Author Topic: MAFIA Forum-based Death Game Rules and Sign Up  (Read 15704 times)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
MAFIA Forum-based Death Game Rules and Sign Up
« on: January 05, 2006, 01:16:55 PM »
This game will be set in Louieville.  There are two gangs who dominate the town:  The Fanboys and The Pietriots.  They've been at war with each other and often the townsfolk are the collateral damage.  The town has had enough and has decided to fight back with swift, but often cruel, justice.  Mistakes will be made, but the town has hired an expert:  Detective Dick.  

Unfortunately, there's a serial killer also on the loose.  The town will have to be judicious in whom they choose to execute daily.  Keep your friends close and your enemies closer; play to win, but win to play; another lame cliche.  

Here are the roles and rules associated with them:

The Fanboys -  This gang of three will have all odd days (starting with Day 1, go figure.)  They are comprised of one Godfather (who will be the sole person responsible for messaging the narrator--yours truly--about who he wants dead) and two henchmen.

The Pietriots-- This gang of three with have all even days (day 2!  see how that works?)  They too will have one Godfather and two henchmen.

Dectective Dick--Every night he can investigate one person.  The Godfathers will be found as townies.  He may choose to share the info with whomever he trusts, but he cannot kill anyone.

The Serial Killer--This man is something awful.  Every other night (even nights) he heartlessly kills a random townie.

Doctor Zorders--He has the ability to protect one townie each night.  Unfortunately, he cannot protect himself.      If the mafia should put a hit on whomever he has protected, they still get to take a hit on someone else.  He's most helpful when he doesn't protect mafia.

Town Whore-- This sassy lady has the ability to change any townie's vote.  This role is useful in tight elections.  The town whore cannot make a tie, but she can BREAK a tie.  

Townies -- Innocent, kind, God-fearing individuals who are out for revenge against the bastards who are killing them.  

Everyone votes;  you may change your vote.  No one knows who the other person is except for the Mafias.  Game starts Monday morning.

When naming whom you're voting for, use a BOLD FONT WITH CAPITAL LETTERS.  You may change your vote, in which case use that same BOLD FONT and type VOTE CHANGE.  That makes it easier for me to tally it up and not kill off the wrong person by mistake.

BIG FAT EDIT

We've got 20 people now so I'm adding an additional role:

THE VIGILANTE:  The vigilante is on the side of the townies and is after the Mafia guys.  He can kill one person a night.  But, if the the vigilante should kill a townie, he must kill himself.

"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: MAFIA Forum-based Death Game Rules and Sign Up
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 01:21:54 PM »
This is me officially signing up to play this game on the internet.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE:MAFIA Forum-based Death Game Rules and Sign Up
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 01:25:02 PM »

PELVIC THRUST!!
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 01:55:47 PM »
I am in! If you're on my team, don't leak any critical info arrrrgh!

Question: the doc and the ho are townies and win when the townies win, right?

Offline breakyboy

• round the corner fudge is made
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:07:38 PM »
I want in.

I request to be the town whore olol.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 02:36:38 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
This is me officially signing up to play this game on the internet.

~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »
Oh sup 8)

In like a bargain bin
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »
I've already won this game!

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 04:34:18 PM »
Yes, the Doc and Ho are townies and are there to help.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 08:06:07 PM »
This game wold be funner with werewolves and vampires instead of mafia.

But, sure, I'm in.

If that's okay. After that, you know, that thing I did in the funhouse. That's behind us now, right?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 09:32:02 PM »
I'm in!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 10:57:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
This would be me, myself, I and moi semi-officially registering to perform the act of playing this source of entertainment on the World Wide Web hypertext transfer protocol uniform resource locator

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 12:42:46 AM »
As long as the Doc can cure me from anything that the Town Whore may or may not have done then count me in

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 03:39:47 AM »
Uhmm I want to play...

I still don't understand the rules though.  Is that ok?  What do we actually vote for?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 04:52:56 AM »
Dude, I want to play.  I totally want to be the town whore.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 08:01:45 AM »
I'm in.  

How many people are allowed to play?  Is there a limit?  When do votes have to be in by?  What happens if someone misses a vote?  What's the point of the henchmen?

How do the townies win--by killing off all mafia members or just the Godfathers?  Also, if the cop can't tell who the Godfathers are a townie win seems to be more luck than anything else.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 10:27:19 AM »
I'm in!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »
I am participating in this forum activity.

How do we pronounce the town? Loo-uh-ville or Louie-ville? Can we call it "the Loo"?

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 11:33:55 AM »

I still don't understand the rules though. Is that ok? What do we actually vote for?

How many people are allowed to play?  Is there a limit?  When do votes have to be in by?  What happens if someone misses a vote?  What's the point of the henchmen?

How do the townies win--by killing off all mafia members or just the Godfathers?  Also, if the cop can't tell who the Godfathers are a townie win seems to be more luck than anything else.

You vote for whomever you believe is Mafia.  If you choose not to vote, you may publicly abstain or simply not participate in voting.  In the daily threads you may discuss the voting.  

DEAD PEOPLE CAN NOT POST IN MAFIA THREADS!!  Once you die, that's it.  Be a good sport, and keep quiet.  If you're mafia, do not sell out your buddies, just sit on the sidelines and root for your side.

As many people that sign (deadline is when I get out of work early Monday morning and get access to my brother's computer, so that should be plenty of time) are allowed to play.  The voting will take place every day--except weekends.  If someone misses a day of voting, the polls close regardless, and only the votes cast are counted.  They are not penalized in any way.  The henchmen exist to create more of a threat to the town.  Even if you kill the Godfather, that's not the end of the Mafia.  He simply chooses his successor (but only the original Godfather is invisible to the Detective).  

The townies win by killing off all membersof the mafias.  And I've participated in a game where the Godfather was the last remaining character, with 7 townies.  Rather than bother with any kind of strategy the townies simply followed the Godfather's lead as he easily manipulated their votes.  If the Detective does his job well, finding the godfathers shouldn't be too difficult.  If he's killed early, the townies should start paying attention to voting patterns.  

Important strategy--if you are perceived as being smart, you will die.  So try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Polls may open at erratic times due to my work and school schedule, but closing times will remain constant.  Polls will open no later than 2 PM Eastern Standard.  Polls will always close at 11 PM Eastern Standard.

As far as why weekends are out of the question, I work Friday-Sunday 630pm - 7am.  So when I'm not at work, I'm asleep.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 11:51:14 AM »

If the Detective does his job well, finding the godfathers shouldn't be too difficult. If he's killed early, the townies should start paying attention to voting patterns.
I don't understand.  By the rules I'm used to, the detective just picks a person at random (or based on a "hunch") to see if they're part of the mafia.  There's little skill involved.

Furthermore, since identities are secret and dead people (on any team) aren't allowed to converse with others, how will the townies know if their detective has been killed?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 03:19:18 PM »
I think when someone dies, their position is revealed to the public. Right?

EDIT:  

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 04:27:36 PM »
I'll join. I'll be a crazed shotgun-wielding townie named Mirk.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 06:38:51 PM »
I'm down with this internet, yo (Pietriots automatic win!)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

If the Detective does his job well, finding the godfathers shouldn't be too difficult. If he's killed early, the townies should start paying attention to voting patterns.
I don't understand.  By the rules I'm used to, the detective just picks a person at random (or based on a "hunch") to see if they're part of the mafia.  There's little skill involved.

Furthermore, since identities are secret and dead people (on any team) aren't allowed to converse with others, how will the townies know if their detective has been killed?

The detective can form an alliance with townies by contacting them.  I won't go further into it, because it's more fun when the players develop their own strategies.  And, like Ty said, when someone dies his identity is revealed.  

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 06:29:48 AM »
So...when do we start?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42