Author Topic: SPECIALS: Wii Tricks and Secrets  (Read 32405 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
SPECIALS: Wii Tricks and Secrets
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:27:29 PM »
This is the Talkback thread for the Wii Tricks and Secrets special.  Do you know of any cool tricks or secrets about the Wii?  Say so here.  Of course, you are free to leave feedback about the special itself.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: SPECIALS: Wii Tricks and Secrets
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »
I found the photo channel cool.  Nice little touch on how the music changes with the different photo effects, and the overal navigation is easy.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:33:54 PM »
Now I know how to do a side pitch, cool, I was wandering how the cpu oppponent was able to do those.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:SPECIALS: Wii Tricks and Secrets
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »
Dude, I'm loving this sidepitch.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 04:38:31 PM »
I already made a topic for it, but I suppose it works here too;

If you use the Classic Controller, you may want to know that it can be used on Wii menus, and the Wii Shop Channel. It even works without the sensor bar plugged in. So for those willing to jump into a VC game, just have a set of batteries, a remote and a controller. All set.

Now heres a secret I want to know in Wii Bowling: Throwing straight balls, how?
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 05:13:37 PM »
The same way you throw a bowling ball straight in real life.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
The same way you throw a bowling ball straight in real life.

Yep. I'm a very good straight bowler, and typically adjusting myself right just a little (the Mii that is) will allow me to bowl it right down the center almost everytime. However, I have never quite gotten the hang of putting spin on a ball with any good results, and flounder at the last bowling training test; but my friends, who bowl all the time, are excellent at it and its fantastic to see that translate in Wii Sports.

Out of all the sports on the game, there is no doubt in my mind that the bowling one best captures the original sport, although I do think Boxing and Tennis are more fun to play.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »
From my Wii bowling playtime, it seems that the earlier you release the ball (without throwing it backwards obviously), the more curve it'll have. A nice early release with a hard hand twist left or right creates a very sharp turn.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline q33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 08:04:55 PM »
Nice secrets. Just one little issue with the article:

...finding the sweet spot in a forest that large is neigh impossible.
Neigh = horse's sound
Nigh = almost

Offline Zero_Wars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:09:03 AM »
As far as getting the ball to go straight in Bowling, I have always found that if you hold the B till you get to the point where you drop the ball, instead of rolling the ball, it has a tendency to go straight or mostly straight.  

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 07:12:30 AM »

Originally posted by: q33
Nice secrets. Just one little issue with the article:

...finding the sweet spot in a forest that large is neigh impossible.
Neigh = horse's sound
Nigh = almost

Spell check doesn't check for extraneous 'E's.

Fixed, thanks.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 07:46:39 AM »
Should have said more about the hint cat.

I actually own a cat which looks just like him, too...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 04:22:53 AM »
Here's another secret:

When you connect a Wii remote, the number of LEDs that flash on it corresponds to the amount of battery life that's left in the controller.  If you see three lights blinking, there will also be three bars of battery indicator on the Home menu.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 06:18:05 AM »
Here's a secret:

Use an old wrist strap and throw the remote quickly at the TV's weak spot for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Offline MikeCheck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »
Does anyone know how to put curve on the ball in Wii Tennis?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 06:02:41 AM »
Do you mean spin?  If so, I believe spin is determined by how you twist your wrist when you "hit" the ball--if you curve it down you forward spin on it and if you curve it up you put back spin on it.

If you mean curve the ball left/right I don't think you can do that.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline asavitzk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 08:23:43 AM »
I feel like this is an obvious one, but does anyone know how to consistantly do the Power Serve in tennis?  I thought it had something to do with tapping A+B repeatedly while the ball is in the air but I can't get it with any sort of reliable frequency.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 08:27:16 AM »
Spin in tennis is done more by pulling the face of the racket across the ball.  For example, when doing a forehand, as you are swinging, pull the remote in close to your body.  You'll get some side to side english then.

The power serve has everything to do with timing only.  The proper time to make contact with the ball seems to be just BEFORE it reaches the highest point of the toss.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 08:34:41 AM »

The proper time to make contact with the ball seems to be just BEFORE it reaches the highest point of the toss.
I disgaree; I think it's then teh ball is AT the highest point of the toss.  Also, this seems to be much easier to do if you serve with the A button, rather than by lifting the remote.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 08:37:29 AM »
That's possible Vudu.  Maybe my just before comment allows for reaction and motion time.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline godWHYme

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:42:17 AM »
To get a constant power serve it doesn't matter how you serve,  meaning what button you hit or if you raise your arm what does matter is listening for the wii remote sound.  just after the remote stops making the whoop sound when the ball goes up make your motion to hit the ball and it should be a power serve.  I have gotten up to ten in a row, but I am not always consistent as it sometimes a slight delay or early release that makes all the difference.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:03 AM »
All I meant was it's easier for most people to consistently perform a power serve if they use the A button to toss the ball up.

Offline LaredoHK

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 08:00:20 AM »
Listening to the Wii Sports background music, its the same melody as the State Farm Insurance Slogan which is ironic because the slogan has the word "we" in it......

"Wii live where you live, like a good neighbor state farm is there"

Offline LaredoHK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 08:01:46 AM »

Originally posted by: godWHYme
To get a constant power serve it doesn't matter how you serve,  meaning what button you hit or if you raise your arm what does matter is listening for the wii remote sound.  just after the remote stops making the whoop sound when the ball goes up make your motion to hit the ball and it should be a power serve.  I have gotten up to ten in a row, but I am not always consistent as it sometimes a slight delay or early release that makes all the difference.

All you have to do is hit the ball perfectly at its peak toss, which is visual aka prolly easier than a audio queue.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 03:06:09 PM »
I suppose this counts, just found out about it through experiment.  In the Forecast Channel, if you hold A anywhere on the globe (as if to drag), and twist the remote, the world will spin in that direction.