Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663648 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2475 on: November 06, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
After looking up a 512 GB Micro SD, I no longer have concerns about storage space.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: November 06, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
After looking up a 512 GB Micro SD, I no longer have concerns about storage space.

Just price...
but that will come down over time. 512 on a micro is quite expensive right now.
even a 256GB is quite expensive right now.

But, if Nintendo gives us the dual Micros SD card slots, 2x128GB MicroSD's cost about the price of a game or 2.

a good brand name 128GB card cost between $30-$50
a good brand name 200GB-256GB card cost between $85-$150
a good brand name 512GB card cost around $200-$330

I rather buy 2x 128GB cards as needed, than spring for a single 200+GB card for now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: November 06, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »

Just price...
but that will come down over time. 512 on a micro is quite expensive right now.
even a 256GB is quite expensive right now.

But, if Nintendo gives us the dual Micros SD card slots, 2x128GB MicroSD's cost about the price of a game or 2.

a good brand name 128GB card cost between $30-$50
a good brand name 200GB-256GB card cost between $85-$150
a good brand name 512GB card cost around $200-$330

I rather buy 2x 128GB cards as needed, than spring for a single 200+GB card for now.
60 dollars is not expensive. Think of it this way- instead of Nintendo offering a system lacking in 60 dollar games, they are lacking in 60 dollar memory options.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:29:28 PM by Evan_B »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: November 06, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »
I didn't say $60 is expensive.
I said a 512GB micro SD card for $200+ is expensive
and so is a 200GB + card for about $100 or so.

on the other hand, two 128GB micro SD cards for the price of a $60-$70 game isn't that expensive.
So I hope Nintendo gives us the dual SD card slot option for memory expansion purposes.

... unless I'm misunderstanding what your lack of concern over storage space was after seeing a 512GB micro SD card.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: November 06, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
I didn't say $60 is expensive.
I said a 512GB micro SD card for $200+ is expensive
and so is a 200GB + card for about $100 or so.

on the other hand, two 128GB micro SD cards for the price of a $60-$70 game isn't that expensive.
So I hope Nintendo gives us the dual SD card slot option for memory expansion purposes.

... unless I'm misunderstanding what your lack of concern over storage space was after seeing a 512GB micro SD card.
I mean, 512 gb is a ridiculous amount of space, unless you're considering buying completely digital, so I don't really see the issue. Sure, memory is going to drop in price over time, but considering the sparse library of Nintendo consoles in general, their compact filesize on their digital releases, and the high likelihood that the Switch won't get third parties, I don't really see the issue.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: November 09, 2016, 02:08:05 PM »
Not something we haven't heard before, but Laura Kate Dale is throwing some more weight behind the rumour of a Smash 4 port for Switch:

According to a pair of sources who we have used in the past when reporting on Switch news, we have learned that the Bayonetta and Cloud Amiibo, both previously slated for 2016 release, are now being held back to launch alongside an upcoming Switch port of Smash Bros.

According to our information, the port will not be a launch day release for the Switch, but is targetting a release in the first six months after the Switch hits shelves. We have not heard any confirmation that the port will contain any new content, but we have been told it will contain all DLC from the Wii U version of the game.

We have not heard anything regarding Gamecube Controller support for the port.

While we are aware multiple sites and outlets have claimed a slew of enhanced ports are coming to the Switch on launch day, including some sites falsely attributing us as their source, we would like to make it clear that this report is the sum total of what we are currently announcing. Our reporting on a Smash port should not be taken as confirmation of any other recent reports with our name incorrectly attached being accurate.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-remaining-smash-amiibo-delayed-until-2017-smash-bros-switch-port-arrives/

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: November 09, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
Pete Hines of Bethesda: Supporting Nintendo Consoles A "Hardware Issue"

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/07/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-were-only-going-to-make-games-that-we-think-raise-to-a-certain-level-of-quality-6113553/

GC: Third party support is a constant problem for them, but I think it’s questionable whether people would even buy things like Battlefield or GTA if they were on a Nintendo console. Is the reason you haven’t supported them much in the past partly because you don’t think your games would sell to that audience?

PH: No, no. it’s usually been one of a technical… hardware issue. It’s just, what it is that the devs are making and what are the hardware requirements that they’re looking at, to support what they’re making? And what fits? And anything that is below the line is, ‘Well, we can make it work, but we’d have to cut this or that or do it like…’ But no, that’s not the point. The point is to take the game, as you designed it, and to get it working on those platforms. Not make a bunch of cuts and a bunch of changes and bring out some other version of it.

GC: So if NX is announced in the next few weeks and is as powerful as an Xbox One or higher, then…

PH: Then it will absolutely be something that we consider. Okay… let’s say they come out and say tomorrow it does X, Y, and Z. Well, Dishonored 2 is way down the road, it’s not in the conversation. But anything that is in development, I think we’d take a look at and see if technically does it line up with what they’re doing?

And then to your point, of course we always want to look at what we’re doing from an audience standpoint. But I think that we have any number of things that might appeal to the Nintendo audience. Maybe it’s not as appealing as Super Smash Bros., or it doesn’t appeal to that exact same audience, but that doesn’t mean that there’s not still an audience there.

Considering that Bethesda is one of the companies supporting the Switch out of the gate and was even featured during the announcement trailer, we can assume it meets their graphical threshold.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 10:03:58 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: November 09, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
Kind of nice to see a dev confirming the rather logical point that third parties won't support them because of inadequate hardware and not some ridiculous conspiracy theory that third parties just don't like Nintendo or feel threatened by their first party games or whatever.  Basically Bethseda would have supported the Wii and Wii U if they didn't have outdated hardware that could support Bethseda's games without major compromises.

And at the same time the fact that they ARE supporting the Switch is very encouraging as Stogi pointed out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: November 09, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
Pete Hines of Bethesda pretty much confirms Switch is at least as powerful as XB1

I mean. No. That's not at all what he said. There's a lot of connecting of dots but Bethesda is still being as non-committal as ever.

EDIT: Also, I'd hold off on making graphical comparisons with current gen consoles. 1) Bethesda chose to highlight a remaster of a PS360 game for the Switch video and 2) that footage is more than likely not from any Nintendo hardware build.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:56:21 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: November 09, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
The only dots I'm connecting is whether Bethesda would support a system if it didn't meet their technical standards and their support for the Switch.

But you're right. The best we can take from this is that they are supporting the Switch and thus are at the very least "okay" with the technology.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 10:02:52 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: November 11, 2016, 02:28:31 AM »
rumor has it Switch has a USB-C port, making it charge fast, and very future proof.

Also, as I have said before. I think it will be powerful enough. nVidia uses the words scaleable in its press release if that is any indicator. When we look at the Gamecube vs the Xbox, Nintendo did some things that made the system run really efficiently even with less ram and a slower processor.

On the question of RAM. Emily Rogers had the rumors that it would only have 4GB of ram. There were however rumors that Nintendo delayed the console to have a more powerful console. It also could be that certain developers were given dev kits on weaker hardware, which is a common practice. Switch is mostly a successor to Shield so, it wouldn't be surprising if they used Shields to test software in the meantime.

I really think there is going to be different versions of the tablet. Each with different levels of Tegra Processors and different amounts of ram. Nintendo is in the console/tablet/and handheld sector. Nintendo may have plans to future proof itself. Tablet tech is going to keep shrinking and getting more powerful. Nintendo is likely putting themselves right in the middle of this. I imagine Nintendo could release 3 models at different price points and as years pass people buy upgrades. Buying upgrades is great because that means you can pass them around the family or just have a spare to let your friend play on when they visit.

It is conceivable that Skyrim is a special case. There is an xbox360 version and this new hd version. It could be that docked it's the full hd version and on the go its a slightly different version. A big reasony why you would have to download a huge download for the xbox360 version was because the game is on a DVD which is only 8.5GB. Early versions of the game needed updates and had scaling slowdown because of the hardrive. Cartridges do not have this problem. Wii U would never get this game because of storage and power limitations, but NS could easily get some version of the game. The Switch has more power and ram than wii u.

As a Nintendo fan and a Zelda fan. Skyrim is actually really appealing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:58:09 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
I think Emily's rumors about RAM were about the fear that the retail unit might only have 2GB of ram, and she confirmed that she could claim that the retail units themselves had 4GB ram. For the RAM to jump above that would be far exceeding the initial low expectation fears.

I too think we could start seeing "revisions" of the Switch on a more frequent, 1/2 year basis, both up and down market. I imagine. Switch Slim that'll be the same thing but Portable only in a year or two, potentially both more portable and smaller. At the same time, a Switch Pro could come out with beefier specs but maintaining the same idea and form factor. If you had a launch switch you could give Nintendo more money, or hold on to the Launch Switch until it became no longer supported maybe in 6 years because the lure of the Switch ProPro's tech would be too powerful for devs to resist, forcing you to incrementally upgrade.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: November 11, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
I think consoles for the most part are extinct.

I welcome the new evolutions. The directions we may go.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: November 11, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
I can buy their plan to incrementally upgrade. They have already been doing that with the 3/DS line.

DS Phat, DS Lite, DS XL, DSi + DSi XL, -> 3DS, NEW 3DS
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: November 11, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
this fits in with the current discussion, so I'll just drop this in here as well

Looks like Nvidia plans for a long healthy relationship with Nintendo
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4022322-nvidia-nvda-q3-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

I guess you could also say that Nintendo contributed a fair amount to that growth. And over the next – as you know, the Nintendo architecture and the company tends to stick with an architecture for a very long time. And so we've worked with them now for almost two years. Several hundred engineering years have gone into the development of this incredible game console. I really believe when everybody sees it and enjoy it, they're going be amazed by it. It's really like nothing they've ever played with before. And of course, the brand, their franchise and their game content is incredible. And so I think this is a relationship that will likely last two decades and I'm super excited about it.

2 decades... that's 3-4 gens of Nvidia<3Nintendo, or Eninen, (aka N&N)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »
I've listened to speeches from Jen-Hsun Huang and he's all about disruptive technology, and so is Nintendo.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 13, 2016, 11:01:17 AM »
Best Buy is advertising a 256 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive at $37.99 for Black Friday. If non-HDD memory continues to fall in price and rise in capacity, I don't know whether HDD storage will be a first-choice solution for expanded game console memory for much longer.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 13, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
Cartridges FTW!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 13, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »
this fits in with the current discussion, so I'll just drop this in here as well

Looks like Nvidia plans for a long healthy relationship with Nintendo
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4022322-nvidia-nvda-q3-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

I guess you could also say that Nintendo contributed a fair amount to that growth. And over the next – as you know, the Nintendo architecture and the company tends to stick with an architecture for a very long time. And so we've worked with them now for almost two years. Several hundred engineering years have gone into the development of this incredible game console. I really believe when everybody sees it and enjoy it, they're going be amazed by it. It's really like nothing they've ever played with before. And of course, the brand, their franchise and their game content is incredible. And so I think this is a relationship that will likely last two decades and I'm super excited about it.

2 decades... that's 3-4 gens of Nvidia<3Nintendo, or Eninen, (aka N&N)
You're making Mystic Gohan cry.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2494 on: November 13, 2016, 06:35:10 PM »
Toys 'R Us Canada lists Switch for Canadian Wii U MSRP of $329.99.

Given the weakness of the Canadian dollar (#ThanksHarper) that works out to roughly $245 US.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 13, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »
That's a good find, but might be a provisional estimate.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 13, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »
I'm mentally and financially planning on $300. I think $250 is the magic number though. Switch will sell competitively at that price, but I'd be surprised to see Nintendo get it that low.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 13, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather it be $100 better, for $100 more.

I'm prepared for $349.99

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2498 on: November 13, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
Since we are talking portable console...I agree getting something more expensive but better technology is better. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2499 on: November 13, 2016, 09:54:46 PM »
Wouldn't most retailers shoot to over estimate on the price? So, could this actually be accurate?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.