Author Topic: The YouTube Thread.  (Read 616632 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: The YouTube Thread.
« Reply #1450 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:13 AM »
Yeah, I watched it for the first three minutes and couldn't take anymore. All it does is re-inforce my notion that Youtube is a vast wasteland of mediocrity. If you think people making commentary about another person's commentary of him playing a game is worth your time, great. I could make this more meta and make comments about the commentary of the commentary but I find the source material to be too unusable to make any worthwhile comments.

And on that matter, when did it become such a big thing to watch people play video games? Oblivion posted about this Twitch TV being dead, which I'd never heard of, and, looking at the site, it just seems to be a whole bunch of videos of people playing games and giving commentary while playing it. Seriously? Why do I care what dumb schmuck number 7 thinks or reacts to while playing a game? If it is a game I'm never going to play, there's no reason for me to care or want to sit through someone else playing through it with piss-poor commentary. If it is a game I haven't played but want to, I'm not going to watch because I don't want it spoiled. And if it is a game I've played, I'd rather play it again then be passively watching it while moron number 10 makes inane chatter the whole time.

When I play games, I do it the proper way which is silently! Or in the case of Donkey Kong Country Returns, toss my controller in a state of disbelief onto the seat beside me and then swear at the TV that when the credits roll, I'm writing down the names of everyone involved in the game and hunting them all down to make them each pay for this display of programming sadism. Also allowed is standing up when completing a moment of great difficulty, chest puffed out like a victorious roman gladiator and taking a bow towards the window and world for showing such gaming perfection and not allowing it to beat you. Am I the only one who gets it in life these days? Yeesh.

Still, I'll take the route of Elliot Gould's Phillip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye and declare like him that it's ok with me.  You want to watch this stuff and post it, it's ok with me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:50:12 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #1451 on: August 09, 2014, 12:57:09 AM »
I blame the Angry Video Game Nerd.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 09, 2014, 01:02:54 AM »
Yeah, I watched it for the first three minutes and couldn't take anymore. All it does is re-inforce my notion that Youtube is a vast wasteland of mediocrity. If you think people making commentary about another person's commentary of him playing a game is worth your time, great. I could make this more meta and make comments about the commentary of the commentary but I find the source material to be too unusable to make any worthwhile comments.

And on that matter, when did it become such a big thing to watch people play video games? Oblivion posted about this Twitch TV being dead, which I'd never heard of, and, looking at the site, it just seems to be a whole bunch of videos of people playing games and giving commentary while playing it. Seriously? Why do I care what dumb schmuck number 7 thinks or reacts to while playing a game? If it is a game I'm never going to play, there's no reason for me to care or want to sit through someone else playing through it with piss-poor commentary. If it is a game I haven't played but want to, I'm not going to watch because I don't want it spoiled. And if it is a game I've played, I'd rather play it again then be passively watching it while moron number 10 makes inane chatter the whole time.

When I play games, I do it the proper way which is silently! Or in the case of Donkey Kong Country Returns, toss my controller in a state of disbelief onto the seat beside me and then swear at the TV that when the credits roll, I'm writing down the names of everyone involved in the game and hunting them all down to make them each pay for this display of programming sadism. Also allowed is standing up when completing a moment of great difficulty, chest puffed out like a victorious roman gladiator and taking a bow towards the window and world for showing such gaming perfection and not allowing it to beat you. Am I the only one who gets it in life these days? Yeesh.

Still, I'll take the route of Elliot Gould's Phillip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye and declare like him that it's ok with me.  You want to watch this stuff and post it, it's ok with me.

Well Khush, like with all things, usually what's popular isn't what's good. I din't watch as much Youtube as I used to, but most of what it appeals to me is their playthrough and the the commentary they bring to it. Almost every single person that is "big" usually has a toxic personality that ruins it.

I've noticed that the smaller guys tend to be far more down to earth and provide interesting commentary. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw3TYQ-eEhE

She provides something interesting for fans of the game by playing it in a way that most cannot do any longer, while being competent at the game and showing me a side of it I've never seen before. And she doesn't let her "personality" get in the way of the gameplay.

With Twitch.tv, it's the same thing. Most of the popular stuff isn't that great, unless you like the game. With DOTA and LoL, these games are always different experiences, and they tend to be pros. People watch those livestreams for the community. Plus, the games tend not to be single-player experiences. Obviously, they would tend to get boring pretty quickly.

For me, I watch Dark Souls streamers. At most, they tend to have 100-2000 viewers when they stream. Which, relatively, isn't very much. I can say that I watch their streams because of the constant quality of gameplay, interesting challenges they do, and of course the different personalities that all come together at times. Something like this is why I watch them (it's youtube but its from an old twitch stream):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VrXUN9pSBQ

It really is a different world from ten years ago, which is why non-gamers, "casuals", or older gamers don't usually understand it. *shrug*

I once wanted to get into stream but I realized I don't have what I love: I'm not good at video games, I'm not funny, and my personality is absolutely dreadful. ;) 

I blame the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Not even close.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 09, 2014, 01:12:14 AM »
usually what's popular isn't what's good

See, this is where the illusion breaks down, because TJ Spyke would never, ever say that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 09, 2014, 01:41:26 AM »
usually what's popular isn't what's good

See, this is where the illusion breaks down, because TJ Spyke would never, ever say that.

Heh. I guess I'm not trying very hard.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »

and bonus vid:

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1456 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
Ceric's been able to prove that Netflix is "smoking the crack" for months.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1457 on: August 14, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
BUT GUY'S WE ALL KNOW THAT JONTRON IS THE BEST!!
CLICK THE LINK AT SIDE!
Looks at caps lock... SON OF A Giritina!
Made you look ****.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 19, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
Foo Fighters win the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, and the internet.

I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 19, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
LOL. I was waiting for the mass massacre of the crowd via ice water from buckets though.

Here is Breaking Bad doing Hardcore Pawn ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 19, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
not a youtube vid.

But this guy on a Motorcycle runs full speed into the back of this car on a busy 4 lane road. LOL

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d5e_1408462761

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 19, 2014, 11:39:30 PM »
Crash survival level: Spider-Man.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: August 19, 2014, 11:42:55 PM »
If only they had an open Sun roof. Then he could have upgraded from Spider-Man to Jackie Chan :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 21, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
I didn't know whether to put this in the Random LOL of the Day thread or the Youtube thread, but here we are. I chose here since there was already another ALS Ice Bucket "Challenge" video in here.

50 Cent challenge Mayweather - offers to donate $750k

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 22, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »
Patrick Stewart - ALS ice bucket challenge

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: August 25, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
The Funhouse as seen through a special filter

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 25, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
Sadly I read somewhere that the fart video is fake. Premise is correct though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: August 27, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »
From the creator of Nigga Turtles, brings you Disney Uncensored hosted by World Star Hip Hop

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhM43txG8kx6VqO673

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 30, 2014, 02:33:50 AM »
I'm a horror movie fan and I'd be lying if I didn't say this was absolutely terrifying in the most hilarious way possible

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »
L.O.L.

Giant Mutant Spider Dog Prank.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: September 04, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »
Dude that's fucking awesome!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
Here is a gif gallery of the video

http://imgur.com/gallery/mdS1y

But the best part was at the end:

that guy had me laughing my ass off. I don't blame him though. It was unexpected and at night... and he was alone. so I probably would have done some stupid "horror movie" thing too took off, but I doubt I would have tried to go through the "web".

I'm just glad no one hurt the dog.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 17, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »
I'm sure this fake, but she is still my hero

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: September 17, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
I always want to do that when I see people litter.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 06, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
I thought this was pretty cool.

Woman carves Groot Statue using chainsaws