Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1564791 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2150 on: January 28, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
lol there were so many features in the wii u controller I lost track, yeah rear facing for AR would be cool. The video chat will almost be revolutionary though, its not new, its been done before, but this is a really convenient format for it. I just have this feeling around e3 Nintendo will have a "checkmate go buy this" presentation. There were features with the Wii that really if expanded would be the type of thing I would want in the future. I'm looking for a good ala carte cable channel service, but if that extends into games then that would be even better. Interface wise, wii U could become more usable then a personal computer. Heck if there was a usb port on the controller (is there? :o) then your wii u controller would become a laptop.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 28, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
Why even go with the Dreamcast 2? Just call it the "Nintendo" Dreamcast... I would think that's enough to differentiate it from the Sega Dreamcast. Hah, I love this idea!

How about Wiicast? Or Dreamwii? I dream of Wii'nie?
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 29, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
You know, I always wanted to make a product that was unpronounceable. Something with like 7 vowels followed by 4 consonants.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 29, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
Woyuvwaaaaaaaaaaaa

like thought chanting
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 30, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »

http://mynintendonews.com/ Nintendo is planning downloadable stages for next Super Mario game.

This is great news to me! Bodes well for Smash Bros as well, as long as Sakurai's philosophy on gaming doesn't get in the way.

As I referred to before, for example, this is the idea of supplying new stages to Super Mario users who want to play the game more but have completed the game and lost interest in the existing stages. This will not only give us new profits but will lengthen the life of a product, in that it will never be out of fashion and can keep attracting public attention as long as many people play it.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 30, 2012, 02:12:18 PM »

http://mynintendonews.com/ Nintendo is planning downloadable stages for next Super Mario game.

This is great news to me! Bodes well for Smash Bros as well, as long as Sakurai's philosophy on gaming doesn't get in the way.

As I referred to before, for example, this is the idea of supplying new stages to Super Mario users who want to play the game more but have completed the game and lost interest in the existing stages. This will not only give us new profits but will lengthen the life of a product, in that it will never be out of fashion and can keep attracting public attention as long as many people play it.

This makes sense for Nintendo.  Mario has an art style.  They could create a Mario Game with a graphic Engine that could stand the test of time for the Wii U.

At that point sell Expansion packs for it like an MMO.  Maybe a World of the Month Subscription.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2157 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »
I think this could be coming from SM3DL. A lot of just kinda stopped playing after the special stages, while only a few of us kept playing to unlock the super secret, hidden bonus stage (which I'm not spoilering because it's public knowledge by now). But after that, I think most of us just completely stopped because there's no real incentive to go back. Pay $5-10 for a few extra worlds and suddenly the game has new life!

Plus, things like Galaxy 2 won't exist since the extra content would then just be DLC.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2158 on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
I think its funny that Saturo feels the need to explain DLC to investors. If you are an investor in Nintendo, more than likely you at least keep up on their competition to see how they stack up. You may even own stock in the competition. Heck, its not like Nintendo itself is a stranger to add-on content, at least in Japan.

To me, it comes off as them trying not to admit that the other companies were going in the right direction with offering DLC. Nintendo's stance in the past was that they believe a gaming experience should be complete in the box without offering other options. Its a flip-flop and speaks volumes to the effectiveness of Nintendo's leaders.

I agree that they should offer DLC. I believe though that investors should be looking at it as 'we could have been reaping the benefits of this line of thought for the past 5 years if you would have taken the initiative during the last console launch'. This coupled with the odd launch of the 3DS points to signs that Saturo is out of touch with the industry at large. They have time though and the Wii U's success is going to be Saturo's bell-weather of if he keeps his job.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 30, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
I think its funny that Saturo feels the need to explain DLC to investors. If you are an investor in Nintendo, more than likely you at least keep up on their competition to see how they stack up. You may even own stock in the competition.

That sounds logical, but there's plenty of evidence that it's not actually true. Plenty of investors who've asked questions at these briefings display a complete ignorance of the industry. When you stop to think about it, it's logical; investors generally don't care about specific industries, they just want to make money. I can guarantee that the average poster on this forum knows more about videogames than the average Nintendo investor.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
Miyamoto working less with his teams on existing franchises and more on his next big franchise, he hopes it's his big one anyway.

http://mynintendonews.com/
I am spending more time than before on finding new ideas for new developments rather than focusing my energy on work in my (development) teams in order to solidify the contents of (existing) franchise titles. After all, developing big hit titles must be the solution [to Nintendo’s ongoing financial losses].â€

“I am acting with the understanding that one big hit title can change multiple phases of a situation in the entertainment business, and I feel that finding such one big hit is my basic job.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
Sega released a new teaser for Aliens: Colonial Marines.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo31ty_aliens-colonial-marines-nouveau-trailer-contact_videogames#from=embediframe
obviously not the Wii U version, but we know it's supposed to be coming to Wii U too.

---edit--------------

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-30-iwata-nintendo-wont-be-drawn-into-expensive-tech-race-with-wii-u

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:27:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Team Ninja on Wii U
« Reply #2162 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »
Team Ninja comments on Wii U
http://gamingeverything.com/interstitial.php?url=http://gamingeverything.com/14574/team-ninja-wii-u-development-comparable-to-ps3360-hardware-always-changing-doa5-possible/
“It’s very easy to develop for. We’re finding it very similar to develop for Wii U as for the Xbox 360 and PS3. …They’ve asked us what we would like to see from the hardware, and when we give them feedback we can see that they’re definitely listening to it and making changes. The hardware is still constantly changing.â€
[...]
“We’re thinking about all sorts of things. Right now, our Wii U development is focused just on Ninja Gaiden, but we’re definitely keeping other platforms in mind for DOA5.â€

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: January 31, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
Just another really selfish wish game for the Wii U from me: I'd really be over the moon if a Karaoke game came soon after launch. Two screens is a MAJOR improvement to Karaoke, the second screen is like a next-at-bat position, where people can take their time picking songs without interrupting or delaying the singing
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: January 31, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »
That's actually a really awesome idea.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #2165 on: January 31, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
Agreed.  Great idea, Kairon.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: January 31, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
Microsoft's marketing director of France say's Nintendo isn't competing against other consoles.

http://mynintendonews.com/

"We’re not here to counter Nintendo and they’re not here to fight the other manufacturers. Nintendo has put itself in a different cycle, they’re advancing at their own pace.â€

- Cedrick Delmas, Microsoft’s marketing director of France

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
Comments about Nintendo from Microsoft and Sony come in 2 flavors:

1. Neutral - "Nintendo is doing their own thing. It's good for the industry but we're not directly competing with them."

2. Negative - "I guess those sales were good......... for a bunch of sons of whores."

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: January 31, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »
Comments about Nintendo from Microsoft and Sony come in 2 flavors:

1. Neutral - "Nintendo is doing their own thing. It's good for the industry but we're not directly competing with them."

2. Negative - "I guess those sales were good......... for a bunch of sons of whores."

And positive, because Microsoft views Sony as their real threat. They know Nintendo only cares about video games, but Sony is after control of the living room just like they are, so to Microsoft they would rather see Nintendo do well than Sony. That was why Microsoft supported the DS with a handful of titles which of course never came to the PSP.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
I've never bought the line that these companies "aren't really" competing with each other.  That always comes off to me as an excuse/spin for a company otherwise being unable/too incompetent to compete with the other companies in one area or another.  Whether these companies like it or not, they are all competing with each other in the same marketplace.  That's especially true now that Sony (with the Move) and especially Microsoft (with the Kinect) have been trying to make inroads on Nintendo's casual demographic.  And Nintendo, in turn, is trying to make inroads on Sony/Microsoft's core demographic with Wii U.  They are competing with each other, so let's not pretend that they're not.

Microsoft really comes off as hypocritical with that statement given that one of their big Fall titles last year was Kinect Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:45:50 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
Best way for an exec to brush a thorough ass raping under the rug: just act as if they weren't in the same race.  What a croc. That statement is like a preemptive strike for pending sales domination.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
To be fair Once Upon a Monster looks interesting.

Anyone not in marketing at Sony and Microsoft know very well that they are competing with Nintendo.  They may just accept they are a force in the market.  Sort of like even Dave Ramsey accepts that you will have a Mortgage at some point.

The fact is MS and Sony are the most similar so they are the most direct competition.  I will not be surprised if Nintendo comes blasting through the gate with the Wii U that does everything Sony and MS has planned for there next systems to take over the Living room.

1. Video Service integration: An actual clear way for more then just Hulu and Netflix.  With a real focus on getting the Big players in this market outside of the US
2. TV Integration:  In Japan they already have an App for TV Scheduling.  Expand that using HDMI communication.
3. A good web browser TV experience.  Full support for all common web standards even the non-true standards (Flash, Silverlight, etc.)
4. Social Integration
5. Video Chat
6. Family Functionality:  Good Example iCal and other web calendar support for a family calendar with reminder and editing capability.  Reminder pop in game reminding you of your dentist appointment.
7.  Ease of Use for Non-Technical in Non-Game Control and Interface: I would call any of the current ten good on this one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
Conversely, Nintendo's mindset is that they're competing against everyone, that they even need to compete against movie, books, and tv so that their videogames get a slice of the consumer pie. That's one of the big things about the Wii U: with an independent screen, Nintendo's figured out how to largely nullify competition from tv and movies for the television set.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2173 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
Ceric  Your post really makes me wish Nintendo would have partnered with Apple with this venture.  The problem with many of your ideas is that they need a portable device or laptop/desktop computer to take the functions further from just hey cool little diversion app to something useful.

For example, a TV calendar app is fantastic, because everyone sits in front of the tv...and if the wii U is always on, it could be easy to quickly check what you and your family are doing.  But, it would be more useful if it synced up with your calender on your phone and computer so you input your schedule once and it is set. 

It isn't just about the app existing anymore it is about the convience of the app...which is why Nintendo online play wasn't as successful...the friend codes weren't convient. 

Another example...video chat.  It is not enough for Nintendo to just use its own video protocols.  It is important for it to be compatiable with other video chat programs.  If Nintendo had video chat skype on the Wii U day one that would be a huge deal...if not Skype then Apple's Face Time protocol.  If I have to choose between another video chat program that my friends and family aren't using it is not worth the inconvience for me.

TV integration...the most convient way to do this is not web based TV...but to have the actual television first run through the Wii U...so you choose a TV channel on the Wii U and it starts your regular cable service...though I am not sure that is possible...it would allow for some very cool things...like playing a game on the Wii U tablet while watching TV...using the Wii U tablet as a TV remote...or quickly checking your calendar app and such while still watching TV.

This type of sophisticated integration is something Nintendo desperately needs for the Wii U, but is something they are not very familar with...so I am worried about them getting it "right."

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: January 31, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »
I've never bought the line that these companies "aren't really" competing with each other.  That always comes off to me as an excuse/spin for a company otherwise being unable/too incompetent to compete with the other companies in one area or another.  Whether these companies like it or not, they are all competing with each other in the same marketplace.  That's especially true now that Sony (with the Move) and especially Microsoft (with the Kinect) have been trying to make inroads on Nintendo's casual demographic.  And Nintendo, in turn, is trying to make inroads on Sony/Microsoft's core demographic with Wii U.  They are competing with each other, so let's not pretend that they're not.

Microsoft really comes off as hypocritical with that statement given that one of their big Fall titles last year was Kinect Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster.

I don't buy it either, especially when all three companies won't hesitate to boast whenever they do well or put in some jabs at the competition whenever possible. Microsoft doesn't seem to have been too harsh with Nintendo, although I do remember one of them boasting about how the original xbox was more powerful than the Wii. Sony on the other hand likes to take jabs at Nintendo directly or indirectly rather often. Like when Move came out there was Kevin Butler commercials saying motion gaming isn't just for kids anymore, and stuff like that.

So yeah, you better believe they are competing.
is your sanity...