Author Topic: Metroid II Remake Has Finally (Had The Hammer) Dropped  (Read 13961 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid II Remake Has Finally (Had The Hammer) Dropped
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
Anyone else find it ironic that if you look at the indie scene and there are Metroidvanias all over the place, yet both Metroid and Castlevania are effectively dead?  There is a whole generation of indie devs that seem to have been inspired by Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night and yet Nintendo and Konami act like those games are irrelevant.  If indie off-brand Metroidvanias can find enough of an audience for those devs to continue to make games then why couldn't Nintendo and Konami pull it off when they've got the existing brand names?  Konami has pretty much given up on videogames but with Nintendo I think the problem is that they're thinking too big.  They seem to want Metroid to be a big mainstream hit but if they made it for the 3DS or as an eShop release with a smaller team and didn't go for broke on HD visuals they could probably make something profitable that would be very well received and popular with the smaller audience that's into Metroid.  Hell they probably could have just spent the resources they spent on Federation Force and put it towards a real Metroid and it would probably sell better than Federation Force will (which I assume is going to be a massive bomb).

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »
They seem to want Metroid to be a big mainstream hit but if they made it for the 3DS or as an eShop release with a smaller team and didn't go for broke on HD visuals they could probably make something profitable that would be very well received and popular with the smaller audience that's into Metroid.

That's exactly the issue with Metroid right now.  To Nintendo making an eShop only, lower budget 2D Metroid like all the indie projects inspired by it is a sign of defeat.  After that happens who would be willing to buy a full priced retail 2D Metroid anymore?  They want to be able pull a NSMB or DCK Returns where they can make the return of the first 2D Metroid in over a decade a big deal that drives up sales of a full $50 retail game in sales over a million.  Metroid Fusion sold 1.6 million copies which is more then Super which did around 1.4 million.  In comparison Zero Mission didn't even sell a million which is why we've never seen any official sales on what it sold.

That's why it's been so long since we've gotten a 2D Metroid.  Zero Mission despite being well beloved my fans and critics alike, was a huge drop in sales compared to Fusion.  Nintendo knows the series can do better which is why they're waiting until they have the right idea and team to release such a title that can achieve million plus sales again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
According to the developer, there's been no cease and desist handed down from Nintendo and so far they've only sent DMCA notices to the sites that had the game up for download. The C&D could still be coming, but if this holds it sounds like the developer can continue developing and updating the game, which would be about as good an outcome as anybody could have reasonably hoped for in this kind of situation.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm plotting out something for the site that is the equivalent of a "trade value" column for Nintendo franchises, and I'm not sure Metroid is in the top 10 at this point BECAUSE its core gameplay is effectively open source.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »
On a certain level I can agree with that, but at the same time there are at least ten times as many indie 2D platformers as there are indie Metroid-style games, and Nintendo still manages to stand out above the crowd when they want to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 10:11:20 PM »
It really depends on the parameters you'd set for what's eligible to be included and what constitutes "trade value." In the strictest sense, I can only think of five Nintendo properties that I think are easy calls to have more intrinsic value than Metroid (plus two more that I think most people would have ahead of it, but I'm not so sure about). If you're a little more liberal with what's included (like series that are combinations of other properties, or derived from existing properties), or start bringing numbers into it, then it becomes really interesting. That sounds like a really neat idea for a column.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 10:21:52 PM »
I downloaded as soon as I could, I haven't installed it yet though. Nintendo should work on having a few remakes available for GameBoy games because I'd imagine they are still good games, but the system had it's limitations, and I'd imagine not everyone got to play them. I never had a Gameboy, yet there are a number of games I might be interested in playing if they had them available, but with some visual tweeks.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 04:53:08 AM »
That's a decent point about the proliferation of Metroidvania titles on the indie scene reducing the incentive for Nintendo to dip back in, but I've played a lot of them given my love of the three "modern" 2D Metroid games, and I still honestly think that Shadow Complex is the only one that gets in the ballpark. The framework seems approachable to indie devs, but in practice it seems to be quite hard to actually nail the design ethos. Both Axiom Verge and this Metroid II remake gave me strong first flushes, but ultimately turned out lacking. I think Nintendo could really look at the formula and give it a refresh with a 2.5D game with novel mechanics, if they were so inclined.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 04:26:15 PM »
Metroidvania fans are not casual rubes that only know a few titles.  Everyone that digs Metroidvania games is fully aware of what Metroid is and probably adores it.  Saying that too many similar games it going to make it hard for Nintendo is stand out is like saying that too many metal albums will make it hard for a new Metallica album to stand out.  The competition can make it difficult for any new Metroidvania franchise to stand out and find an audience but Metroid is the strongest brandname there is in that genre.  The only way that would diminish is if Nintendo ruins the brand by making poor titles under the Metroid label, you know like they've been doing since 2010, and "Sonics" it.

The people playing Shadow Complex, Cave Story or Axiom Verge would all eat up a proper Metroid.  If anything part of the reason these games find an audience is because Nintendo has been so shitty at filling the demand for such titles themselves.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2016, 11:57:22 PM »
AM2R is (almost) the Truth.

I am shocked at how much of a Metroid-ass Metroid game this is. The way Samus moves and animates, the art style, the music, sound effects, all the intangibles, this is Metroid. I play as many Metroidvanias as I can get my hands on and this is as close as we've gotten to Zero Mission since Zero Mission. One dude made this!

Someone in this thread said items and upgrades aren't as cleverly hidden as they are in Nintendo-made Metroids, and I think that's accurate. We'll see how the end game content is, as that's usually where the multi step shinesparking stuff happens. (I'm only two hours in.)

Quibbles aside, the game is giving me the same "I need to play all of this ASAP" pull that the best Metroidvania games give me. That's just about the highest compliment I can give a game.

So far, 10/10 would torrent again.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2016, 12:03:27 AM »
Metroidvania fans are not casual rubes that only know a few titles.
Tell that to all those self-proclaimed "hardcore metroidvania fans" who aren't even aware of Toki Tori 2, La-Mulana and Fluidity/Hydroventure.

I am shocked at how much of a Metroid-ass Metroid game this is. The way Samus moves and animates, the art style..
No wonder, considering art-style is taken straight from the original article.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:05:34 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »
I tried to play this, but my computer sucks. Most of my USB ports are dead so I can't plug in a controller. Last summer, all I did was replay Metroid Games, those were fun.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 10:56:49 PM »
RIP git gud an get new one bra!
Made you look ****.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »
I just finished this and it was spectacular. I haven't played M2, Fu, or ZM, so it was all new to me and went into it blind, an experience I have not felt since Prime 3 nearly a decade ago. It has just enough linearity and small enough in scope to keep it from getting frustrating even when you get lost. Loved the music, loved the graphics, loved the enemies and environments, couldn't put it down (even when I was lost), enraged by the few boss fights, grateful for the ample save stations, in awe at some "story action" points, wishing it would never end.

8/10 for some boss fights, glitches, some powerup abilities that aren't fully explained, and a few sections that giftwrap powerups without putting up much of a challenge. If they had another few months it'd be a perfect 10.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
Hey, remember last week when Pokemon Uranium and AM2R were nominated for Best Fan Creation at the 2016 Game Awards?

Well you shouldn't, because it never actually happened, apparently. This really should not surprise anyone, but it removes what little legitimacy the Game Awards had by caving in to one of their sponsorships.

https://www.destructoid.com/pokemon-uranium-and-am2r-dropped-from-best-fan-game-category-at-the-game-awards-400486.phtml
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
Sucks, but kinda makes sense from Nintendo's perspective.  Can't let people win awards on things you sent cease-and-desist orders over.  Would probably only entice people to make more of them.

Though, the lesson they won't take away is: Metriod II desperately needs an "official" remake and people want it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
How many fan films that use someone else's IP get nominated for Oscars?  How many songs with unlicensed samples get nominated for Grammys?

None.

So why does excluding indy games that illegally use someone else's IP hurt the legitimacy of the Game Awards?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
So why does excluding indy games that illegally use someone else's IP hurt the legitimacy of the Game Awards?

Because it's an awards show caving into pressure from a sponsor. The Game Awards created the category in 2014 and has had no problems until today. Twitch plays Pokemon, based on a ROM of the original Pokemon Red running on an emulator, won that year. For better or worse, The Game Awards legitimized the work of modders and fan content with an award voted by the community.

Nintendo is so salty with the creators of these fan-made games that they're willing to pull their muscle on this one and Keighley is apparently willing to let Nintendo bully his awards show. Meanwhile, iD software is congratulating the makers of the Brutal Doom 64 mod on their nomination.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »
Nintendo needs to start a fund to buy up all this talent. Most of these are US based. Get these guys together and turn them into a studio. Call them something like...wait that name is awesome im not publicizing it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »
That actually sounds a lot more community friendly than C&D-ing some fan creations to death. Invite the creators into a probationary program where they can work with other skilled creators overseen by someone at Nintendo and if they can put out a quality product within one year (either a professionally done version of their fan creation w/ Nintendo oversight or another project of Nintendo's choosing) then offer them a job at one of their studios.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »
That actually sounds a lot more community friendly than C&D-ing some fan creations to death. Invite the creators into a probationary program where they can work with other skilled creators overseen by someone at Nintendo and if they can put out a quality product within one year (either a professionally done version of their fan creation w/ Nintendo oversight or another project of Nintendo's choosing) then offer them a job at one of their studios.

That sounds reasonable except, from a business point of view, if you reward the people who have modded these games and broken copyright, you are sending out a message of encouragement for others to start doing this too and you could then have a whole lot more people modding and putting a spin on your IP's and increase the proliferation of this copyright infringement because they have an expectation of being possibly rewarded for it with jobs in your company like these others were given for doing this. And chances are Nintendo doesn't want other fans or more people doing this then there are already.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 07:33:52 PM »
yah. wouldn't want all those basement dwellers doing remakes of Mario 2: The Lost Levels and eating into their profits.

:reggie: giveth, :reggie: taketh away.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.