Author Topic: Episode 209: Dubious Magnanimity  (Read 11410 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Episode 209: Dubious Magnanimity
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
Great Metroid discussion, guys. I eagerly await the chance to talk about the post-game with ya'll later this week.

The "Enjoy Your Massage" segment had me laughing my ass off. Every time I think about that game, I think about the scene in Austin Powers where he offers Felicity Shagwell a "Sensual ma-ssage."
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the great laughs you provided me during the post-show left-over talk about "Enjoy your Massage."  Based on your downloads, Wiiware recommends Cho Aniki, Cho Aniki, Cho Aniki... Good stuff.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »
Glad to hear Jonny that you're still planning on doing a spoiler heavy follow up on Mother 3, as personally I was disappointed with the Retroactive discussion. Someone mentioned during its brief initial discussion on RFN that the game seems to be building to something, and that was the sense I had throughout the majority of the game. This was the big topic I was hoping for discussion on - whether the game makes good on its build up. I feel as Mother 3 is paced more like an old fashioned novel, or a Japanese film than a game, as the plot development starts off slow (aside from the major event in chapter 1 which sets up the whole story) but quickens considerably toward the end. As a result the forum thread ended up becoming primarily a discussion of the divisive ending, and arguably that is what the game relies on as its primary compelling feature (at least this was the sole reason I persevered when I had a tough time with the bosses - my fault for not realising about the frog banks...). I haven't played it, but to me Mother 3 was just like Johnny described Heavy Rain, where there is a combination of hope and expectation that the conclusion to the plot will prove satisfying that motivates playing through to the end.

Also more on the topic of this episode specifically, when the last email from Steve was read I mistook the meaning of it, and at first I thought it had been misunderstood by the crew and was planning on writing that here, but listening back it was me who misinterpreted it. Still I think my mistake could be a potentially interesting question in its own right, even if it is somewhat similar, so I'll be emailing that soon.

Oh yes and just to add to the growing string of approving comments, the stinger to this episode was absolutely hilarious, loved it!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:08:33 PM by adadad »

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
I pretty much entirely agree with Jonny on Other M. An excellent game with cringeworthy, VERY bad, VERY Japanese writing. Which is funny given how much I disliked the E3 demo. The game is definitely closer to the 2D Metroids. The final boss of the main story is a little lame but I look forward to the post-game when I get back home.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »
You know, you could just...oh say...read the Metroid Other M forum thread here to answer most of these questions.  -_-'
To be fair, that thread is rife with spoilers, not all of which are marked.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:18 PM »
This entire forum should write a STRONGLY(emphasis) to Adam Sessler of G4 for giving this game a two out of five. What do you say?
Don't you think you should play the game before demanding anything like this?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
Glad to hear that the people who played Other M enjoyed it and James remained to be James.

Also, glad to hear that Jon probably put more time into Enjoy Your Massage than he will probably put into Other M. Much love, bro.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
This entire forum should write a STRONGLY(emphasis) to Adam Sessler of G4 for giving this game a two out of five. What do you say?
Don't you think you should play the game before demanding anything like this?

Apparently, MegaByte, he was joking. If you go back a page that was how he responded to my similar line of questioning.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline anand

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
Jonny, you played the WRONG version of Prince of Persia, man. I believe the Wii version does have the same subtitle, which is stupid, but it is completely different and waaaaay better (with some amazing extras, to boot). One of the best third-party games of the year and probably Ubisoft's best game on the system, for my money. A sadly overlooked gem that is certainly worth the $20 that it generally goes for these days.

The story-telling is not quite up to the same standard as Sands of Time (what is?) and it also fails to relate to the original trilogy in any meaningful way, but you DO get a sort of female 'Navi'-type companion that follows you around, and, most importantly, the game feels like something new, unlike the 360 version. Not only something new, but something that could only be done on the Wii*. It's a little unpolished, but a true diamond in the rough. Very cool game, and you owe it to yourself and your listeners to give it a try. You owe it to the Prince.

*pre-Move
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:07:02 PM by anand »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Anand is right. Neal shipped me a copy of the game and, while I haven't beaten it yet, I very much enjoy it. There are parts of it that recall the 2008 reboot, in fact.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
I was planning on buying the Wii version of Prince of Persia, but I ended up buying the 360 version because I played it at PAX and had fun with it. Then again, I never played any of the original Sands of Time trilogy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Jonny, I read your article in the latest edition of EGM. Although I read it in the middle of a buisy grocery store, I had to skim over parts of it, but over all, I though it was a good article. I wrote a similar article in high school in which I compared the ESRB rating for games to product labels for food and automobiles.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 12:53:55 AM »
Jonny, you played the WRONG version of Prince of Persia, man. I believe the Wii version does have the same subtitle, which is stupid, but it is completely different and waaaaay better (with some amazing extras, to boot). One of the best third-party games of the year and probably Ubisoft's best game on the system, for my money. A sadly overlooked gem that is certainly worth the $20 that it generally goes for these days.

The story-telling is not quite up to the same standard as Sands of Time (what is?) and it also fails to relate to the original trilogy in any meaningful way, but you DO get a sort of female 'Navi'-type companion that follows you around, and, most importantly, the game feels like something new, unlike the 360 version. Not only something new, but something that could only be done on the Wii*. It's a little unpolished, but a true diamond in the rough. Very cool game, and you owe it to yourself and your listeners to give it a try. You owe it to the Prince.

*pre-Move

Hmm... based on that recommendation, I think that I'd like to find the game.  I never was too interested in it because I had felt that the story of that Prince had already played out, and I really just couldn't find a compelling reason to want to enter that world again.  Also, it just seemed highly likely that the game would turn out to be a  soulless cash-grab due to the loose movie tie-ins.   I haven't had the opportunity to play the 2008 reboot, either, but I'd like to.  Ultimately, I wish that efforts to continue the franchise had followed that thread instead. 

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »
Kytim, thanks for the EGM article feedback.

anand, thanks for the recommendation. Not sure if I'll get a chance to play it with everything else coming out, but I'll keep the Wii version in mind.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 10:12:54 AM »
The Enjoy Your Massage! part was quite enjoyable, with all the Cho Aniki references at the end along with everyone's incredulous reaction to the apparent price tag.  :D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline anand

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
Cool, more people getting turned on to PoP: TFS Wii! It's one of the few games that is better on the Wii than the HD twins. (There are quite a few franchises that are better on handhelds, though.)

To give you guys a taste of the unlockable goodness: 2.5D Prince of Persia challenges, the SNES version of the original, and Prince of Persia: Mystery Dungeon. For realz. It's basic, but still pretty cool. I loved those extras. I wish more companies included cool extra content like that. Stuff that subverts the game's rules in interesting ways.

I liked the characters in PoP 2008, but I was really disappointed in the story-telling mechanic. The way you had to stop and push the 'talk' button to hear more, I mean. My favorite part about Sands of Time was the seamless integration of dialogue. Instead of just sitting and watching, you were playing and listening. I see that game as one of the pillars of great video-game story-telling, along with Super Metroid and maybe ICO. But PoP 2008 ignored the lessons of Sands of Time, just as Metroid Prime and Other M ignored the lessons of Super Metroid.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:53:15 AM by anand »