Author Topic: Xenosage, any chance for the Cube?  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Gunstar212

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Xenosage, any chance for the Cube?
« on: March 08, 2003, 03:48:32 AM »
topic pretty much says it all.

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 07:14:16 AM »
It's been said that the Xenosaga saga will be so long that it will span a decade and two consoles before it will be complete.  I don't think they meant two different brand consoles, though, but they can make the switch when its time for the next-gen like Capcom did with RE.  I've only played it for about 10 minutes at Walmart, skipping most cutscenes, so I can't tell if they're rendered in-engine of FMV.  If they are indeed in-engine, then the concept that getting rid of FMV to make games smaller in size apparently didn't hold true for this particular giant (I've heard it is 8.5gigs).  If it gains a big enough audience on PS2, then they might feel a bit more confident in throwing away that extra million dollars or so to stamp out a multi-GOD game (yes, those couple of extra cents add up).  But don't forget Monolith's next game is said to be Cube-exclusive, and so far the only two games they've made are Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 08:31:11 AM »
Slim to none.  That's my take on it.  I can wait for PCSX2 though.

daffunk12, it's FMV  (probably in MPEG2).  It's not in game graphics that are so big.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 09:58:59 AM »
There is a chance. They just hired a bunch of Gamecube programmers recently.

But Monolith has made 1 other game. Right before they started making Xenosaga.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 12:21:39 PM »
Mononliths making an exclusive game on the cube?

And here i was thinking that Gamecubes support was dying.

well i guess it still is, just not as much as i thought.
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Foolish boy, Do you even know who i am?

I am Gannondork, and one day I will rule the world!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 03:06:24 PM »
Monolith's Gamecube RPG is Baiten Katos, not Xenosaga. I don't know if Monolith or Namco WANT to put Xenosaga on the cube, but I doubt, even with the DivX tools, they could compress all the FMV to fit on the Gamecube disc. You'd need like 3.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 05:48:59 PM »
HA!

Yeah right.  Xenosaga: The Will to Build is 8.5 gigabytes in size.  How on earth would you fit that onto a GameCube?  Even if you use DivX and squash the movies by 50%, you'd still need ~4.5 gigabytes of storage space.  No way would that fit on a single GC disc.  You'd need at least 3 discs to fit all of it.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 04:05:31 PM »
Who cares? From what I've heard and read it is nothing but a big FMV-fest. I'll probably rent it to see for myself but I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen, or heard.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 04:11:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
Who cares? From what I've heard and read it is nothing but a big FMV-fest. I'll probably rent it to see for myself but I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen, or heard.

its true- xenosaga has some extreamly long cut scenes
in fact the first 6 hours or so of the game have only 1 hour of actual gameplay
but to some that maybe insane, but i liked it
after you get into it, the story really grabs you- it also becomes more balanced as you play
if you really wish though, you can skip every cut scene

as for it coming to the cube- i doubt it, unless they wish to bring future instalments to nintendo systems
hopefully that is true
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 05:37:38 PM »
Xenogears had very little gameplay in the second disc, and some of the cutscenes in the first disc were quite long.  It didn't keep the game from being the best RPG ever.  I don't think the second will be much different.

Some things I am quite unhappy about though:

No hand drawn cutscenes, and too much CG FMV
FMV is favored over cinematics now
3D non-cel shaded models are used rather than sprites as in the first game.

Nevertheless, if I wasn't a Nintendo fanboy, I would have bought a PS2 long ago for this specific game if nothing else.  (Truthfully, there isn't that much else that interests me on PS2)

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 05:58:28 PM »
whats the problem with using multiple GCN Disks? RE does it... I wouldnt mind some more RPGs regardless of who or what as long as they are good

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2003, 06:02:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
No hand drawn cutscenes, and too much CG FMV.  FMV is favored over cinematics now
You got it backwards.  Cutscenes are console-generated graphics.  FMVs are pre-rendered or live-action movies.  Kingdom Hearts was 100% cutscenes with no FMVs except the intro and exit movies.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2003, 06:23:01 AM »
The story that Xenogears and Xenosaga tell is deeper and more involved than any plot in a video game.  That kind of story requires a lot of cut scenes in order to tell it.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Oogle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2003, 05:25:47 PM »
Xenosaga has very little FMV cutscenes.  Most of it is rendered by the game engine.  I think that most of the space is taken up by the wide range of textures and lots of voice acting.  If I'm wrong about the cutscenes, then Namco's doing a lousy job with their heavily aliased FMVs...

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2003, 05:34:54 PM »
theaveng writes:

You got it backwards. Cutscenes are console-generated graphics. FMVs are pre-rendered or live-action movies. Kingdom Hearts was 100% cutscenes with no FMVs except the intro and exit movies.

Actually, I don't think the distinction is to be made here.  A cut-scene is a cut-scene whether it's console-generated or prerendered.  That's the way most people refer to it anyways.  Not a big deal either way, but really, the term FMV has gone by the wayside, as I see it.  It's more of a Sega CD-era term than anything else.

I'm with you Grey.  ;-)  Either way, moot point, hey?

-------------------------

Xenosage!  New from Namco for Sony PS2!  Watch as the world's religions crumble as the evil Thyme wages war against Sage Dressing, the eternal city of Spice.  Roleplay as Rosemary the Thatcher, Cumin the Smithy, and Coriander the Apprentice Baker!  Can the amazing Team Flavor conquer all and find the recipe for the perfect casserole?  Find out!
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2003, 06:16:43 PM »
Guys, Sean's right on this one.  A cutscene is typically defined as a non-interactive interruption of gameplay that advances the story.  A cutscene can be anything from still images with text a la the NES Ninja Gaiden games to full-blown video sequences that are typically used in today's games, whether they are rendered by the in-game engine (as seen in Zelda or Metroid Prime) or they are pre-rendered FMV clips like in Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc.  I hope that clarifies things a bit.
Why you call me, Grimlock, stupid?  Me not stupid!

--from the Transformers G1 episode "Grimlock's New Brain", where he gets really smart and creates the Technobots

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2003, 08:27:29 PM »
Sorry, I misused words slightly.  Here's what I meant.

The pre-rendered scenes are not hand drawn anymore.  They are CG rendered.
Too many of the cut scenes are pre-rendered rather than using the in-game engine.

I am a fan of cut scenes, as long as they don't look distinctly out of place, and serve a purpose.  Having FMV for the sake of having it is something that I have really come to hate Square for.  My favorite scenes of all time were not FMV, but graphics rendered in real time on the console, or at least using the same style as the in game graphics:

Metal Gear Solid:  Sniper Wolf.
Chrono Trigger:  Death Peak
Xenogears:  Ending (hand drawn anime style)
Ninja Gaiden:  Is that a woman?
Metal Gear Solid:  any scene with Grey Fox (Hence my name)
Zelda: OoT:  Link leaving the Kokiri Forest (or any scene with Shiek)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2003, 11:53:29 PM »

My favorite scenes of all time were not FMV, but graphics rendered in real time on the console, or at least using the same style as the in game graphics:

Metal Gear Solid:  Sniper Wolf.
Chrono Trigger:  Death Peak
Xenogears:  Ending (hand drawn anime style)
Ninja Gaiden:  Is that a woman?
Metal Gear Solid:  any scene with Grey Fox (Hence my name)
Zelda: OoT:  Link leaving the Kokiri Forest (or any scene with Shiek)

In my best PGC Moderator impersonation voice:  "That's a poll.  No polls allowed!"

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2003, 06:57:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Grimlock
Guys, Sean's right on this one.  A cutscene is typically defined as a non-interactive interruption of gameplay that advances the story.  A cutscene can be anything from still images with text a la the NES Ninja Gaiden games to full-blown video sequences that are typically used in today's games, whether they are rendered by the in-game engine (as seen in Zelda or Metroid Prime) or they are pre-rendered FMV clips like in Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc.  I hope that clarifies things a bit.
Okay.

Well, I *thought* Xenosaga used cartoon-style movies, rather than console-generated polygon scenes.  Those movies are what takes up the 8.5 gig disc space.

FF10 used mainly console-generated scenes, but in pivotal moments (like Sin attacking) they used pre-rendered CGI movies.  The movies were a LOT better than the console-generated scenes, because the characters looked more alive, the music was dramatic, and the action was much, much faster-paced.  I can't imagine FF10 without the pre-rendedered CGI movies.

Kingdom Hearts used a pre-rendered movie for the intro and the exit.  That's it.  The rest was console-generated polygon scenes.  These scenes were okay, but severely limited in scope.  I would have preferred Square throw in some pre-rendered movies.

Offline Oogle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2003, 07:29:01 AM »

Too many of the cut scenes are pre-rendered rather than using the in-game engine.

That's incorrect.  Like I mentioned earlier, Xenosaga uses the in-game engine for most of it's cutscenes.  It's easy to tell because of the jaggy/aliased graphics.