Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320317 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1250 on: February 28, 2015, 03:04:45 PM »
I'll let you know. Also Verizon is getting their Nexus 6 in a couple of weeks, but apparently any other US version already works, just pop your SIM (you would have to trim yours) in and it works. That's very rare for a non VZW-branded phone.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Just to update, my SIM card worked. Got my 4G back. But I still can't tether, so that kinda sux. I'll just mood my phone again when I get home tomorrow night, hopefully all will be good for another year.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 28, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
I've always found the "entitlement check" hack to work, but I think that's only for Motorola phones. PDANet?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 28, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »
Wait?  You have to pay extra to enable tethering over in the States?  As in WiFi tethering?  Or some other feature I'm not aware of?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 28, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
I used FoxFi, but you have to pay for it if you more than like 5 minutes of streaming. And it uses some sort of VPN to tunnel past the entitlement check.

FoxFi is owned by PDAnet, but I couldn't figure out my way around that cost issue.... if ya know what I mean.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 14, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »
I played with a Nexus 6 yesterday and my upgrade is ready in may. My nexus 4 is on its last legs with poor battery life and the charging port is starting to go out so i've been using a wirless charging pad at home.

Now I wonder should I go with the Nexus 6 or instead get one of the mid range moto phones off contract and stick in out another 5-6 months until the nexus line is refreshed.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:55 PM »
Up until the next couple of weeks the Nexus 6 is basically the cream of the crop. But, only for the next couple of weeks.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 15, 2015, 06:04:54 AM »
I ordered a Nexus 6 but i'm going tot he newly-opened Google Store (inside a PC World) in central london later to have a play with it.

I'm kind of concerned that its just too big for me, and the Nexus 5 feels "just right" to use.

Offline DrFunkenstein

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
I've been looking for an indestructible phone lately. I'm the type of person who will have a phone for as long as I can get away with it. Phones to me use to be about calls, messaging and email. But now i need uber as well. If i can find a phone that can withstand my ****, I'd use it for the next 5 years at least.

I almost caved in and bought an S5 Active last year, but i heard it was **** and still likely to break if dropped, so I'd still need a case and if you've seen the phone, it already looks like it has one. Speaking of cases, I'm surprised by Sony. They have probably the best phone for me. I'd still have to get a case, but the Z series (especially the compact) and M aqua series phones are IP58 rated, meaning I can submerge the phone at depths over a meter and beyond for as long as I'd like and still take photos with its 20 mp camera. This is perfect for me since most of my phones have died due to deeper than a meter water.

Still, I am accident prone and I'd hate to break the damn thing, so I looked into other phones and Kyocera brigadier came out on top. It has a sapphire screen. It can withstand being thrown across a room on to a hard floor. It is IP67 rated (dust proof, water resistant). And is military rated to withstand the worst temperatures and vibrations. Pretty much, this thing is a brick. The only problem is it has **** for specs. A terrible camera, processor, and storage capacity. But then again, if it can take decent photos and run uber and the like, I'll be fine.

Does anyone have an opinion of these phones? Have you tried them out? Do you have any other phones to recommend?

P.S. Why uber? I find it a good benchmark. First of all, its an insanely useful app to have when you're drunk and in a strange city. Two, it uses all the features of a phone at once.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:56:54 AM by DrFunkenstein »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
So i accidentally cracked the screen on my GS3 and I'm 3 years overdue on my discounted upgrade.

Was just looking at the GS6 or maybe the One M9.
is there something else I should be looking at?

easily rooted/modded is a plus, because I would really like to get my tether back.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:12:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Keep in mind if you upgrade ad a discounted price you will lose your unlimited data (if you still have it). In fact if you want to keep your plan you will probably have to purchase a phone outright form a 3rd party retailer, just order a Nano SIM cutter when you do, or take your SIM somewhere to get cut because apparently even replacing your SIM now will kill your unlimited plan. I haven't read up on the S6 or M9 as far as rooting is concerned, but based on history and user-friendliness, I would say HTC is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you go with a tiered plan, tethering is included (by law, on any U.S. non-unlimited data plan with any carrier).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:30 AM »
keeping unlimited is a must.

I'll go in the store and check out an M9 and see if it's the phone for me.
Then I will talk with the people on the phone about an upgrade and keeping my plan.

otherwise, plan B is off to eBay or something.

I'm not in a rush though. my phone still works for now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 21, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
Get the Sony Xperia Z1 or Z3 compact. Completely waterproof. Small, but sharp form factor. Works with every cell phone tower imaginable and comes unlocked. Super fast, lasts two days with regular use easily, and has the best camera on the market - which can be used underwater. Also...it's much cheaper than an S6.

You're like me and will keep a phone as long as it works. It's as future-proof as your gonna get and you can make a phone call in the shower.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:04:12 AM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:15 AM »
Have you considered a Nexus 6?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 21, 2015, 02:43:45 AM »

You're like me and will keep a phone as long as it works. It's as future-proof as your gonna get and you can make a phone call in the shower.

I was honestly hoping my S3 would last another 2 years or more.
It was supposed to be the last phone I needed to buy.

I might just have them warranty replace it if they do it for practically free.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
So I am currently employed at Walmart which is, so-so, except I just learned that I can get a discount on that family plan they have with Tmobile, you know the one which is already stupidly cheap and gets you unlimited data (although throttled at 2g after the first GB)...

And, if when I leave Walmart the plan is still a thing then I'll be able to keep that discount because apparently Tmobile will always think I'm working at Walmart, which is hilarious

Excuse me, At&t? Yeah, it's been good, I'm probably going to recommend your gophone plan to anyone looking for cheap PAYG calling and texting, but... I need some data.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 21, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
This *might* be a better deal. GoSmart is actually 100% owned by T-Mobile. My daughter has free service (for life, apparently) because we used to be a dealer. Bear in mind it's "3G" but really it's HSDPA.

https://www.gosmartmobile.com/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:32:48 PM by Brandogg »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:20 PM »
I have 2gb for 45$ plus unlimited data for music apps with t-mobile. I haven't come close to hitting my gb wall.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 22, 2015, 10:29:42 AM »
I replaced my aging Nexus 4 with a Nexus 6 yesterday.  I really love the bigger screen size and the newer hardware features like always listening Google Now the anbient lock screen.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 27, 2015, 01:26:28 AM »
Anyone have experience connecting to xfinitywifi hotspots with an Android phone?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 09, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »
I'm getting a bit worried about Samsung's plans with the SD card.

My plan was to drag the Note 8.0 along for another year and then dump both it and my moto g for next years model of the note but if they don't have an sd card there then I'm not buying.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:25 PM »
So...we were planning on upgrading our phones this summer (we both have Galaxy S2s) but I was awarded a brand new Nexus 6 at work for a job well done. I am blown away at what I can do with this thing! Everything loads fast and no more space issues for my apps! And the screen is HUGE!

Only complaints I have are that there is no removable storage options. But between clouds and the 32gigs in the device I don't see that being much of an issue.

Finally a lot of these apps from Google feel convenient, efficient, and functional versus the sluggish and frustrating performance I had before.

My wife has been eyeing a Galaxy Note 4, but we are open to other options.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »
The note 5 should be out very soon if you can hold out.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 11, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
Dear google: I only set up the account for retail.dalek@Gmal.com as a compliment to my newest parody account @retail_dalek. /shamelessplug. I don't want to put it on your other services.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 21, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »
You would think that transferring data from one SD card to another using multiple android devices (don't have a computer to do it for me) would be easy, and it would be, if they weren't running Kit Kat.

Basically the only thing I can have my phone do is create a .zip backup of my music. Kitkat will not allow me to extract the .zip to an SD card and oh lucky me, both my devices are running at least 4.2

Samsung's built in file manager is supposedly able to bypass these restrictions so I'm going to probably have to transfer the Zip file to the tablet, extract it on the system memory, and then use 'My Files' to move everything to the SD Card.

And if that doesn't work I'll have to dig up my old phone that runs f-ing gingerbread and use that to do all the extraction work.

Great Job there Google.

Thankfully I just found out that the Moto G got updated to 5.1 last month, but I was never aware because apparently they have an app that handles updates that I didn't update, and without that update my phone cannot update.

Hopefully that will move things along.