Author Topic: Silicon Knights.  (Read 32416 times)

Offline TimeToDie

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2003, 07:18:27 PM »
i think that they should make a game that is like in the futrure and u have to get stuff to make your self better like new body parts which lets u choose how u want to play the game like mgs or like duke nukeum.... if they take my idea though i will have to buy the game and beat it like it was a kid game....o no kid game i hate that word slams head in to wall.....hey some day like in  5 years i will make games and u will all bow down to me lol then i will make my game witch sounds like too human but isnt because of copy right laws but u can pretend it is hahaha.....

no one is listing to me so im going home wait i am home aaaaahhhhhh

mommy

stop mommy

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2003, 07:47:52 PM »
Time to take your ridilyn (sp?) I think....   But I never noticed Mantorok whispering either.

One thing that I have always wondered about the game though is the very premise that the game was built upon.  Alex is a perfectly normal woman.  She has a nightmare in the intro, but other than that, things are fairly normal.  Her Grandfather's missing head is kind of unusual, and sort of unexplained by my theory, but bear with me.

As Alex reads the book, her sanity level drops lower and lower as she finishes each chapter.  The book is driving her insane.  Furthermore, the mansion is COMPLETELY normal unless your sanity meter has dropped down.  No monsters, no blood dripping down the walls, no nothing.  This leads me to believe that the entire experience might very well be a giant hallucination brought on by a very disturbing book and the bizarre murder of her grandfather.

This MIGHT be adressed in the 3rd ending, but I have not seen it yet, as my sister has my copy of the game, and I cannot get it from her...  (I am about halfway through the 3rd scenario too).
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2003, 08:14:52 PM »
I don't remember that well, it's been a while since I played the game.

If you want to hear what Mantorok talks like, use a Mantorok rune, I think.

And you can hear his growls when you see him in Ellia's chapter.

I'm pretty sure I heard his growls while I playing the game... I'm not sure exactly where though.

And as for his voice, for examples of what I'm talking about, listen closely in Michael's chapter... the voice that says "Destroy... this" is none other than Mantorok's. At least as far as I can make out.

Basically, my conclusion based on all the sounds I heard was that Mantorok was leading all of them to destroy all the other Gods.

Also, I'm 80% sure the Tome of Eternal Darkness was created by Mantorok, as was the room in which you get it. The faces, the skeleton hand holding it, the eyes on the book... I linked those with "Corpse" in "Corpse God".
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2003, 01:14:27 AM »
I think its really cool how complex ED is, and how we are still talking about all the mysteries this game holds.
I never knew about the 'Roivas' thing, interesting!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2003, 02:31:05 AM »
SPOILERS!

"This MIGHT be adressed in the 3rd ending,"

It's not. The 3rd "ending" really isn't an ending at all- it's more of a nice little reward for beating all 3 quests that explains how they all tie in. It's really interesting, but it has nothing to do with Zlex hallucinating everything, although that is a very intruiging theory.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Sean-GCA

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2003, 02:49:35 AM »
Dennis has allways impressed me. I have yet to meet him in person (E3 this year for a interview sound good lol) But we have talked via email. I love the fact he comes to a great site like PGC and talks to the gamers. Over at the site I work at ED tied Metroid for game of they year.... I think SK is one of the smartest developers... maybe tats why ED didnt sell a million copies.... cause most gamers now like GTA games(dont get me wroung I feel they are good games) and BMX XXX over a game that requires you to think, and will make you wet yourself...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2003, 02:54:11 AM »
Sean, I agree.

Over here in the Middle of Nowhere, nobody's even heard of Eternal Darkness. I tell them it's an amazing, beautiful, mature game...

Their response: "Is it more mature than GTA3? I don't think so."

Then they leave with a smug expression on their faces while I try to think of something to counter stupidity that abysmal.

I'd agree with your site's consensus too... I think ED and Metroid Prime are the two best games on the Gamecube so far.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2003, 04:42:05 AM »
Yeah ED and Metroid are the greatest game on the cube so far.
Whats also great is that even though ED sold dissapointing, it leaves behind a great impressiona and desire which is seen in threads like this. Thats what makes games great, talking about way after its peak.

I do have to say though, all the brilliance that bears within ED can be executed even better, and Im sure it will in the next ED.

But now I really really want Too Human, imagine all the hidden connections, brainers, riddles, jokes, pranks etc youll find in that game.
And its friggin 80+hours long.
LZ 2005

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2003, 07:05:21 AM »
About Mantorok making the Tomb of Eternal Darkness, I'm almost 100% sure of it for two reasons that may be spoilers to the game.

1) The Mantorok Rune is embossed into the lock of the Tomb you see it every time the Tomb opens.

2) Spoiler:::::

In the final ending it goes on to talk about how Mantorok manipulated the Rovias family to destroy the three other Gods. And the way he did that through out the game was using the Tomb.

End Spoiler:::::

It would also seem the God in control of the yellow magick wanted the events to turn out the way they did since it was his magick that started the chain of events that lead to the destruction of the three gods and the weakening of Mantorok. It would be interesting to see whether this God is higher up or lower than the other Gods delt with in the first.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2003, 07:29:58 AM »
Interesting stuff, im going to boot up my copy of ED again now, going back to the yellow god/magik. If  i remember correctly, the painting with the Magik triangle, wich tells you wich magik beats wich like Rock Paper Scissors, wasnt there a yellow magick symbol in the midle?  

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2003, 09:33:43 AM »
I think there was another symbol also. But the middle was Mantorok, I think the extra symbol was on top or bottom.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2003, 10:15:55 AM »
Hmm...my brother started his own game today, and I looked out for the yellow magic. So far- when Pious, and Karim get transported to the temple; the rune-blocked doorways; Anthony's curse, and the glow around Mantorok's essence when that weird guy gives it to Ellia is temporarily yellow when he pulls it out.

Kudos to berny for the Roivas-Savior find!
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2003, 10:55:46 AM »
Small point: it's "tome" not "tomb." A tomb is a place you bury people, a tome is a big book.

BG

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2003, 04:53:05 PM »
light magic in zelda is yellow
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2003, 06:06:57 PM »
I am quite sure the tome was created by Mantorok. but, that leaves a problem. How did he make it????? i mean he doesnt exactly have any hands Perhaps he had a servant (slave) like Pious was to the lesser ancients, so who is he/she/it? perhaps they appeared in the first briefly, as it seems Silicon Knights were happy to drop many vague hints for a sequel.

Another question, did Mantorok die? maybe it tells you in the third ending everyone talks about. ( I would know, but some thieving Maroi has my Gamecube .

BTW Denis, I'll have to admit i hated the first couple of hours of ED. Perhaps (and this is from a stupid and immature teenager who knows nothing about making great games and how to display them) you can explain the story in the sequel/Too human a bit quicker? i mean i played the first couple of hours with all my playstation biased friends and all they did was laugh at the (their opinion not mine) average graphics the supposed to be scary bits ( it was daytime sigh...) and the weird story line that made no sense. Of course i found it was genius and all but unfortunatly as everyone knows this industry is changing and probably why it didn't sell very well was because people rented it, played the first couple chapters, threw the game down in frustration and confusion and played Tony Hawk or Grand Theft Auto instead and never touched it again.

Before I get you and the other members a little irratted at my somewhat negative post i was wondering if you (Denis) were looking for any 3d artists, because im currently teaching myself Maya and i would really like to know the qualifications for applying for a job at SK. Anyway you probably wont even look at this thread again so perhaps i'll just send SK an e-mail and hope for a reply.

HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Foolish boy, Do you even know who i am?

I am Gannondork, and one day I will rule the world!

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2003, 06:25:03 PM »

Originally posted by: The_Gannondork
I am quite sure the tome was created by Mantorok. but, that leaves a problem. How did he make it????? i mean he doesnt exactly have any hands Perhaps he had a servant (slave) like Pious was to the lesser ancients, so who is he/she/it? perhaps they appeared in the first briefly, as it seems Silicon Knights were happy to drop many vague hints for a sequel.

Somthing else that is interesting: Pious referred to the tome as his. Why would Pious put the Mantorok rune on a tome if he serves an ancient that hates Mantorok? And if Pious didn't make the book, is Mantorok the one who put his story in there? Why would Pious recognize the book, then?

BG

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2003, 06:56:37 PM »
He did? what chapter was that? Actually now that i think of it i sort of remember something like that, however i passed it by as him tricking the character (forgot who it was) into giving it to him/her. However i might be completely wrong. It wouldn't make any sense at all that his undoing was by the book he created.

But if it was, who gave the book into the right hands? Mantorok? probably, if i remember correctly The girl in the second chapter (sorry forgotten again, i'll have to go and get it back off my friend)
was, a worshipper of Mantorok???? all the gaurds their seemed to be on her side. But the zombies obviously werent.... If i understood the game correctly, Mantorok was good (for an ancient) as he was already summoned on earth,  who summoned? wait, now im getting confused. didnt he banish the other ancients? anyway, he was on earth yet he didnt destroy it and eat everyone (like the others would). He just needed some attention and worshipping and the occasional human snack and he wouldn't go on a rampage.

Is this right guys? I'm a tad lost, i havent played it in like 4 months. But if he was summoned, who did? ugh...I think i just need to wait for the sequel and most of my questions will be answered.

Edit: I should of known...look on the box art, what does it show? a stone circle WITH 5 obelisks. Now that i remember i first found that odd, thinking each one represented a certain ancient, (the taller being Mantorok...or possibly....) however i disregarded the possibility their was another ancient as they all seemed so snugly and complete with red beats green, green beats blue, blue beats red, purple beats all....or in easier terms the pokemon way: fire beats grass, grass beats water, water beats fire, psychic(spl?) beats all their asses.
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2003, 06:29:02 AM »
In ED terms it's something like:

blue = soul/spirit
green = mind
red = body
purple = chaos/entropy

green beats blue because the mind is the link between reality and the spirit, sever the link and the spirit is powerless.
red beats green because the body is part of reality, and reality cannot be severed from itself
blue beats red because the spirit is ultimately in control of reality (as long as it is connected)

Chaos and decay defeat them all because everything dies.

BG

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2003, 11:19:53 AM »
Mantorok Represented death and decay? Did the game actually say that or is that just from all the evidence put together by you? Who knows. I guess Mantorok could really count as chaos and death,  though i always thought he was more along the lines of strength, magick, and mind all put into one. Who knows, he was the big daddy of the lot. Nuff said.
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2003, 11:29:23 AM »
I said chaos and decay. Here's the evidence:

• Mantorok had no definite form (chaos)
  • His heart gave off corrosive energy (decay)
  • His aligned enchant weapon cursed the enemy to slowly take damage for a long time (decay)
  • The fact that he was a "fertility god" to the people meant that he could also stave what he controlled off.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, it's been six months since I've played. I have to wonder, though, what do Mantorok's guardians look like?

BG

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2003, 12:02:05 PM »
Wow i think your right. Though, all the ancients aritfacts gave off corrosive energy. Mantoroks Gaurdians? Why, it was those big Grim Reapers right? I mean, they were only in his tomb, and the fact that he was binded meant that pious had a limited control over them. They were my most hated enemy. I could never kill them and you loss sanity every couple seconds. I found it pretty weird how you would run away from them on low health and sanity, and just before you escaped, you fell down dead. D: It was alot easier killing the other gaurdians, for Edward all i did was enchant my elephant gun to max, and use it's greatest enemies alignment. Bang....Bang....dead.  
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2003, 01:57:33 PM »
Mantorok was described as the corpse god wasn't he?  It's been a while since I have been able to play the game.  But yeah, I would agree that he is the god of death.

But mentioning the elephant gun...  I always found it to be ironic and cool to be able to use an enchanted assault rifle in the game.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2003, 02:03:56 PM »
Not to menition when you use the reveal spell with Mantorok's rune it makes you invisible.

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2003, 03:01:34 PM »
Nope, those things were not guardians. Those were gatekeepers. For starters, Mantorok killed the gatekeepers that were about to attack Lindsay. The quickest way to kill them is to get behind them (they can be hit from behind any time). The easiest way to do that is to cast a Mantorok aligned reveal invisible (makes the character invis).

BG

Edit: fixed sentence.

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2003, 03:04:34 PM »

Mantorok was described as the corpse god wasn't he?

Yeah, I thought of that. I wasn't sure, though, because Pius (the Latin spelling) may have been referring to the fact that Mantorok was in a state of living death (i.e. now that he's been bound, he's effectively a corpse).

BlackGriffen