Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455401 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1500 on: February 23, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
Brace yourselves.

The pain is coming to Nintendo World Report.

"I'm really feeling it!"
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 25, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »
New 3DS XL has had me going back and playing a lot more Smash 3DS considering that it's so much easier tto grind for custom moves and equips to fuel the Amiibo apocalypse! the stopping the roulette thing for classic is no longer nearly as painful thanks to the processing speed, and seeing as this is the first product in the XL line I have owned, I am very much enjoying the bigger display!

It's a bit disappointing that the C-nubbin' can't be mapped to tilt attacks or specials, but I suppose it's just nice to have easy back airs and access to some of the silly **** you can do with jump-cancel glide toss on Mega Man.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 15, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »
So the update has been decrypted and the results are rather interesting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/

Victory theme data for Street Fighters Ryu and Fire Emblems Roy along with Mewtwo and Lucas.  Looks like we know who the next DLC characters are going to be.  If Roy is indeed coming back with already 4 Fire Emblem characters, not only do I expect Wolf to eventually show up but I wouldn't be surprised if Squirtle, Ivysaur and even Pichu find a way back. 

Oh and Ryu, looks like third party character aren't limited to one per company.  Wonder if we might get another Sega and Namco character added as well?

Edit

And here's the rip of Ryu's Victory theme.

http://tindeck.com/listen/bydjc

Wonder if this means Sakurai is going old school Street Fighter 2 retro with him?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:52:17 AM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 15, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
Yikes, I really hope this one is bullshit. Roy would be super dumb. Ryu seems both far-fetched and boring. I bought the Rayman leak too easily, so I'm going to steadfastly regard this as fake, even after it turns out to be true.

After the Lucas reveal, I agree that Wolf is (unfortunately) likely, but there's no way Ivysaur, Squirtle, or Pichu are coming back.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 15, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »
I am stoked for Roy to return. Haters gonna hate, he was my fav in Melee.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 15, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »
I didn't entirely buy the Rayman rumor, but I admittedly leaned toward it being legit. I think the difference here is that this is apparently data mined from the update. I'm not ready to believe it. I'd welcome both Roy and Ryu though. I always liked Roy more than Marth though Lucina is my "main" so I don't know how often I'd use Roy.

Ryu is an interesting choice. Back in the day, when we all listed characters we'd like to see, Ryu made my Capcom list after Mega Man. I think Ryu would fit though I recall reading that Sakurai was against fighting game characters making it on the roster. I'm too lazy to verify that. Even if true, he has changed his mind before with both Pac-Man and Miis so I guess you never know. I would hope, however, that Nintendo worked out a deal with Capcom to get Street Fightet V (or anything really) in exchange for all the free advertising.

I'd be very surprised to see the other Pokemon back. Mewtwo has a following that the others don't. I'd bet on Wolf coming back, but there's no real evidence other than "Well, Lucas is DLC."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:24:09 PM by Adrock »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »
I would be happy to see Ryu- that's a huge fighting game character and it makes sense that he would be in Smash Bros, I just worry that his moveset would be too predictable. he is the one Capcom character I could see entering that deserves it, aside from Mega Man- Namco has Tekken but I don't think that's as iconic as Street Fighter, and Sega has absolutely nothing.

Wolf I can most certainly see coming back with that lovely Star Fox Wii U on he horizon, and it makes me wonder if Lucas will come with an announcement of Mother 3 for the west- probably not, but hey, here's hoping. They have a lot of potential to have some great announcements occur with these characters, and if they announce/release Lucas right around E3 alongside Mother 3 I'm sure we would all eat it up.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 15, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
Sega has Virtua Fighter (and Fighting Vipers... but really, just Virtua Fighter). Namco also has Soul Calibur. Final Destination looks Soul Edge/Calibur themed. Ryu is the obvious choice as far as fighting game characters go.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 15, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »
A Soul Calibur character would be neat as a nod to Link being in SC2, but I don't know enough about the series to know if there's somebody iconic enough to be a representative. As far as other third parties go, I still think Simon Belmont makes the most sense given historical impact and potential for a unique and interesting move set.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »
I want my fucking Mewtwo code. >.<

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »
A Soul Calibur character would be neat as a nod to Link being in SC2, but I don't know enough about the series to know if there's somebody iconic enough to be a representative. As far as other third parties go, I still think Simon Belmont makes the most sense given historical impact and potential for a unique and interesting move set.
Agreed on Simon Belmont. I wonder which art style would be used: classic, Ayami Kojima's redesign, or MercurySteam's redesign. I personally prefer MercurySteam's.

As for Soul Calibur, I'd say probably Siegfried/Nightmare. Seigfried has been in every game in the series (temporarily as Nightmare in Soul Calibur I and II), including Soul Edge.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »
Well Sakurai did say in an interview after E3 when Pac Man was revealed that Namco wanted Heihachi from Tekken as their playable character and Sakurai had to tell them he wanted Pac Man.  So if Namco wants Heihachi I wouldn't be surprised if they might get their chance with DLC.  Tekken is Namco's most popular fighting game and the most popular 3D fighting series of all time with Heihachi as the face of the series.  Plus he's shown up in other crossover like the PS2 version of Soul Calibur 2 and Sony Smash Bros.  There's also the fact the Tekken team is making the upcoming Pokemon fighting game along with the Wii U port of Tekken Tag 2 for the Wii U's launch with the Nintendo themed costumes so the Tekken series has gotten some interesting Nintendo connections going on recently.

Oh and Cutting Room Floor, the number one resource on hacking and discovering all things in every videogames data has confirmed the Ryu sound data is indeed in the recent update.

So this rip of Ryu's stage from Street Fighter 2 Arcade and Victory theme are truly located in the newest update. 

Unless Sakurai has found a new a truly evil way to troll, Ryu and Roy are as good as confirmed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:42:02 PM by Luigi Dude »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 15, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Roy's our boy! I still those Ice Climbers though.

Also, now that level sharing is a thing I went and played with the stage builder and...holy crap it's pretty much worthless. I mean, aside from making your own version of Smashketball, there's just not enough tools to make a decent level. Working with the stylus feels good, but the lack of tools just bums me out. You guys can grab my crappy homage to the Simpsons' Escalator to Nowhere if you're on my friends list though. Try it out!

And yes, I set the music to "Live and Learn".
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 16, 2015, 07:34:34 AM »
What's weird to me about Ryu's victory theme and stage music is that they aren't remixed or updated in any way. They both sound ripped from Street Fighter II. Granted, Super Smash Bros. has included the original music and sound effects from older games, but Sakurai has gone all out before with hiring all those composers to remix songs so I'd expect the same here. I suppose there's nothing stopping remixes from appearing in an upcoming update (in addition to the originals) that actually include Ryu though it's odd that anything would be included in this update. Maybe this is a meta-troll, included only since Sakurai is aware that the update would be data-mined immediately so it was thrown in there to drive everyone crazy with rumors and speculation... SAKURAIIIIIII!!!!!

The more I think about it, the more I want Roy back. From what I understand, he isn't popular among Fire Emblem fans, but in Super Smash Bros., he's been heavily requested to return. I'll buy all the DLC characters and if Nintendo offers stages, I'll buy those too. I accidentally clicked the Mii costumes on the shop. It's like $9 for the costumes in both versions. That was a good laugh.

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on Mewtwo? I haven't played him yet. I played against a CPU Mewtwo in both versions then my friend picked him. I rarely used Mewtwo in Melee, but I'm glad he's back all the same.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 16, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
Hyruken!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1515 on: April 16, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
I almost wanna bet that instead of Ryu as a character, we'll get a Ryu costume for Miis. Roy too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 16, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »
Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on Mewtwo? I haven't played him yet. I played against a CPU Mewtwo in both versions then my friend picked him. I rarely used Mewtwo in Melee, but I'm glad he's back all the same.

He's actually a great character this time.  Even though his moveset is mostly the same, all attacks that involve his psychic powers have been buffed bigtime so he actually feels like the legendary psychic Pokemon he should be.  His Smash Attacks have incredible KO power and a fully charged Shadow Ball is the strongest base charge shot in the game now (second overall to only fully Aura charged Lucario).  Oh and his Throws are extremely powerful with great range as well.

Yeah he's still very light, floaty and can KO'd pretty easily but his attack power more then makes up for his weaknesses this time, unlike his Melee counterpart who just sucked in every category. 

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 16, 2015, 06:50:19 PM »
I'm going to not play as or with Mewtwo until the next patch, as he seems to be breaking the game in many ways.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 16, 2015, 09:43:45 PM »
Roy's our boy! I still those Ice Climbers though.

Also, now that level sharing is a thing I went and played with the stage builder and...holy crap it's pretty much worthless. I mean, aside from making your own version of Smashketball, there's just not enough tools to make a decent level. Working with the stylus feels good, but the lack of tools just bums me out. You guys can grab my crappy homage to the Simpsons' Escalator to Nowhere if you're on my friends list though. Try it out!

And yes, I set the music to "Live and Learn".
Pfft please, I set mine to Sonic Heroes.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 20, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
If anyone wants Gamecube adapters, they're on sale at Nintendo's online store.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1520 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »
I almost wanna bet that instead of Ryu as a character, we'll get a Ryu costume for Miis. Roy too.

This makes way more sense, and it would be a fun costume.  I approve your prediction.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1521 on: April 20, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »
Do the costumes change your win music for the Mii, though?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1522 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Honestly, I can't tell.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 21, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »
The only Roy this game needs is Roy Koopa.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1524 on: April 21, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
You mean that unused skin for Wendy?
Tutorial box out.