Author Topic: Kirby's Epic Yarn  (Read 49482 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby's Epic Yarn
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2010, 06:48:27 PM »
The fun part with the bosses is getting the Platinum medals. Some of those are tricky, and they basically require you to beat the boss without getting hit.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2010, 01:20:14 AM »
I've been catching up on my backlog of games this weekend, and after completing DKCR I went back to this.  I'm in the 4th world now, and I've beaten all the bosses so far while getting their patches to unlock the remaining levels in their respective worlds.  I'm nowhere near done with the game, but honestly I'm finding myself slightly uninterested as I play the game.  I don't mind the lack of a death state, but there's just something about the game that doesn't grab me and I'm not sure what.  When I was playing DKCR, I found myself thinking about the game even when I wasn't playing it and found myself constantly compelled to go back to it.  This game I have to force myself to keep coming back to play.  Maybe it's that even getting a gold medal on each stage is pretty easy, and the hidden items aren't especially well-hidden.  That said, the game is certainly charming enough and does have some inventive ideas in play.  I just wish the core experience were more interesting.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2010, 07:39:27 AM »
Hmmm. I guess this means I should buy and play KEY before I get DKCR.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
When I was playing DKCR, I found myself thinking about the game even when I wasn't playing it and found myself constantly compelled to go back to it.  This game I have to force myself to keep coming back to play.

It's exactly the opposite for me. Kept thinking about playing more, and more Kirby, but Donkey Kong is not as enticing for me even if I still think it's a great game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2010, 01:39:16 AM »
I've completed all the stages in Kirby with Gold medals on all but a couple stages (and those are Silver), and with a 92% completion I think I'm done with this game.  Overall, I think it was an ok game, though nowhere near worthy of all the hype and high reviews it got.  There's a lot of creativity in play and the art design is attractive, but the game never really challenged me.  I'm not just talking about the lack of a death mechanic.  That I don't particularly have a problem with.  My big issue is that the game never really challenged me on an exploratory or mental level, nor did it really ever encourage me to become a better player.  Also, the only things worth unlocking in the game are the 2 additional stages per world, and those are mainly unlocked via sending projectiles back at bosses until they run out of beads.  The rest of the unlockables aren't worth the effort, even for someone with as OCD as me.  Decent and probably one of the better Kirby games IMO, but it never really blew me away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2010, 01:09:08 AM »
Okay, finally broke down and started playing this tonight.  Is it wrong that, after getting Wii Party, Epic Yarn, DKCR and all kinds of other games that I spent all my free time playing All-Stars?

Anyway - this game is just horrible.  I'm going to have nightmares.  Seriously, the poor little critters that Kirby just brutally massacres for no reason other than they're in his way?  He needs a few beads - oh, here's two sweet little creatures nussling up under a tree - let's kill 'em and take their heart-shaped beads!  Such a horrible game.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »
Ha ha, I know! My sister and I talked about that, this is easily the most brutal Kirby game out there; he's basically ripping his enemies to shreds (or threads, as the case may be). It certainly seems a lot more aggressive than your average platform game. We usually just pass by enemies unless they actually do block the path, and the golds are easy enough to achieve without the tiny beads that enemies drop.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
I beat Epic Yarn last week with 100%.  I enjoyed parts of it, but other parts really seemed like a chore.  Maybe it's the way I was playing it.  After everything I heard about how the fabric look is so much more than just a graphical style, I feel a bit disappointed because I feel that's exactly all it is.  There were a few really clever parts--especially early on--that had you unzip zippers and pull strings to change the layout of the level, but they weren't nearly as prevalent as I thought they'd be.  I still think Wario Land Shake It is better.

Can anyone tell me what the colored circle that surrounds your bead streak means?  I know it fills as you collect more beads and when it goes all the way around it changes color and starts over again, but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can discern.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »
Been so hooked on Donkey Kong and Goldeneye I a have not even opened my Kirby yet. As soon as the Goldeneye meet up is done with i'll start the epic game. I just have a feeling after Donkey Kong I just wont feel ultra satisfied with it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the colored circle that surrounds your bead streak means?  I know it fills as you collect more beads and when it goes all the way around it changes color and starts over again, but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can discern.

I think I saw once that I filled the meter full, and I got one of those star beads so I think it's some kind of point multiplyer because the meter goes down again if you get hit.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
Been so hooked on Donkey Kong and Goldeneye I a have not even opened my Kirby yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
This game so far seems so easy, but it's fun to play in multiplayer. I've been have more fun playing KEY with a 4 yr old teammate than I have playing DKCR at all.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:31:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »

I think I saw once that I filled the meter full, and I got one of those star beads so I think it's some kind of point multiplyer because the meter goes down again if you get hit.

Yup, it's the bead chain meter. At the end of the level, your highest bead chain is added to the level's final score.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
Yup, it's the bead chain meter. At the end of the level, your highest bead chain is added to the level's final score.

That's what the number inside the meter signifies.  I'm wondering if there's any significance with the color changes as the meter fills up.  The meter changes from light pink to dark pink when you get a certain number of beads, but does that color change affect anything in-game such as bead bonuses, etc.?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »

That's what the number inside the meter signifies.  I'm wondering if there's any significance with the color changes as the meter fills up.  The meter changes from light pink to dark pink when you get a certain number of beads, but does that color change affect anything in-game such as bead bonuses, etc.?

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Hmm, for now I think it's just a visual indicator of your awesome bead streak. I'll do some testing right now to see if it indicates anything else. It really sucks to be hit in the tank part of 1-1 and lose a bead streak at 335. Those enemy missiles have a big area of effect upon detonation.

EDIT: The color changes and the meter is filled every fifty (50) beads collected from the looks of it. Still not sure if the color means anything other than that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:30:27 PM by Enner »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »
Man, the preorder box contains an awesome knit Kirby, I'm considering getting that box without buying the game afterwards because I don't feel all that interested in the actual game anymore.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2011, 06:07:40 AM »
Picked this up today, only played a few levels so far. Love the look, and the music is excellent! Proberly going to play through it in co-op with my gf.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
I just beat this game the other day. It's not terribly challenging to complete, but I still have to go back and get platinums on almost every level if I plan on 100%ing it(which I don't plan on, but I do plan on getting further than my current 74%).

It's a fun & charming game, and great for messing around in multi-player. I would recommend this game to anyone looking for some non-serious fun and light-hearted gameplay that can be  enjoyed with anyone that is capable of picking up the controller and playing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:50:32 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »
I don't think getting platinums contribute to the percentage completion. I got 100% in the game and I have yet to get a single platinum medal.

As for getting 100%, it is a chore to do all those mini game levels. There are some neat challenges in them, but nothing that takes any more than a few tries. It is nice to have all that fabric, though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
There are no platinum medals, the closest thing would be the extra stage patches you can earn from getting a lot of beads on bosses.

Also of note, looks like the European version has a whole different voiceover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKjXutsP4s

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:47 AM »
Oh. No platinums? Darn. It would've been fun to have another level of medals in the stages.

The European voice over is quite neat. The actor sounds less enthusiastic than the US one in that particular clip.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
I kinda like the European voice.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.