Author Topic: A Hidden Gem and a Nostalgic Platformer  (Read 5905 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
A Hidden Gem and a Nostalgic Platformer
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »

Neal gets his hands on the last two Game Boy games of Nintendo's 8-bit Summer.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/recommendations/31276

This week, Neal covers two classic Game Boy titles—a relatively unknown gem and a long-awaited platformer staring Mario’s greedy doppelganger.

First up is Mole Mania, an action puzzle game starring Muddy Mole, who is perhaps Miyamoto’s least known protagonist. And to finish it off, Neal lets us know whether or not Wario’s first starring role was worth the wait, or if its hype is simply the product of nostalgia.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: A Hidden Gem and a Nostalgic Platformer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
Agree 100% on Mole Mania.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »
Nice choice, Neal—Wario Land was the first video game I ever owned. The numerous endings and creative gameplay give it ridiculous replay value.

Offline night814

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:59:55 AM »
Mole Mania is amazing! If you like things like DK '94 you should definitly grab it.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
I'll have to check out Mole Mania.  Thanks for the heads up Neal!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »

Totally agree with Neal's recommendations for these games.

Mole Mania is a game I played a year or two ago, and it really was charming with some great puzzles. Seeing it get a small revival on 3DS Virtual Console it great - hopefully people will give it a shot!

Wario Land is a tougher call. I have very fond memories of playing this game, and uncovering the myriad of secrets each level as I worked to build the highest possible coin total I could, but the slow pace and relatively uninspired level design doesn't hold up well years later. Worth it for nostalgia alone in my case... but hard to recommend to anyone who hasn't played the game in their past.

Somehow I bet that Wario Land will sell better than Mole Mania anyway. Name recognition and nostalgia go a long way with Virtual Console sales.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
Wario Land is a tougher call. I have very fond memories of playing this game, and uncovering the myriad of secrets each level as I worked to build the highest possible coin total I could, but the slow pace and relatively uninspired level design doesn't hold up well years later. Worth it for nostalgia alone in my case... but hard to recommend to anyone who hasn't played the game in their past.

Well, the only Wario Land game I had ever played before picking the VC release was Shake It and I personally fell in love with the game boy game.  I thought the platforming was a lot of fun and searching for all of the treasures after my first time beating the game was challenging in the best way.  Maybe I'm just an outlier, but I've beaten the game three times since it release a few weeks ago and it's quickly become one of my favorite platformers on the 3DS.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

Well, the only Wario Land game I had ever played before picking the VC release was Shake It and I personally fell in love with the game boy game.  I thought the platforming was a lot of fun and searching for all of the treasures after my first time beating the game was challenging in the best way.  Maybe I'm just an outlier, but I've beaten the game three times since it release a few weeks ago and it's quickly become one of my favorite platformers on the 3DS.

Glad (if a bit surprised) to hear it!  I don't want to oversell the game due to personal nostalgia, and really didn't think people would be so excited about this game.  Would love to be wrong about that.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
I've got mixed results when talking to people about Wario Land. Some people agree with my somewhat-negative take on it. Other people think I'm crazy. Either way, I think "Recommended for Fans" is fair.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
Totally agree with Neal's views here.

Mole Mania is fantastic. Do not miss it.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »

Glad (if a bit surprised) to hear it!  I don't want to oversell the game due to personal nostalgia, and really didn't think people would be so excited about this game.  Would love to be wrong about that.

I think I'm a special case because platforming games are my favorite genre and the kind of game at which I'm most skilled (2D or 3D).  I'm ravenous about playing ones I missed as a youngster.  Handheld gaming was never a huge part of my childhood so it's been amazing getting to play game boy games like the Super Mario Lands, Adventure Island, Donkey Kong '94, and Kirby's Dream Land.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
Mole Mania is indeed good, but I got the original cart so I can bask in the Super Game Boy features.

I still like Wario Land, but I don't disagree with the recommendation. The later games in the series have clearly surpassed it, and so I think only people with an explicit interest in Wario's roots (or old games in general) would like the game today.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »
Mole Mania is indeed good, but I got the original cart so I can bask in the Super Game Boy features.

I still like Wario Land, but I don't disagree with the recommendation. The later games in the series have clearly surpassed it, and so I think only people with an explicit interest in Wario's roots (or old games in general) would like the game today.

Oooh!  What Super Game Boy features did Mole Mania have?  I own the original cartridge too... sadly, the bonus features don't show up on my GameCube Game Boy Player.

As for your Wario Land comment, the retroactive discussion for Wario Land 4 has seen some fairly negative opinions so far. It makes me wonder if those people would prefer the game design of the original as it tends to stick a lot closer to traditional platforming roots...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
Oooh!  What Super Game Boy features did Mole Mania have?
Just the typical Super Game Boy treatment. A special border, a different 4-colour scheme for each area to match the setting, and special 6-10 colour schemes for the title screen, cutscenes, and subscreens. I don't think there is any sound enhancement, but I haven't played it on a regular Game Boy so I don't know for sure.