Author Topic: WWE DOR2 Interview Comments  (Read 5636 times)

Offline edgeblade69

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
WWE DOR2 Interview Comments
« on: August 29, 2005, 06:45:44 PM »
"PGC: The DoR games only allow for four wrestlers on-screen at once, compared to six in the PS2 games. Why couldn't you add the extra two superstars on the GameCube for a game mode like, say, the Royal Rumble, even if they would only be computer controlled?

MO'C: DOR2 really pushed the limits of the GameCube this year, both visually and in terms of game play. Adding two CPU-controlled Superstars was definitely a lower priority then the other key features we put in, as there are only a few match types that would have featured six Superstars anyway. "

Allow me to wade you through the BS, in other words THQ/Yukes is too lazy and too busy being Sony's little ***** to make the GCN games at LEAST comparable to their PS2 counterparts in terms of variety. Sure the gameplay is better and the CAW is better, but what good is that when you're missing 15-20 wrestlers that even LAST YEAR'S Smackdown game had? Not to mention the many more match types Smackdown games have. I have a PS2 as well, but even so this pisses me off to no end. I'm tired of multi-platform developers taking the easy way out and being lazy. Yukes/THQ has always said it's the "disc space that causes to leave out item X..." Gimme a break. Apparently they've never heard of issuing a game on multiple discs or compression. "But we don't want to compress the audio/video as that would lower it's quality." Hmm funny, No Mercy for N64's quality was just fine and it had LESS "space" than a GCN disc does. What a bunch of BS. Why can't they just do their job and not make things "exclusive." Sigh. Guess I'll be buying Smackdown again this year.
Blades will bleed. Shields will shatter, but as the light fades...Will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness reign?
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE:WWE DOR2 Interview Comments
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 07:06:01 PM »
The actual gameplay in the Smackdown series can't hold a candle to DOR, I imagine this will be no different with SvsR2006 and DOR2 respectively. Don't complain. Smackdown is a rental at best.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 08:05:48 PM »
Funny...even though it's obvious that THQ is focusing a lot more on the Smackdown series, I really didn't enjoy playing the game as much as DoR. In fact, it was quite arid. And I'm really interested in this new C-Stick submission system instead of button mashing - now submissions will mean a lot more. You can choose beteween four directions on the C-Stick during the submission - one to give you momentum, one to reduce your injuries, one to injure other player and one to lower other player's momentum. And if the victim guesses the right direction, the hold is broken. All the reviews seem to indicate that it is quite balanced, so I want to see how it plays. And of course the CAW should be as good as the last one, which was exceptional.

Them not including voice acting and less wrestlers because of shortage of disc space is really a lame excuse. They're just lazy (not unusual)..

And the PS2 can handle 6 wrestlers while the GCN can't? OK, then...
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: WWE DOR2 Interview Comments
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:17:06 PM »
Perhaps the wrestlers in DoR are much more detailled than the ones on the PS2?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:25:34 AM »
Well before Yukes was just lazy and figured 4 controller ports = 4 players. This year they say the graphics would have had to take a hit, which is probably true because it's a damned good looking game.

Offline Doerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 10:25:10 AM »
well not really a excuse when Royal rumble for Deamcast and arcade had 9 in ring at once.

Offline edgeblade69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 11:28:26 AM »
But PS2 only has 2 controller ports, well unless you shell out $20-30 for a multiplayer adapter.
Blades will bleed. Shields will shatter, but as the light fades...Will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness reign?
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »
Royal Rumble also only had 2 match types (which is fair because it's an arcade game), 16 wrestlers, and PSOne-quality graphics. The game was fun as hell though...I still have it.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 05:35:24 PM »
Hey guys, I have a question for those of you who have played Day of Reckoning, the first one. I'm a HUGE fan of Wrestlemania 2000, but not really a big fan of many of the other ones. Do you think I'll like DoR?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 06:33:07 PM »
It's actually a pretty decent game. I got it NEW only 2 months after it was released for $29.99 CDN !! (I love you Superstore) and I don't regret it one bit. The story mode allows you only to put through a wrestler that you created, not an existing Superstar, but the CAW mode is extremely deep, so it's fine. And the story itself is a rags to riches one - with some twists, and it's solid. The moveset is just brilliant; I really liked the depth. And the graphics are nothing to laugh at. The roster lineup isn't that great, but it holds up.

The gameplay itself IMO is way better than SvR. It revolves around a light/heavy grapple system (heavy grapple if you hold A button more). Reversals are intuitive. One annoyance  is the button mashing when you're down or trying to get out of a submission. That's quite annoying, but they've changed that for submissions in the new one, so we'll see.

Also, some specials are nearly impossible to pull off during actual gameplay. For example, if you want to do the 619, you have to keep the opponent right next to the ropes for at least 5 seconds (very hard), then do a springboard special, which in itself is pretty damn hard to do - it involves moving the control stick back to the centre of the ring and pressing A&B while performing the springboard. Luckily that only affects some moves. But to counter this, you can actually go into Rey Mysterio's profile and change his moveset to satisfy you if you want, but you can't change his stats obviously.

All technicalities aside, the game is fun. You'll outgrow the AI not too fast but after a while, then you go on to multiplayer. If you have friends that are on the same skill level as you, and they use their own wrestlers with their moves and stats, it's a blast, and it's balanced too. Whether you're playing 4-player HIAC, or 2-player Ironman, it's fun. No wins out of nowhere etc. So, yea, if you can get it for a good bargain and have friends who are willing to play, go for it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 08:42:43 PM »
If you LOVE No Mercy/WM 2000, then you'll at least LIKE DOR2. It's the closest thing to an AKI-based WM2000/NM game you're going to see in this console generation.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 09:16:11 AM »
The used game store near my house has DoR for $25, that's why I was asking. Based on what you said, I think I'll pick it up.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 06:29:59 PM »
Don't kill me if you hate it, but honestly it's the closest thing gameplay wise.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »
Wonder when the PGC review will come out?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 08:41:15 AM »
Who knows...the interview was posted after IGN and 1UP had already reviewed it...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »
This is insanely off topic, but...

I recently bought DoR (original).

Now, can ANYONE tell me HOW THE F*@& TO CLIMB UP THE CAGE? The booklet says "control stick in the direction of the cage+Y". All my idiot wrestler does if I do that is bounce of the ropes.

Help, before I tear my Gamecube into a million pieces please.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 09:18:07 PM »
Perhaps you need to hold Y down?

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 01:14:13 PM »
Haha - KDR is right. You just hold it down and point towards the cage. Don't let go until you're on top. If you do and then you press Y again, you will throw yourself backwards off the cage.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2005, 06:44:41 PM »
Are you trying to climb the Hell in a Cell or the Steel Cage? To climb the Steel Cage, you press the direction of the cage and Y, while standing right next to the wall, then when you start to climb, press A repeatedly. To climb the Cell, just stand next (outside) and press Y+the direction of the cell, then you just hold that same direction till you're up.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 02:40:55 PM »
Yeah, I figured that out a little while after I posted that.

THQ has no idea how much THEIR idiotic mistake in the manual (it says to TAP the Y button) caused me to get pissed off.

Anyway...

I wish The Hurricane was in DoR 1. Perhaps I'll get number two after the Rev comes out, and GCN game prices drop.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »
DOR2 is harder. There's a fatal 4-way cage match (vs Christian, Kane, and HBK) and a triple threat cage match (vs Big Show and RVD) in story mode. Talk about frustrating.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 08:50:39 AM »
HARDER?

DoR 1 is the first game that's ever made me strike my Gamecube out of rage. I can't even IMAGINE me playing DoR 2.

I mean, right now I'm in a fatal four way with me, Cena, Undertaker, and Big Show. How could it get harder?
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 06:32:45 PM »
Put it all inside a Steel Cage, silly.

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 09:42:38 PM »
The only hard match in DOR2 is the fatal 4 way at Summerslam. Everything else is a breeze to me. The Wrestlemania finale is a cakewalk compared to DOR1's story finale. Really, once you learn to manage your stamina, it's gravy.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 06:24:43 PM »
lol, DOR1...good times those were, good times.

I lol that any of you gave this game a chance...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42