Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 DLC Thread (NoE pot stirring Edition)  (Read 30081 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 DLC Announced (AOC, ICQ, BBQ)
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
Played through the new circuits a bit ago. The courses are overall pretty great! The Zelda level went to a surprising level of detail (keep an eye out for the loftwing) and showed a willingness to tweak the game template that I found kind of shocking giving how, erm, traditional this series usually feels. Same with the F-Zero track to a lesser degree.

Three quibbles (I knew nothing about the new circuits going in other than that there would be Zelda, F-Zero, and Excitebike tracks)

-Why a third Rainbow Road? I thought two was borderline in the first place. Luckily it's actually pretty fun, if short.

-The Dragon Drift (or whatever) level is cool, but I found it odd that F-Zero is right after it, as both are based on twisting curved surfaces.

-Ice Ice Outpost (or whatever): Kind of lame. This might get better once I figure out the shortcuts, though.

Edit: Also, Wario Mine is pretty meh, feels unnecessary after Shy Guy Falls.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:46:38 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »
the tracks are mostly fun, personally i disliked the ice/toad track i found it a bit dull
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
Yeah, Ice Ice Outpost is definitely the worst of the DLC tracks. It isn't outright terrible; it's just categorically the worst when put up against the other ones. Ice Ice Outpost is kind of bland aesthetically as well as in terms of design. It's ice themed because **** it, why not? The branching paths aren't as different as say, Sweet Sweet Canyon.

Wario's Gold Mine seems less annoying than it was on Mario Kart Wii though that may have more to do with me no longer using bikes.

Dragon Driftway is a nice looking track and a decent track overall.

Yoshi's Circuit is a good retro choice though it doesn't use any of Mario Kart 7's or Mario Kart 8's new mechanics. I don't think SNES Rainbow Road does either, but Nintendo did a fine job updating the look.

Mute City is such a cool looking track. It's a shame Nintendo didn't give us Captain Falcon as a selectable character as well.

Hyrule Circuit is amazing. The mini-shortcut with the switches is awesome.

Excitebike Arena is my absolute favorite new track. It just edges out Mute City and Hyrule Circuit. It's also really great that the jumps are randomized every time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »
This is finally out? Time to buy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
Wario's Gold Mine is easier since the mine carts don't  damage you this time around, but instead give you boosts for running into them, which is nice.

My favorite new tracks are Excitebike Arena, Mute City, Dragon Driftway, and Hyrule Castle.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 DLC Thread (We all hate Ice Ice Outpost, right?)
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »
Ha! Didn't know that about Wario's Gold Mine. Still kept avoiding the carts.

3-starred the two cups and I have to say the courses for the most part are pretty good. The characters are meh though, I'm already tired of Link's grunting.

My personal order of tracks:
1: Excitebike Arena
2: Yoshi Circuit (I just love getting into a good drifting rhythm at full speed)
3: Mute City
4: SNES Rainbow Road (just for nostalgia's sake, the wider track takes away all the danger of the original)
5: Dragon Driftway
6: Hyrule Circuit (take away all the Zelda fan service and it's a pretty ho hum track, like they took chunks of different tracks and pasted them together.)
7: Wario's Gold Mine
8: Getting hit by a blue shell.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »
I really dug the levels in my one playthrough of them.  Link fits in along with all the Mario characters surprisingly enough, although it may be that way because he's clearly modeled after Skyward Sword.
Really loved Rainbow Road (nostalgia trip on acid), Mute City, Hyrule, other than that, I didn't find anything particularly noteworthy or aggravating.  Excitebike was fun from a nostalgia purpose, but I wasn't crazy about it. 

That said, can anyone tell me where Dragon Driftway is inspired from? 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
What I like about a lot is in Hyrule Castle is how they redid the sounds.  When you get the item and its going through its doing the do do da da like a chest.  Rupees Clink like Rupees.  In Mute City running over the shield Recharge recharges you coins.  Captain Falco wants you to "show him your moves"  Little things like that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »
I really like the new tracks.  The Excitebike one just felt really cool.  I'm glad we got a good mix of old tracks and new ones; the balance felt right on those.  Only two felt kinda "meh" but it was nice to see that Yoshi track return, and the Ice Ice one is at least new.

Didn't realize the mine carts in Wario Mines gave you a boost.  I was instinctively avoiding them :P
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »
That said, can anyone tell me where Dragon Driftway is inspired from?
I'm not sure it's directly inspired by anything specifically, but the dragon that you drive through at the start of the track bears a strong resemblance to Gobblegut from Super Mario Galaxy 2.

And I, too, avoided the mine carts in Wario's Gold Mine. I just ignored the blue anti-gravity light.

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »
The music for Mute City is amazing! I intentionally would do time trial just to listen to it, without actually racing of course. Shame there is not a juke box feature.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
I like Ice Ice Outpost. There are shortcuts all over this track and if you choose the wrong track at a given time, you miss the shortcut. It's a brilliant design meant to confuse you during a competitive race. I thought the weakest track was bringing back the SNES Rainbow Road. It's not fun at all.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
I find the DLC to be a mixed bag. I don't care for any of the "characters" it brings, but some of the vehicles are nice. They should all have come with tires and a glider though, but I have that complaint about the base selection as well. As for the tracks...

-Yoshi Circuit: They probably should have spiced this one up more, but even still, this was one of my faves from Double Dash!! so it's still fun.
-ExciteBike Arena: I like the concept, but feel the track should be longer. This just makes me want a new Excite game though.
-Dragon Driftway: This one has some fun twists and turns, but I don't like the theme of it. The whole Chinese motif for the graphics and music just doesn't fit at all, I don't get it.
-Mute City: This one definitely captures the soulless feel of an F-Zero game, heh heh. Aside from the boring visuals it's fun to race on, but I felt like item spamming was bad here. Or maybe it was just an unlucky period.

-Wario's Gold Mine: I don't really like the changes they made to this one, it feels less dynamic and easier compared to the original. The original was fun because it took some skill and had some danger.
-SNES Rainbow Road: This one feels like a throwaway, it's a real stinker.
-Ice Ice Outpost: I like the idea of the two "lanes" thing throughout this track, but it seems a tad plain. There should have been an underwater section here at least. There are a couple shortcuts that I haven't figured out how to take properly yet, but, they seem pretty dangerous for the small payoff.
-Hyrule Circuit: Probably the best of the bunch, this one just has a nice flow to it and is fun to race, not to mention the nice Zelda nods.

Overall, the DLC is a bit underwhelming and the tracks don't seem up to the quality of most of the new tracks in the base game, but still worthwhile.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:04:05 PM by Mop it up »

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »
I actually like all the tracks except for Wario's Gold Mine. Don't hate it as much as I did in Double Dash, but still never vote for it online. Just wish Link wasn't a heavy driver as you see him everywhere now. The average seems to be 3 to 5 Links in every lobby I've been in so far.

Oh & Blue Falcon is starting to become my new favorite kart again.
Mission...complete?

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 12:51:01 AM »
The DLC is a nice addition. Some fun courses but that's about it. I love Mute City though. I guess I could try to go for a 3 star ranking on the new cups, but I know better.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:20 PM »
Mute City at least plays faster than the other tracks, but it's still no substitute for real F-Zero

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Mute City is SO bittersweet.  Such a tease.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
Has anyone else had problems uploading videos to YouTube? Nintendo has acknowledged there's a problem for some users (including myself) and they're working on an update for it.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13169/p/431
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/143898#143898

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
Baby Park is official! Exclamation point!

See you fuckers online!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:48:15 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 09:47:04 PM »
No Waluigi Pinball = fail. Still, that "Ribbon Road" course looks awesome. Nintendo's really pouring salt into the wounds of F-Zero fans, though, by putting another F-Zero track in this DLC when they refuse to make a new F-Zero game.

And the less said about Baby Park, the better IMO. It was the most boring track in an already dull Mario Kart installment.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »
And the less said about Baby Park, the better IMO. It was the most boring track in an already dull Mario Kart installment.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 10:10:54 PM »

Sorry Adrock, you self-burned there.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
OMGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Nintendo needs to have these guys just remix the hell out of every Nintendo soundtrack ever and start pumping CD's out of it.  If they could make millions of Amiibos, the fanbase would certainly buy these soundtracks like crazy.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeah!!!!!!

Online Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 DLC Thread (EFFIN BABY PARK Y'ALL!!!!!1)
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 10:41:56 PM »
Baby Park is a flagship stage for Mario Kart. Beautiful chaos.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast