Author Topic: This is a little unreasonable  (Read 5736 times)

Offline SuperCube

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
This is a little unreasonable
« on: March 17, 2003, 09:31:18 AM »
   OK, here's the story. As usual, on Friday nights I don't usually play PGC's trivia and instead I just chat along with my buddies on other channels. Well, I took a peek inside the channel window (I was already inside the channel beforehand) and I see a strange trivia question come up. I don't know, but I then used my smilie @~@. That basically means, "OK, that's... funky" And guess what! Windy has underline as an auto kick/ban and he bans me for underlining one character! He didn't even look at what I said. He just had the kick in an IRC script! Now, this was a month ago. A month, and I still haven't gotten a reply from Rick, or Windy from the email I sent them both.

Yes, I did read the rules. It says that if you underline that you're banned. But, it also stated the reason WHY you would be. I don't think I came up to those standards. This is 1.) Rude for not even replying 2.) Stupid for having me banned for an entire month for underlining one character. I also read that if you complain about an op's judgement or something like that, it's not going to help. Well, I'm not complaining about Windy's judgement because he didn't even judge if this should be considered rulebreaking.

I'd appreciate if it Rick would finally say something about this or some other mod/op. This is just stupid for being banned over something that probably didn't get anybody attention. (Which is why they dont' want color, bold, or underlining in the channel)

By the way, if I had actually underlined my message(s) like this, I should be banned. But this is just pathetic.

*I figured I'd get somebody's attention if I posted here*

Also, Rick. I found a typo in your editorial about how Nintendo fans would run Nintendo.

"Nintendo is a public company, and like any responsible public company, they’re number one goal is to be profitable."
"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."

- A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 01:41:50 PM »
More people here are banned than the flow of new members coming. You're not allowed to actually do anything that a normal forum will let you do.
Anyway, Rick will probably ban you permanently now for "complaining in public".  
He'll probably ban me too.
<(0_________o)>

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 02:38:29 PM »
Oh, whatever.  I'm not half the ogre you all make me out to be.  Not to mention that your assumption about the number of people that have been banned is a blatant lie based on absolutely no facts.  You know how many people have been banned in the Forums so far?  SIX.

SuperCube was banned for using an underline symbol, something he was warned against using.  I'm not the one who banned him, so there isn't much I can do about it.  That said, he was banned for a legitimate reason.  Yes, it was probably overly strict, but we need to be during trivia.   Anyway, I'm having Windy look into it.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 02:41:48 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
That said, he was banned for a legitimate reason.

Excuse me? In what way is it legitimate for someone to be banned for underlining ONE character?
He didn't to it just to get attention. That automatic banning tool for underlining should not be used.

Edit: Of course I was exaggerating, Rick. It just seems like the rules here are way too tight compared to other forums I have been too. Why can't we loosen up, just a little? Wouldn't that make the forum body much happier to be here?
Looser rules != Complete chaos.    
<(0_________o)>

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 02:50:27 PM »
As I've said several times, every rule we have is a direct response to problems we've had with people in the past.  You want looser rules?  Feel free to go somewhere else.  No one is forcing you to stay here.  All we ask is that if you're GOING to be here, that you abide by the rules.  Is THAT so hard?  No.

That said, no one has ever been banned for simply disagreeing with me, either.  There are several people still here that I'd love to ban if they'd only give me a reason, but that hasn't happened yet.  I don't ban people just out of spite alone.  I will ban people that are disagreeing with me in a disrespectful manner, and are clearly doing it just to antagonize me, though.  You can have a difference of opinion and express it in a respectful way.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 02:53:32 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
As I've said several times, every rule we have is a direct response to problems we've had with people in the past.  You want looser rules?  Feel free to go somewhere else.  No one is forcing you to stay here.  All we ask is that if you're GOING to be here, that you abide by the rules.  Is THAT so hard?  No.

Of course I'll abide by the rules here, I know better than to get myself banned or censored from an internet forum.

That said, no one has ever been banned for simply disagreeing with me, either.  There are several people still here that I'd love to ban if they'd only give me a reason, but that hasn't happened yet.  I don't ban people just out of spite alone.

Well, that's good, I guess.
Since I obviously don't have much of a voice here, I'll shut up... fair enough.

Edit: Well, at least I can express my opinion to some level.
<(0_________o)>

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 02:59:02 PM »
First the subject of you getting banned in the first place.  As it clearly states in the rules:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/specials.cfm?action=profile&id=88

Do not use bold, underline, color, or any other abnormal text in the channel. This is reserved for the chat hosts only, since people will react to any outstanding text in the channel. There is no reason for you to use any special text while you chat. You will be immediately banned for doing this.

I don't care if you're underlining one character or an entire sentence, there is absolutely no reason you need to use the special "" underlining character for anything.  My autoban scripts find the not-so-magic words and the s and act on those.  If you use them, for any reason, they go.  That's all there is to it.  There are thousands of smilies on the internet, and you don't need to use one with an underline in it to express yourself.  Use something else.  Or better yet, here's a novel concept for you: USE WORDS!  

As for you staying banned, that's half my fault for not getting back to you, and half me forgetting which ban you were.  After trivia, I usually unban all the people who got axed for minor offenses (which include all regulars to Trivia, which I consider you one, SuperCube) so they can come back for radio trivia.  I suppose I missed you when I filtered back through the logs finding those who were just mistaken in their typing.  So I'm sorry about that.

Not replying to your email a little bad timing on your part, but it's still my fault.  I remember seeing it as my new school semester started and how extremely busy I was with that.  Combined how I am with email, if I don't reply to it right away, it just sits on my computer until I clean my inbox out and start fresh.  I didn't think twice about it until this little thread popped up.  So I apologize about that mess.

Either way, I see you on the chat server, /whois-ed you, and unbanned you.  I'm terribly sorry about this mess, and will fix my scripts up to better unban the minor offenders.  Just remember, the next time I'm there hosting Trivia (which won't be for a few more weeks, school and all), just don't use any foolish smilies.  There are far better ways to express yourself, and many, many more that won't get you banned.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline SuperCube

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 03:15:32 PM »
Thanks Windy. I appreciate the quick response. I won't use the little underline thingie anymore in #planetchat. At least you said something about it though. I was getting worried that you may have thought I was one of those guys who were like, "unban plz. kthx." At least we have it all cleared up. ^_^

Even so, It was a bit foolish on my part since I was warned earlier (about a month before).  
"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 04:52:58 PM »

Of course I was exaggerating, Rick. It just seems like the rules here are way too tight compared to other forums I have been too. Why can't we loosen up, just a little? Wouldn't that make the forum body much happier to be here?

i've been on forums both less strict and more strict than here. The PGC forum strikes that rare balance between both. Granted, things could be a bit looser around here, but ultimately that would be the demise of things. Just be glad that PGC recognizes the importance of a well-moderated forum to a website.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 08:28:00 PM »
well if there is one good thing to come out of all of this, i now have a new irc server to be on

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 01:11:05 AM »

Originally posted by: aoi tsuki

Of course I was exaggerating, Rick. It just seems like the rules here are way too tight compared to other forums I have been too. Why can't we loosen up, just a little? Wouldn't that make the forum body much happier to be here?

i've been on forums both less strict and more strict than here. The PGC forum strikes that rare balance between both. Granted, things could be a bit looser around here, but ultimately that would be the demise of things. Just be glad that PGC recognizes the importance of a well-moderated forum to a website.

Yes, I understand.
<(0_________o)>

Offline Joshums

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 02:47:47 PM »
I am permanently banned from #planetchat because Cowface chose to voice me when he took over the chat LOL!
Ph33r teh Joshums!!!11

Offline SuperCube

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2003, 02:54:21 PM »
Oh man those were the days... like 4 months ago. lol

Offline Joshums

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 06:05:13 PM »
Isn't it a little hypocritical to have a ban script when scripts are against the rules?
Ph33r teh Joshums!!!11

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 10:48:54 PM »
yeah that makes sence, dont nitpick, i dont know how many irc channels you hang out on, but im on quite alot, and its normal to have no script rules while the ops have swear/colour etc ban scripts

**PIAC sets mode: -n00bs

Offline SuperCube

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2003, 03:49:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Joshums
Isn't it a little hypocritical to have a ban script when scripts are against the rules?
That does sound kinda hypocritical. But since Windy is "busy" with Trivia he needs his own little script to do his dirty work for him.