Author Topic: Episode 514: G-Radio feat. Kayzee and Lil' Burk  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 514: G-Radio feat. Kayzee and Lil' Burk
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »

The Radio Free Nintendo crew wasn't at PAX East, but that's okay: they're not in this episode either.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44333/episode-514-g-radio-feat-kayzee-and-lil-burk

Due to a series of foreseeable but unfortunate events, Guillaume finds himself manning the fort this episode. Fret not: Talk Nintendo has sent for reinforcements in the form of Perry Burkum and Casey Gibson. We quickly move on from Guillaume's crusty old 3D Out Run "New Business" and talk about their PAX East experiences and the exciting upcoming Switch games they've seen there. Greg makes a late entrance in order to quickly touch on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and we close the segment with Perry's impressions of Blaster Master Zero, which he reviewed for Nintendo World Report.

Perry bows out for Listener Mail, but James decides to make an appearance, so we discuss learning all of Super Mario Bros. 3's secrets almost by osmosis; the expectation of backwards compatibility; Capcom's recently announced collection of NES Disney games and how it snubs the Switch; the weight of My Nintendo rewards when choosing to buy a physical or digital version of a game; and we recommend a few 500 Wii Points VC games. You can send us your suggestions for a theme, or questions and comments, to our mailbag.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 514: G-Radio feat. Kayzee and Lil' Burk
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »
I feel like I can definitively say that with the exception of Lindemann and maybe Carl, whenever the hosting buck for this show gets kicked down the road, it seems to enhance the talent of the new host by virtue of the pressure being on. Gui did an amazing job in the face of adversity, and I just wanna say...

Thank you for Radio Gui Nintendo this week.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
That was a great episode. Gui hosting was an interesting change and having the Talk Nintendo guys was nice too.

Backwards compatibility is an interesting topic. I think its nice when it is there, but it doesnt really bother me when it isnt.

Semi unrelated, but a few days ago I finished listening to every episode of the show. It took about a year and a half, which is when I first found the show. RFN is definitely my favourite podcast.
I have now moved on to Radio Trivia, which I hadnt listened to at all, besides the telethon segments.

Offline stalfo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
That was a great episode. Gui hosting was an interesting change and having the Talk Nintendo guys was nice too.

Backwards compatibility is an interesting topic. I think its nice when it is there, but it doesnt really bother me when it isnt.

Semi unrelated, but a few days ago I finished listening to every episode of the show. It took about a year and a half, which is when I first found the show. RFN is definitely my favourite podcast.
I have now moved on to Radio Trivia, which I hadnt listened to at all, besides the telethon segments.

I took that same adventure and I think I'm a similar fashion (RFN then Radio Trivia). You're in for a treat because radio trivia kicks ass!
@case_jets

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
I've wondered for a while if they could do an account-based discount for the 8 -> 8DX upgrade if you bought the DLC courses. Stating "yes, I own it" is part of the purchase process for Wii U DLC.

Of course, it's a moot point now.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
I feel like I can definitively say that with the exception of Lindemann and maybe Carl, whenever the hosting buck for this show gets kicked down the road, it seems to enhance the talent of the new host by virtue of the pressure being on. Gui did an amazing job in the face of adversity, and I just wanna say...

Thank you for Radio Gui Nintendo this week.

Blasphemy.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 02:12:35 AM »
I feel like I can definitively say that with the exception of Lindemann and maybe Carl, whenever the hosting buck for this show gets kicked down the road, it seems to enhance the talent of the new host by virtue of the pressure being on.
lolmonade, we are pilgrims in an unholy land. With the two recent episodes of NWR Chat, Jonny L has more than proven his hosting bonafides!

Congrats to Gui. He did a great job under seemingly hectic circumstances. Next time he hosts, change the name to Talking Nintendo with Gui. :)

Jon producing an audiobook guide: Maybe the next best thing would be to take a Twitch video of one of James's live streams and overlay a commentary track by Jon, critiquing his gameplay.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
Backwards compatibility is an interesting feature in that I actually feel that it adds more to a system on a retroactive basis than it does on when the system is first introduced to the market.

You can literally play almost every game ever released on a Nintendo handheld with just a GBA or GBA SP and a new 3DS XL that has been modded to play region free games.

The PS3 phat is an excellent system between it's ability to play three whole console generations worth of Playstation games (It's worth noting that PS1 games are running through software emulation but the PS3 stores save data on the hard drive so you don't have to worry about memory cards and I believe you can use it to play PS2 games on the Dualshock 4) along with it's extensive capabilities as a multimedia device (I've heard the PS3 has a really nice upscaler for DVDs so you could basically purchase one as a Blu-ray player and still have access to three generations worth of Playstation games.)

But the PS3 has a lot of issues that make it difficult to throw into just any entertainment system. This is what my TV setup/gaming rig looks like.

You would think I could throw the PS3 into the top shelf where the Blu-Ray player is (assuming it would fit there, the PS3 is a fairly large system) and never think about it again and considering the PS3 is such a behemoth of a device that is a very tempting option but that's not a very good idea. The PS3 phat has some issue with soldering that makes it prone to having issues with heat. Placing the PS3 in an enclosed space like that, especially one that small relative to the system itself, would only make things worse because that means any heat the system is able to generate would be trapped in the shelf with the system instead of being able to naturally move away from the system (and heat rises so the top shelf would be a really bad idea for the system.)

The PS3 phat would have to go on the top of the table so that the heat it generates can escape more freely but that presents it's own issues because the PS3 is large enough that I would have to basically hide it behind the TV. The only way I can see to get the PS3 phat in a position where I can access it's disc drive is to place it sideways in the same spot where the Wii U is. It would still be a bit awkward to put a disc in but I would be able to manage if I decided to pick one up.

But I feel like the biggest mark against the PS3 phat being used for PS2 games is that the PS2 slim exists. The PS2 slim can't play PS3 games but the PS2 slim is also the smallest home console ever released unless you count an undocked Nintendo Switch. It's so small that you probably didn't even notice that I have one sitting on the bottom shelf in that picture I posted or maybe you saw it and thought it was some sort of smudge on the glass.

You can get PS2 component cables for next to nothing and there's a really nice controller for the PS2 called the Logitech Cordless Action Controller that I highly recommend because it's just plain better than the Dualshock 2 in almost every way. The PS3 phat is a nice system but in my opinion the ease in which you can slip a PS2 slim into your gaming setup makes it easier to recommend.

I am still considering picking up a backwards compatible PS3 (Having three console generations worth of Playstation games combined with the PS3's multimedia capabilities is one hell of an offer) but I feel overall the PS2 slim is easier to recommend.