Author Topic: battery backup  (Read 2451 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
battery backup
« on: March 18, 2003, 05:26:43 PM »
anyone have any idea how long the battery lasts in gba (or gb, gbc, n64, snes and nes for that matter) games that have battery backup?  am i going to have to worry about losing my save files in 20 years?  is there a way to change the battery in catridges so you can save games if/when the battery dies?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
battery backup
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 06:01:29 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
anyone have any idea how long the battery lasts in gba (or gb, gbc, n64, snes and nes for that matter) games that have battery backup?  am i going to have to worry about losing my save files in 20 years?  is there a way to change the battery in catridges so you can save games if/when the battery dies?
I don't know how long the battery lasts but I'm sure if you even could replace the battery that when you did so you would lose all of your save info any way. I know that on the NES carts saves would only last like 5 yrs. At least that was what one of the warnings in the game manuals would say. I'm sure things are a lot better than that now.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
battery backup
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 08:10:37 PM »
It would be a good question, if it were relevant.  I'm pretty sure that GBA games don't use battery backup anymore.  That's 80's tech.  They use NVRAM chips now, non-volatile RAM that keeps it's data after power off.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline yrrab436

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
battery backup
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 08:34:46 PM »
The GBA Action Replay lets you backup your GBA saves.  I don't think it works with normal GB saves though, but I'm not sure.

As I always note when I mention the Action Replay, it is the true GameShark brand.  If anything new comes out with the GameShark name, it is the GameShark brand in name only.  Datel, the makers of all previous GameShark products, is behind the Action Replay and the Action Replay has always been the same product as the GameShark.

Anyway,"http://www.codejunkies.com" is the website.  I'm sure other companies have stuff out there too, but Datel immediately popped to mind.

Edit:
the above is only for PCs running Windows though.