, but the titles it showcased just didn't interest me. $200 for a "new 3DS" without even an AC Adapter is ridiculous, and so far the handheld really doesn't have anything I want. The new Fire Emblem looks...exactly...like the last Fire Emblem, a game I've still barely played so I don't need another one. Wii games on the Wii U eShop is a necessary addition, but since these digital versions don't offer anything I couldn't get with the original disc versions I already own (outside Gamepad support for games that use the Classic Controller, which none of these first 3 games support) it really doesn't have anything to offer me. Fire Emblem characters in Codename S.T.E.A.M. is nice, but I'm not going to hunt down the rarest of the rare Amiibos for the $45 "privilege". Nintendo can have my $15 if they go the sensible route and make it normal DLC. The Captain Toad Amiibo support is pointless.

Like I said, it was a decent enough Direct, but it had nothing to offer me outside a few giggles at Nintendo trolling Shaymin by putting Tingle in Hyrule Warriors.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Other than my obvious disappointment with "that game that shall not be mentioned"

What don't you want to talk about F-Zero?

Hi-yooooooo!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
$200 for a "new 3DS" without even an AC Adapter is ridiculous, and so far the handheld really doesn't have anything I want.

It's got exactly what I want. Working shoulder buttons.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
I see some pretty drastic changes in art style and theme in the new Fire Emblem, so I can't say it looks the same. Maybe plays the same, but it doesn't look it.

However, even with that and Project Treasure being the only real reveals this Direct, I can't say I'm disappointed. It looks like everything we expected to get during this Direct and it frees the next one up for lots more Splatoon and Wooly World or Mario Maker talk. They covered all the bases. Showed me some new deals. I liked the indie representation a whole lot and the guys at their respective studios should be proud.

The push for New 3DS was necessary, but honestly, who does Nintendo think their audience is? They spent time detailing Amiibo features for games but then say "Oh, and we mentioned Xenoblade Chronicles was coming to the New 3DS in a Japanese Direct". If they're trying to make these events more accessible to a wider audience they're sending mixed messages.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
Splatoon looks very TF2, which is a very good thing. If you want to rip-off online FPS you better rip-off the absolute best one.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the life changing, epic scale of XCX! I haven't played a real rpg since Skies of Arcadia but I will be here day one with divorce papers in tow. (This and Zelda in the same year)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
I am happy with the Direct, and the amusement from the bone-headed NA decisions will last for a long time.

The Splatoon hub looks great. I'm worried that having only 3 main weapons will be a problem, but it looks like the apparel you can buy has some special attributes to them.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is still looking great and exactly what I would want.

The defacto Wii VC is very welcome. It is disappointing that it is simply a Wii ISO in a Wii U loading wrapper, but I appreciate the chance to get Wii games that are hard to come by.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »
The Nintendo Direct was fine. Informative, but nothing earth shattering.

I kind of want that Lucina Amiibo, but I won't go to the ends of the earth to attain one. I would have purchased a Daisy Amiibo immediately, maybe even two.

I was disappointed in the New 3DS colors though I've mentioned that in other threads. I'm sure there will be more colors in the future so if nothing else, this makes it easier for me to stay away. I need new tires for my car which is more money than I feel like spending so I shouldn't be purchasing something I essentially already have and don't need anyway.

Splatoon is looking nice though I don't know if I'll ever buy it. The game doesn't look that fun single player which is mostly how I'd play it at home. My friend will be buying the game so I can just play it at his place.

I haven't seen the entire Xenoblade Chronicles X footage, but what I saw was nice.

Fire Emblem was a surprise though I've yet to put significant time in any Fire Emblem. I really shouldn't be thinking about buying other games. I'm still at the beginning of Bayonetta.

I'm excited for Majora's Mask 3D though I'll wait for a sale and probably pick it up alongside Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. That should give me time to not play Bayonetta.

I might buy Metroid Prime Trilogy just for the sheer value of buying three great games for $10. Then again, I already have Metroid Prime Trilogy and all three games separately. I just realized how ridiculous this sounds.

The Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars crossbuy is an important milestone for Nintendo. We can rag on how long this took Nintendo and how it's only for one game (for now), but we finally have it and this could be the start of what will hopefully be crossbuy for all Nintendo games available for both console and handheld, Virtual Console and eShop.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
I was satisfied. The no AC adapter for the New 3DS kinda sucks since I don't have a 3DS. Games looked good, I guess nothing scheduled after May was shown?

Dibs on the Project Treasure mega-thread!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
How the hell do you not own a 3DS?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »
The Splatoon hub looks great. I'm worried that having only 3 main weapons will be a problem, but it looks like the apparel you can buy has some special attributes to them.
The times of FPS games where you always have a selection of dozen weapons with you is long gone.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »

Why do you like soccer?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 11:35:09 PM »

Why do you like soccer?

Soccer, like the Nintendo 3DS, is very popular among wide swath's of Earth's population.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 11:41:51 PM »
I'm just not a big handheld guy. I'm giving it another shot because of the bigger screen. Plus, there are a number of games I want to play that are exclusive.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »
I'm just not a big handheld guy.

That's what she said.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 02:24:57 AM »
This reveal has most everything I was expecting and more. I am pleased with the outcome. I already pre-ordered a Monster Hunter N3DS and have two last shots at a Majora's Mask limited edition so February will be a great month for me.

The Marth reprint confirmed my belief that Nintendo would produce more of the hard to find amiibos. I expect to see others down the road as games connected to their franchises are released. I'll still try to secure pre-orders because there is the chance they don't and who knows how long it will be if they do reprint more?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
The times of FPS games where you always have a selection of dozen weapons with you is long gone.

Instead, have 12 different assault rifles!

On closer inspection, it does appear that there are different stats for the every paint gun, charge rifle, and roller. In the Direct, there was a paint gun that fired a slower, bigger projectile and one with a different model. There are different models for the charge rifle and roller. There was, I think, even a roller that was a paint brush. It appears that there will be a variety of weapons across the three main weapon types, ala Kid Icarus: Uprising.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 03:23:29 PM »
I didn't watch the Direct, I never do never have, but I am still excited for Splatoon getting a ballpark release date is all I was expecting so that was good, the other news is well just odd but not out of character with current Nintendo.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and state that I've barely played Galaxy 1 and never bought Galaxy 2, so the release is good for me. If they end up bringing Radiant Dawn as well I will buy it, even though it will never erase the shame I have from selling it.

Splatoon looks good, the only thing keeping me from committing to it Day 1 is my crappy internet situation. I hope it gets fixed soon.

I'll buy Mario vs Donkey Kong just to support the crossbuy element.

I must have those Toad, Lucina and Robin amiibo.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn re-releases would be nice. I'm not going to invest $200 for both titles ever.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
With their connected story and similar design and architecture I could easily see them releasing a special edition that includes gamepad support, HD, and an additional series of missions.

It would be a great way to promote the Ike amiibo (and other FE related ones). I own every US released FE and I would still buy enhanced collections of the old games day one.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast