Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 675081 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: Season Suspended Due To Pandemic And Gobert Dumbassery
« Reply #2225 on: April 01, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
That'd be pretty awesome. So the plan is to jump straight into the playoffs?

Good time to switch to the Top 16 for a test run.

I bet this will be the HIGHEST RATED anything, and something to brag appropriately in these crazy times.

I haven't heard anything on jumping straight to the playoffs but I do know the Phoenix Suns plans to play at the "Madhouse at McDowell" while the Talking Stick Resort Arena is being renovated so in all likelihood the NBA would finish the season out now if that is with the remaining games up to today or whenever the season starts again or with the remaining 17-18 games from when things were suspended.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 01, 2020, 12:05:17 PM »
Having all teams in one location, with maybe a couple of venues active so that they could play an abbreviated, maybe almost college-like playoffs could be really exciting.

I hope they don't jump right in though. The play would be sloppy to start, and I'm really worried that conditioning issues would lead to injuries and/or problems. That said, any basketball would be good basketball at this point - even if filled with sloppy and lazy play.

Anyone planning to watch the 2K tournament coming up this week? My team doesn't have a representative, but it still might be interesting. Depends on how much trash talk is allowed through. It would be kind of awesome to have commentators instead of keeping the players on mic all game though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2227 on: April 01, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
Having all teams in one location, with maybe a couple of venues active so that they could play an abbreviated, maybe almost college-like playoffs could be really exciting.

I hope they don't jump right in though. The play would be sloppy to start, and I'm really worried that conditioning issues would lead to injuries and/or problems. That said, any basketball would be good basketball at this point - even if filled with sloppy and lazy play.

Anyone planning to watch the 2K tournament coming up this week? My team doesn't have a representative, but it still might be interesting. Depends on how much trash talk is allowed through. It would be kind of awesome to have commentators instead of keeping the players on mic all game though.

As far as jumping in right away I would imagine there would be an   league wide testing protocal to make sure every team is cleared.  Then an abbrevated training camp of maybe 2 to 4 weeks to get back to where everyone was. Then finish the regular season and then have the playoffs in one city. 

Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2228 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:44 PM »
I think they should play like 5 games before playoffs, if they can.  That gives player a chance to get the rust off.

I'm thinking they could prioritize the games remaining with the most playoff implications, then draft lottery implications, and finally just whatever gets everyone five games to play (or 70 games played total).  I know 5 games wouldn't cause a lot of movement, even in "best case" scenarios, but it could cause a little in some seeds, which could build a little excitement.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2229 on: April 04, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »
Well the 2020 Hall of Fame inductees have been announced.

Kobe Bryant, Tamika Catchings, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett from the players side.
Rudy Tomjanovich, Eddie Sutton, Barbara Stevens and Kim Mulkey from the coaches side.
Finally Patrick Baumann as an executive.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 06, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »
More NBA Action..... however we can get it. LOL

I hope it's live so they can't do "takes".
Curry better be involved too.
I wonder if they'll be selecting team reps, or maybe multiple people per team, or just certain players on that "all-star"/"rising star" list to participate?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2231 on: April 06, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »
Gotta be just whoever they can get with the appropriate star power.  I can't see the NBA trying to make this a team thing when they're probably struggling just to get something going.

Good NBA HoF class, but now I'm sad about Kobe again.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2232 on: April 12, 2020, 01:42:23 AM »
Well the 2K Players tourney just wrapped up and two Suns players were in the finals. Ayton and Booker.

Booker beat Ayton in an entertaining finals.

For BnM and others... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZqAVr-QX4
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2233 on: April 17, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »
Well the 15th of April was the last day of the regular season and I was going to go and see the Lakers face the Suns but that was before everything got shut down.  I guess there is always next season...  I wonder how long this will last.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2234 on: April 17, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
But yeah in other news the NBA and players Association has agreeed to withhold pay starting on May 15th.

https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2020/4/17/21225674/sacramento-kings-nba-news-player-paychecks-withhold-25-percent-force-majeure 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: April 17, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
except for those clients of Rich Paul, from what I heard. They get paid, regardless. it's in the contract.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:11 PM »
Well the 15th of April was the last day of the regular season and I was going to go and see the Lakers beat the Suns
FTFY

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2237 on: April 17, 2020, 11:54:14 PM »
Well the 15th of April was the last day of the regular season and I was going to go and see the Lakers beat the Suns
FTFY
Pretty much.  I wanted to see how the new look Lakers from all the buyout additions were going to look as a team.  I wanted to see if the Suns were even close to a playoff spot.  Things would of been interesting if things were so that the Suns needed to win versus the Lakers to make it into the playoffs. The atmosphere would of been nice. Ah well...
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 24, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »
Are people watching the new Jordan documentary?
It's fun.  Reminds me of being back in junior high, when we got to watch some of the old Jordan documentaries during class time.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 13, 2020, 08:48:05 PM »
05/13/2004 - Never forget.

For BNM

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2240 on: May 13, 2020, 11:24:49 PM »
He's an impressively underrated player.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2241 on: May 13, 2020, 11:33:02 PM »
Fisher was a key piece to the Kobe and Shaq Lakers.  To think he was drafted the same year as Kobe.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 22, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
Legendary Jazz coach Jerry Sloan died today at the age of 78.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/05/22/jerry-sloan-dies-nba-coach-utah-jazz-chicago-bulls/1767797001/

The guy was one of my role models growing up, and you will rarely find anyone who worked as hard as he & his squads did, and in a considerably rougher league than we have today. He deserved better than this. He deserved better than to be chased out if the league by Deron Williams. He deserved better than to be colloquially considered a "lesser coach" for having never won a championship.

He deserved better than to die the same week as that fucking Jordan documentary reached the Jazz-Bulls finals.

Edit: The Jazz organization have posted a short tribute video. I wouldn't be surprised if they finally commissioned that statue of him to go along with the Stockton & Malone ones in front of the stadium, too. Sloan was always reluctant to have one made.

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cIOAmTddQs
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:04:45 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/05/26/damian-lillard-i-wont-play-if-trail-blazers-have-no-shot-at-playoffs/

Dame pretty much lays it out there and I agree with him. Right now the only team mathematically eliminated is the Warriors (LOL) but if you can't guarantee a full end of the season why would you put yourself at risk just to play out a fraction of the games left. And that's before you factor in a significantly reduced off-season.

If (big if) the NBA resumes they really should go straight to playoffs.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1265302104379457536?s=20

Pelicans feels the same way.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:37:23 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 26, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »
It seems like the NBA should do something along the line of what the NHL's doing, with an expanded playoff field and a round robin setup for seeding to get the teams back in form beforehand.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 26, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
if you can't guarantee a full end of the season why would you put yourself at risk just to play out a fraction of the games left.
At risk for Coronavirus or injury?

Lillard said he would be with the team but not actually play. I get it and wouldn’t want to play either. I probably would though. If none of this happened and this was a normal season, I imagine Lillard would still play those final games if the Blazers were eliminated from playoff contention even with a minutes restriction. A potentially shortened offseason complicates things. There’s talk of postponing next season to December.

Semi-related: Some analysts are in favor of just scrapping the season because the champion will always have an asterisk next to it. Yes and no. There’s an asterisk for sure, nothing like this has ever happened before, but the championship counts. Each team has already played more than 3/4 of the full schedule.

Shaq brought up the 1999 lockout shortened season. First, Shaq is just bitter he got swept by the Spurs. If the Lakers won that year, he would say it totally counts. Second, if anything, I imagine it’s harder to be off for three months in the middle of the season and come back to play in front of no fans. I think they should try to get to at least 70 games. The playoffs are going to be a shitshow if teams don’t get some run in first.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: May 26, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »
Scrapping the season for the NBA or NHL would suck because there was enough of a season that teams and fans for the best teams would have been thinking "This is our year!  We've got the right personnel and everything is gelling and we might never have everything come together like this again."  The 1994 Montreal Expos had the best season prior to the World Series being cancelled.  It remains the ultimate "what if" team and arguably started a domino effect that ended with them moving to Washington.  They looked like favourites and were not able to duplicate that success after that.  Do we really want more stories like that if we can avoid it?  Winning the championship in the COVID 19 season still seems better than being the best team all year and then not getting a chance at the championship.

Funny that Shaq brings up 1999.  Oh yeah I guess the damn Spurs, that would win five titles through Tim Duncan's career, were some lucky fluke team that sullies the record books, as opposed to an organization that clearly knew what they were doing winning a title.  Like if it was some one season wonder, I get it, but it ended up being a team that contended and won titles for years afterwards.  No asterisk needed.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: May 26, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »
It seems like the NBA should do something along the line of what the NHL's doing, with an expanded playoff field and a round robin setup for seeding to get the teams back in form beforehand.

From a complete outsider perspective nothing that the US has done in terms of prevention/testing would lead me to believe y'all are ready for resumption of sports, even without fans. NASCAR already started up, MMA has as well. I don't understand why anyone would want half a dozen travelling circuses across the nation in the middle of a pandemic.

NHL just announced a plan for resumption of play. MLB has been at this for weeks now.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: May 26, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Not sure about the other leagues, but i think the rumor going around is the NBA is planning to play the rest of the season exclusively at Disney World. Florida gonna Florida, but at least there’s no traveling.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: May 26, 2020, 04:56:44 PM »
MLS is also looking at playing at Disney, and the NHL's plan involves two hub cities, one for each conference. The only American league that's planning on any travel anytime soon is baseball.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent