Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1194958 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3575 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:43 PM »
Last nights episode of It's Always Sunny.

If you were ever a fan of this show, last nite's episode was GOLD.
Mac & Dennis move to the suburbs. that's all I'm gonna say about it. now go watch it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: February 07, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
I've been catching up on The Grinder, which is in its first season on Fox right now. It's got a great cast, with Rob Lowe as a guy who just got done as the star of a long-running hit legal drama who moves back to his home town to work in a real law firm with his actual-lawyer brother, played by Fred Savage. I've been looking for new comedy to watch since Community and Parks & Rec ended, and while this isn't quite as good as either of those, I'm really enjoying it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 07, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
Saturday Night Live last night with Larry David (and the next President) - very good. Best episode in years. Every skit was funny.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 07, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
I've been catching up on The Grinder, which is in its first season on Fox right now. It's got a great cast, with Rob Lowe as a guy who just got done as the star of a long-running hit legal drama who moves back to his home town to work in a real law firm with his actual-lawyer brother, played by Fred Savage. I've been looking for new comedy to watch since Community and Parks & Rec ended, and while this isn't quite as good as either of those, I'm really enjoying it.

Would you recommend Community to someone who just got into Parks and Rec and is loving it? I'm about done with S3 and will be in the market for a new comedy once I'm done with that series.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: February 08, 2016, 12:19:44 AM »
Community is one of my favorite TV comedies ever, but it's fairly different from Parks & Rec. It's very conceptual, with a lot of episodes that basically parodies of different genres of movies or TV. It's also very self-referential, along the lines of something like Arrested Development, with a ton of in-jokes and details you need to be paying attention to pick out. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if that sounds at all appealing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #3580 on: February 08, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
I loved Community, it was one of my favorite comedies in recent years. I will say this, it's not for everyone. It is a geek's show if you aren't a geek you are likely to not like it. If you are then your chances of enjoying it increase a lot.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
Well, I am a geek so it is probably right up my alley. Though an overboard in the parody department could end up being a turn-off. It needs to be done right. I'll give it a shot after I finish P&R.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: February 15, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
So I finally finished S3 of Arrow. And I quite enjoyed it. I didn't feel the flaws others stated earlier hurt it as much as it had sounded like in the comments, and I did enjoy the ending. Not sure where the show will go from here but I don't intend to come back for a while. It was a nice stopping point until S4 or S5 hits Netflix. I did end up liking Thea -or at least deciding that I didn't hate her character- by the end of the season.

More interested in getting back into Agents of Shield, Daredevil S2, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow. I also need to hop back on the Gotham train at some point.

I guess I can let the Game of Thrones hype begin to build since that will be back in a month and a half.

Lastly, I've started a chronological run of Clone Wars because I have a bit of a Star Wars bug right now. Rebels looks like it is becoming quite promising in S2 from what I have seen so far so I'm going back through Clone Wars (along with the newly released unfinished episodes of S7) then diving into Rebels completely.

I just remembered that Walking Dead and it's spin-off exist. Are those worth watching or is the series pretty much done? I have not been into it this season and just can't motivate myself to carry on with it right now.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: February 15, 2016, 09:00:04 PM »
The Walking Dead - 10/10

The best episode of the entire series, and one of the best episodes of any TV show, ever. It's basically #83 and #84 from the comics, hence the name of the episode is the same as comic #84, No Way Out - which I never thought they'd do on TV...but they did, and it was amazing. Of course there are difference characters in the show, and different weapons like Daryl using Abraham's fucking RPG launcher to blow up the first batch of The Saviors! But god damn that was a great episode. It will be very tough to beat that one, but the rest of this season should be absolutely amazing. The part that they're in as it aligns with the comics is one of the best parts of the series.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:01:49 PM by Brandogg »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: February 15, 2016, 09:01:25 PM »
Funny you post that right after I asked about TWD's status. Guess we need to hop back on that wagon sooner than I expected.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »
Do it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: February 16, 2016, 02:15:44 AM »
It took me a couple moments to comprehend WTF happened at the start of that episode, but god damn, that was some good payoff.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: February 16, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
American Crime Story - The People VS O.J. Simpson

This show had me hooked after about 20 minutes of its first episode. 2 episode have aired already and the third airs tonight. So far, I highly recommend it. The O.J. Simpson trial is one that I was that I hardly knew any details about since I was just a kid at the time and didn't know who O.J. Simpson was. I just remember visiting my grandparents and my granddad was often watching the trial on TV and it might come up in conversation with him and my parents. I remember watching the news and seeing people's reactions to the verdict for some reason but didn't really understand what all the attention about it was aside from the fact that it was big news since people had been watching the trial. Growing up, I would slowly pick up details about the case but there were plenty of references and jokes in shows that flew over my head that I'd only realize and pick up on years later. As such, there's been plenty of things that I know about the trial but don't really know the relevance for them or how they fit into the case. So, to see the whole thing presented now in chronological, albeit a bit more dramatic, order is exciting for me.

Even if you know the story, I think you'll find this a treat to watch. I can see why this case got the attention it did and still does. Plus, the whole cast is strong. Some people have criticized Travolta's acting but I have no problem with it. I actually think it's some of the best work he's done in years. Everyone is putting in some great acting and I just can't wait to see what happens with the trial begins. Over 20 years later and the O.J. Trial still fascinates. I think a big part of that is because O.J. himself displays behavior that you'd expect both from someone innocent and guilty keeping you guessing. I'm curious to see what the arguments are from the prosecution and defense. This is top notch TV and I highly recommend it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: February 16, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
And Conan gifs are lame.

It's just that easy.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: February 16, 2016, 06:44:45 PM »
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Yeah, I'm going to keep promoting this show. Over the winter break, it's star Rachel Bloom already won some awards from it and it has come back with another three episodes as A-, B- and A+. That latest A+ has me fired up again to keep talking about this show and excited to watch it. There's nothing else like it on TV and, unlike many shows that go through some growing pains in their first season, it's started out great and has stayed consistently great. Here's a song about how great good it is.

There's also an explicit version of the song available on YouTube if that is what it will take to make you watch something from this show. Just wanted to remind you all it still exists and is still awesome.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: February 16, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »
Better Call Saul

I can't believe it's already been about a year. It seemed like it was taking forever to get to season 2 and suddenly here we are. While I'd say the standout moments were with the Mike, Pryce, Nacho storyline, it was still nice to be back in Jimmy/Saul's world and catching up with everyone again. Wondering where things are going to go now is just as much of the fun as watching Jimmy do his thing. After the tight writing job of Breaking Bad's later seasons and the first Season of BCS, I can't wait to see what the creative teams have constructed this year.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3591 on: February 16, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
I don't believe Walt's dead.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4nKFKKcGQ
Made you look ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: February 19, 2016, 12:31:45 AM »
The Following This is Bingeworthy /10

I watched one episode and then I was hooked.

I haven't seen season 3 yet, but season 1 and 2 are pretty enjoyable.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: February 20, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
Legends of Tomorrow - Building a show around time travel is a risky idea because you have to explain all of these elements together properly and coherently. Doctor Who, especially since its reboot, has tackled this best around "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" and River Song.

But Legends makes this more difficult by adding immortality on top - Alias tackled this concept, also with Victor Garber, eleven years ago by simply incapacitating Sloane by blowing up an underground cavern on top of him and leaving him there. So why none of the characters in Legends can't do something similar is baffling.

« Reply #3594 on: February 21, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »
I just started Last Man on Earth. I really enjoyed the first season I watched it all in one sitting, but I am not enjoying season 2 nearly as much. It still has it's moments but I can't quite figure out what changed from the first to now. Anyways it isn't the funniest show I have come across in years but it's a nice place holder until some of my favorite shows come back. 3/5 so far.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3595 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:34 PM »
Plugabugz:  I am watching Legends of Tomorrow, and after a few rough episodes where they have to get this motley crew to like each other.  The show is getting better.  I think by mid-season the show should be pretty good.  The time travel elements are frustrating, but I am upset about the time travel.  So far, they are treating time and space the same way Doctor Who does.  What I mean is that each time jump is basically just a new location for an adventure to occur.  Doctor Who is one of the worst shows when it comes to doing intelligent time travel stories, but that is because that is not the focus of the series.  The focus is adventure throughout time...not adventures of time travel.  What is the difference?  Well, the difference is the first just focuses on having fun adventures in different time eras and the other focuses on the effects and ramifications of time travel. 

So Legends is taking a sorta Back to the Future/Doctor Who lighthearted take on time travel and that is fine.  However, dealing with immortal foe that does not have super powers should be incredibly easy for this team.  They have literally all the advantage in this battle.  1) Future technology.  2) Highly skilled team.  3) Advanced ship and computer AI  4) Determined crew with a real reason to succeed.  Literally nothing should stop them.  However, they are routinely defeated because of their own stupidity and when they do succeed they don't take advantage of their success.

Let's look at Vandal Savage's power.  1) He is immortal.  2) He can regenerate from all kinds of wounds.  3) He is highly skilled and extremely intelligent.  This should not be a problem for this team...when all they have to do is have one of their team kill him with her own weapon.  All that they need to do is keep him incapacitated until they can kill him.  Can they do that?  Yes, they have a freeze gun that completely allows for that to happen. 

Vandal Savage should not be a season long villain.  They should kill him quickly and then deal with the after effects of killing this evil man.  So how can they keep the time travel story interesting.  Here are a few ideas.

1) Vandal Savage himself in the future has a time machine and he is using this technology to give him an edge even earlier in history and causing massive problems with the time steam.  He continually prevents them from killing his younger self.

2) Similar story arc, but someone from the Time Council doesn't want the team to succeed so they keep on going back in time to prevent their success or aid Savage.  This Time Councilor could then become the new series big bad.

3) They kill Vandal Savage early in history and they cause a huge time Paradox preventing them from going home, because they were in the Time Vortex when the world changed.  They are trapped outside their own time.  Now they must choose between letting Vandal Savage win, or trying to fix the time streams in such a way that they can go back to their own time. 

4) Last Idea Quantum Leap/Sliders the story.  Let them succeed in defeating Vandal Savage, but in the process they time ship is destroyed and they are thrown into for Vortex landing in a random time and they must have adventures in time trying to survive and not damage the time line...hoping they will find a time hole back to their correct time. 

All of these ideas have more potential than just Vandal Savage.  Who is an awesome villain, just not good for time travel stories...as he is beatable in this version of the character.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: February 22, 2016, 01:40:03 AM »
Agent Carter

For me, season 2 is way, way better than season 1. I watched season 1 because the posters of Peggy in a red hat suggested a fun neo-noir type adventure. However, that did not turn out to be the case. The problem with season 1 is how the shop wanted to keep changing tone every episode. Moreover, it's plot was complex yet nonsensical. I mean, seriously, when you think about the first two episodes and the last two episodes, it's hard to see how they are connected based on the villains and motives and there were only 4 episodes in between them. Needless to say, as the only Marvel TV show I'd seen so far, I wasn't that impressed with what I saw and didn't even care that much about Season 2.

The only reason I watched it is because ABC decided to play a repeat of the first two episodes on Sunday night that week and since there was nothing else on, I thought I'd record it and just see what it was like. I'm glad I did because whoever is working on the show learned some lessons from season 1 and are doing a much better job this year. Right now, Agent Carter is leagues above Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow and is in The Flash and Arrow territory of top comic book programming and, frankly, I'm almost more excited to see this on Tuesday then The Flash.

Unlike Season 1, Season 2 has made clear exactly who the villains are this year and what the threat is while still keeping some mystery to it. Peggy has engaged them early and thus there is a greater conflict between the heroes and villains. It's been able to blend humour and drama much better. While the first season may have been a mess tonally and in plot direction, it did contain some character development for various individuals and season 2 is smartly utilizing that history with its character development this time out giving most of the players their own conflicts along with the main plot. I would say that only Jarvis has lacked in having any conflict but this latest episode has now given him that. Perhaps the most surprising thing about season 2 is Dottie. She may be my favorite character this season and captivates all attention whenever she's on screen. I seriously want more screen time for her and I'd almost forgotten she existed after season 1. While the show still isn't perfect and has some moments I'd deem less successful, I've been willing to let them slide because the show is staying pretty strong the rest of the time.

With only 3 episodes left, I'm actually pretty excited to see how this is all going to turn out. This is very different from season 1 where I only watched the end of it because I'd already watched most of it so I might as well stick it out to the end and just kind of endured through it. Sort of like what I'm doing with Supergirl these days. Alright, maybe there's one thing that does bug me about Season 2. It has to do with Zero Matter. I get there's mystery behind it and no is quite sure of what it is and can do yet. However, all Whitney Frost can do is control it to envelope and disappear objects and things. Her greatest display of this came when she enveloped a bunch of dudes sitting around a table. How is this a world changing power that she keeps talking about? Is this all there is to Zero Matter? And let's talk about the effort to subdue her. Two restraining ropes are put around her neck. What was the plan there? After she breaks free from the ropes and wants revenge, no one tries to shoot her? For that matter, why have none of the other villains tried to take a pot shot or assassinate her since? There's been no evidence that Zero Matter can stop a bullet or make her bullet proof. There's been no evidence that Zero Matter has enhanced Whitney Frost in any other way besides sending out some Zero Matter from her hands that has to travel along the ground to a target. Seems to me that other people are capitulating to her way easier than I think they would and I just haven't been sold on her being this powerful demi-god like person the show seems to be pitching her as.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:44:11 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: February 22, 2016, 05:05:03 PM »
Agent Carter has kept me going for two reasons alone:

1 - Hayley Atwell looks stunning. The 40s look is perfect on her.
2 - James D'Arcy and Hayley Atwell have such fantastic chemistry. Those two on screen alone is worth it.

Plugabugz:  I am watching Legends of Tomorrow, and after a few rough episodes where they have to get this motley crew to like each other.  The show is getting better.  I think by mid-season the show should be pretty good.  The time travel elements are frustrating, but I am upset about the time travel.  So far, they are treating time and space the same way Doctor Who does.  What I mean is that each time jump is basically just a new location for an adventure to occur.  Doctor Who is one of the worst shows when it comes to doing intelligent time travel stories, but that is because that is not the focus of the series.  The focus is adventure throughout time...not adventures of time travel.  What is the difference?  Well, the difference is the first just focuses on having fun adventures in different time eras and the other focuses on the effects and ramifications of time travel. 

You're right about Doctor Who's loose focus on time, but thats how it manages to get away with it. "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" literally explains everything away. Plus the narratively complicated River Song - River meeting the (tenth) Doctor for the final time, but the first time chronologically for him - means they can actually dive into that story and at the end tie it up.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3598 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
I always thought River Song was a missed opportunity to play with time.  They did so much RIGHT with her...but I wanted a small tweak.

Personally, I liked the idea that she was a sorta half-bred Time Lord, though the explanation of how she became a Time Lord was stupid.

I would have loved her story to be that she aged through time in reverse, that her life span literally when the opposite flow of regular time.  This would have explained the general and everything about her strange relationship with the Doctor and would have been a fascinating play off of the character.  Having her be a weapon against the Doctor this aging would make sense too.  Because if she failed her life would still be going backwards to a point she would still know the Doctor but he wouldn't know her, so that she could attempt to kill him again.

Oh well. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 23, 2016, 12:55:10 AM »
SO I just watched a few episodes of Teen Titans Go! today, and OMG this cartoon had me laughing so damn loud.

a few random episodes, just some random stuff that happens, and comments that are made. completely caught off guard.
Well you got me turned on to Avengers Assemble so I'll give this a shot once that is done.

here are 2 good moments from Teen Titans GO
https://www.facebook.com/TheOriginalBestOfTumblr/videos/vb.252714998213038/1145780622239800/?type=2&theater

in this last one, pause to read the boxes in the background.

just to give you a sense of the humor and randomness going on.