Author Topic: Dealing with a scratched touch screen?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Dealing with a scratched touch screen?
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
My mother (who got my ooooooooold original DS to play Layton and Ace Attorney on) is reporting that her DS's touch screen is getting so badly scratched that it affects the touch accuracy. Is there any somewhat easy way of fixing it enough to make the taps accurate again?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Dealing with a scratched touch screen?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
Has she tried cleaning the screen? If the screen itself is actually scratched, then my only advice is to contact Nintendo. Maybe they would be willing to fix it (though they might charge).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »
You just need to replace the digitizer, which you can get for about $4 shipped on eBay. You'll need a small Philips screw driver and a tri-wing screwdriver, so you're probably gonna spend anther $5-6 on that. I repair DS systems all the time, if this seems like something you're uncomfortable with, you can send it to me and I'll be happy to do it for you. I'll only charge a small fee on top of the digitizer cost (sometimes it's easier/more beneficial to do the LCD too, which again, is dirt cheap). I already have all of the tools. USPS shipping would be around $4 each way (maybe less). Let me know if it's something you're interested in, I've literally probably done this about 30 times.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
That's a really good price. I'm gonna have to see what other deals they have. I'm currently sitting on 1 broken DSi, 2 broken DS Lites, 3 broken Wiis, a broken PSP Go, and a lot more waiting for me at the shop...replaced the DVD-ROM on 5 different Xbox 360s this morning.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
I'm currently sitting on 1 broken DSi, 2 broken DS Lites, 3 broken Wiis, a broken PSP Go, and a lot more waiting for me at the shop...replaced the DVD-ROM on 5 different Xbox 360s this morning.
Jeez! What on earth are you doing to them?!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:56:29 PM »
I'm not literally sitting on them, I work for a local console repair shop. I do all of the handhelds and the Xbox 360 drive replacements.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:31:12 AM »
It's not too hard to replace the screens. You definitely have to be sure of yourself though. :P

I'd highly recommend getting a good screen protector after you get it in an enjoyable state (whether through replacement or just cleaning).
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality