Author Topic: GBA vs GBA SP  (Read 20925 times)

Offline CrYpTiC

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« on: February 23, 2003, 11:17:46 AM »
I am thinking about buying a GBA or GBA SP. With a lot of the traveling I will be doing I think it will be a worthy investment, and come in handy at boring times. My question is, is the GBA SP really worth it? I am thinking about just getting a GBA. The SP just looks different and the hardware is the same. The size doesn't really matter since the GBA is small and unnoticable in my pockets anway. I'm not sure about glare or whatever but on my Game Boy Pocket I never had glare. I played all the time. Is the sound on the SP and GBA the same? Are the speakers the same? Thanks for helping.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 12:28:36 PM »
I would get a GBA SP. The front light alone makes it a better purchase than the GBA.

All the specs are the same for the GBA SP.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 01:59:16 PM »
One thing is that you are not just going to be able to throw the GBA in your pocket. The reason is is the screen will probably look like you took steel wool to it afterwards. With the SP though it folds up protecting the screen from such scratches. Also it's very hard to see the screen clearly on the GBA unless you are sitting right under a bright lamp or something. This means unless you have a lighting devise it's not very portable. I don't remember who it was but somebody said that since the SP's speaker is now in the center instead of off to the side like on the GBA it sounds better and is much louder.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 03:05:20 PM »
I threw my Game Boy Pocket into my pocket, on the floor, just about anywhere and the screen was never dusty. Does anyone else have any more opinions? I would rather spend less on the GBA and buy some games then blow it all on the SP and get one game. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the GBA. I just need it in another color...the ones available are horrible.
Best Browser Available
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 03:46:47 PM »

Originally posted by: CrYpTiC
I threw my Game Boy Pocket into my pocket, on the floor, just about anywhere and the screen was never dusty.

Huh?  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Sean

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 07:58:37 PM »
If you don't have either, THERE IS NO QUESTION--never get either of them.

Okay, just kidding.

Obviously, the SP is the way to go, but if you have a regular GBA already, and money is an issue (as it should likely be), don't get it just to have the latest thing.  Unless you live in a cave, which would make the back-light a true godsend.  Yeah, yeah, yeah.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 05:20:53 PM »
actually, even if u werent in a cave... u wouldnt be able to see the GBA clearly sometimes. there is also glare cuz it is lit from an outside source. even though i have trained myself so that i instinctively can find the best angle( sometimes u dont even think about it) i still have to be cautios sometimes while playing metroid fusion or something. like, i cant run without worrying about what i cant see. well anyways ya. GBA SP is comfortable too. wish i could get one...

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 09:10:54 PM »
whats the price difference between GBA and SP? im pretty sure im going to get an SP, but i wanted to see if EB's deal of trade 2 GBA games + gba + $50 for a GBA SP was worth it

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 02:03:38 AM »
Read PGC's GBA SP previews. Useful stuff.

Offline Kuchakor

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 10:44:39 AM »
EB is offering a trade in where you trade in original GBA, and GBA SP is only $59.99.

Will gameboy camera, and that gba tv tuner work on GBAsp??
Town: TVLand
Name: Kuchakor

Whatya up to Norm?

My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 03:19:28 PM »
Ok heres what I have come up with. The GBA is bigger then the SP, but comfortably bigger. The screen does not glare and I have never had a glare problem on any of my Game Boys. The GBA is cheaper, same hardware, same sound. Also at my Best Buy if you purchase a GBA you get a free magnifying(if I spelled that right) glass. The saved money could help me buy a few games...this is what I'm thinking about getting.

Zelda A Link to the Past
Zelda Four Swords
Golden Sun
Sonic Advance 2 (when it comes out)
Mario (I'm going to compare and see which one I like)

I will probably go with 2 of these but get them all eventually.
Best Browser Available
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2003, 03:36:46 PM »
Oh yeah forgot to ask, currently what are the colors available for the GBA?  
Best Browser Available
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2003, 07:44:33 AM »
it depends on if you want to buy a new system or not.  
you can probably get a used gba for $20 on ebay.  
lots of people are selling their regular gba so they can get the gba sp.  
if you want to get a new system, pay the extra $30 and buy a gba sp.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2003, 11:35:21 AM »
I bought a GBA from some freshman at my school for $5, so the GBA SP won't be too much of a punch in the wallet since I didn't really pay for a GBA to begin with.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 12:46:38 PM »
i can't wait to get the SP.  I love my GBA, but the problems it has with lighht and screen scratches is too numerous.  I don't know who said there were no problems, but they lied, the light is veryVERY aggravating, and the screen does get dirty very easily.  I am, however, worried about how comfortable the SP will be.  I guess that is my determining factor.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 01:02:24 PM »
I would get an SP.  The GBA screen is just ridiculously hard to see.  Even with a light source you have to angle the system just right to see everything clearly.  If you don't care about specific graphic details and just want to see enough to play it's alright but I tend to get frustrated when I can't see everything clearly.  What good are the graphics if I can't see them in any sort of detail?

The only reason I don't have an SP is because I already have a GBA and I don't feel like plopping down a hundred bucks for new hardware so soon after the GBA's release especially to fix a problem that Nintendo was well aware of ahead of time and could have "fixed" the first time around.  If I didn't have a GBA (and the GB Player wasn't coming out) I would have bought an SP for sure.

The extra money is well worth it.  If you buy a regular GBA you'll be cursing its sh!tty screen within the first ten minutes of playing it.

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 04:06:06 AM »
Hey CrYpTic, the avaolable GBA colors are Artic (white) Glacier (purplish clear color) Indigo (thing purple game cube), and Fuschia (hot pink). For a time Target had an exclusive Red GBA, and Toys R Us had a Jet Black one. Then there are a ton of special colors, the limited edition Platinum one, the various Pokemon center ones (available at Pokemon centers in New York and Japan only if im not mistaken). When the SP is released it will be available in platinum and cobalt (a dark bluish kind of color). If your going at it on the cheap, go ahead and get the regular GBA and a bunch of games and go at it, but the GBA was unplayable to me (im blind as a bat) so I cant wait for the SP to play Castlevania and Fusion.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline tech9

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2003, 01:22:44 AM »
  Ill be grabing a GBA SP but im going to keep my old one.

Its my understanding that the SP is linkable with the current GBA.

Is this true??

thx
 mark

Offline ChrisMayer

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2003, 02:57:17 PM »
Yeah, the SP links to the standard GBA. I've got an import GBA SP and I've been testing the various features, it is compatiable with the E-Reader too, dispite what some people initially thought.

You can check out my GBA SP review here

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2003, 04:57:10 PM »
Ok this is what I have come up with. After playing my sister's GBA I realized the GBA does glare when your shadow is over it. Otherwise no glare. I have yet to play a SP so I'm going to go to Best Buy and try one out. I'm definetly getting a Red or Black GBA and if SP then Black.
Best Browser Available
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline joeyjojo

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2003, 03:33:57 AM »
im chuckin in my 2 cents before i hit the sack.
i was at eb tonight and this guy tried to sell me an SP.  i took it off him and held it and checked it out. but i sure aint giving him $50, my GBA, and a couple of games to have it. i dont think its really overwhelmingly better than GBA. im not hating on it but i think my GBA is more comfortable (and has its OWN headphone jack which i dont have to fork over any MORE cash for).  yeah, the SP looks cool, its smaller and has a light and centralised speaker. im not quite sold though.  the end

ps. please dont post a message telling me how wrong i am. it scares me.
"OMG! I gotz teh powerup guys!"
-rick "powerup" powers

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2003, 04:47:12 PM »
the GBA and GB color are completely different, the color is way easier to see the screen , or at least for me it was, still hard but easier then the GBA.  Cryptic, every single post here has suggested you spend the extra 30 something bucks and get the sp if you have no GBA yet that is the better option more then likely , but to be sure, wait till it comes out and go try them out at gamestop  or eb side by side. then you will know for sure.

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2003, 05:32:15 PM »
I tried the SP few hours ago. Well I like it, it looks very cool and sleek, BUT it is just too small for my liking. It looks more like a little portable device then a portable gaming system. I'm goin with the GBA. Does Target and Toys R Us still have that Red/Black Deal?
Best Browser Available
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2003, 06:05:34 PM »
where did you find a GBA sp to try out?
i thought the release date was the same as Zelda?

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2003, 09:05:47 PM »

Originally posted by: StRaNgE
where did you find a GBA sp to try out?

EB would most likely have a SP ready for public testing.

I, myself, have a GBA...a GBA platinum, thank you very much.  While a lighted screen sounds nice, I haven't had too much trouble looking at the screen to detract from my ability to play games.  I'll stick to my GBA.
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!