Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 675025 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
That's the shot you take when you have a tie game and you get the last shot of regulation. Arguing about shot selection IN THIS INSTANCE is so dumb because THIS IS WHAT DAME DOES. It's crazy y'all out here arguing that Dame will drive past PG (a DPOY candidate) and somehow have a higher percentage shot than the shot he took.

It's a bad shot if PG takes it. It's a bad shot if Russell takes it. It's a bad shot when everyone in Portland except Dame takes it. But it was Dame who took the shot.
That’s how I viewed it. There are like three players in the NBA where I’d think, “Yeah, that’s about right,” after taking that shot even if he missed, and Damian Lillard is two of those guys.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Not sure why you sound so sore about it.

Nobody is defending Westbrook's shot selection, so I don't know why you feel that's relevant.
I've admitted that George didn't put enough pressure on, although he did close and get a hand-up, forcing a tough side-step attempt from beyond 35 feet.
We all know Lillard is a cold-hearted killer on the court.
These are all facts.

But Lillard could have gotten a higher percentage look and there was no effective difference between a three and a free throw in determining who wins the game. The numbers you quoted are wrong (not sure if it's the shots taken/hit or the percentage - but one of them MUST be wrong) and in either case they are sub-40% looks at best. It's that easy. Side-step threes from beyond 35 feet to get clear of George's block attempt can go down, but aren't the best shots and aren't amazingly consistent.

Results look good because Lillard is an amazing player. Process (and your conclusion) is flawed.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Man, who could have called the Spurs & Nuggets for the most interesting series of the 1st round?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Nuggets vs Spurs, with Warriors vs Clippers close behind... wow!
The East wasn't going to compete - everyone knows there are only 4 big (maybe) teams out there, but I think a lot of people expected Nuggets and Warriors to roll.
The big question to me is which series will be most exciting in round 2. There are some questions about playoff readiness, and it's had to know if some of those series will be very close all the way or if teams will disappoint and fold early. *coughRaptorsSixerscough*

"If anything, it was bad defense..." --Lillard
He's not wrong here. Sometimes a great shooter simply takes what he's given, and there wasn't nearly enough pressure even if George did close the gap just before the shot.

(I'm not backing down from my take that Lillard could have created a higher percentage look, but the defense was far too lax for a season-ending shot.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:09:42 AM by ejamer »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Huh the Warriors changed their starting lineup and got a win on the back of Durant scoring 50 and better defense. Clippers made it interesting though.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
They were trying to play the "we'll just outscore them" game. Clippers won that in game 5.
Gotta play defense. We really stepped it up today on the defensive end.

I hope this level of motivation continues on Sunday, and the rest of the playoffs for the dubs.

and they better, because the Rockets flew into town tonight to practice at Oracle while the Dubs were down in LA.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:54:23 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Lets see the first round... Warriors in 5, Rockets in 6, Thunder in 6, Nuggets in 5.  Bucks in 4, Celtics in 5, 76ers in 6, Raptors in 4.

Lets see how I did... Warriors in 6, Rockets in 5, Portland in 5, Nuggets in 7,  Bucks in 4, Celtics in 4, 76ers in 5, Raptors in 5.
I got most of them right for the winners but I got a few correct in the number of games.
Round 2 currently I say Warriors in 7, Denver in 6, Bucks win in 6, Raptors win in 7.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:08:23 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
* Shaymin mutters something about the Toronto sports black swan being the Raptors winning a game 1
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Looks like it will be the Nuggets moving on to play the Trail Blazers in Round 2. Pity. As much as I want success for Paul Millsap as a former Jazzman, it would be nice to see an actual upset in these playoffs.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Bit of a funny recap of the first round.

For BnM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75PVEFu25o
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
* Shaymin mutters something about the Toronto sports black swan being the Raptors winning a game 1

Drake was spotted wearing the Sixers jersey though....
that may play in Toronto's favor.

I just saw the ending to that Nuggets Spurs game 7.... smfh
I think Pops gonna retire. I think the players on the court just wanted to go home.

Down 5, 26 second left in regulation of game 7 on the road.
.....and you don't foul.
Pops is on the court screaming at them to foul. The few Spurs fans in attendance and everyone at home had to be yelling "foul him!!". Yet they let the clock run down.... get the rebound, and then don't even bother to get a shot off at the end.

I didn't watch more than 5 minutes of this 7 game series, but it looks like either team would've gotten routed by any other team in the playoffs.... East or West.
If only the Dubs had taken the 2nd seed. LOL. Easy 1st round sweep.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:54:59 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Help me out, Warriors fans.

I didn't understand the reffing of Warriors v. Rockets, where three point shooters clearly weren't given space to land. I'm not a fan of watching Harden bait for fouls, but this game showed a consistent change from how calls have been made for the past couple of years and clearly in favor of one side. Were shooters pushing their feet forward too far, because it didn't look that way.

Seems like a gift for the Warriors after a tougher-than-expected series against the Clippers.
Curious to see what the last two minute report states.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Help me out, Warriors fans.

I didn't understand the reffing of Warriors v. Rockets, where three point shooters clearly weren't given space to land. I'm not a fan of watching Harden bait for fouls, but this game showed a consistent change from how calls have been made for the past couple of years and clearly in favor of one side. Were shooters pushing their feet forward too far, because it didn't look that way.

Seems like a gift for the Warriors after a tougher-than-expected series against the Clippers.
Curious to see what the last two minute report states.

The game is being officiated like this because the Rockets' opponents are the Warriors. Harden was certainly getting those calls before this series, for better or worse. ticky-tack fouls where the shooter draws contact are his entire game.

The League wants Boston or Golden State to be the NBA Champion, and that's how these playoffs are going to be officiated.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
That **** happens to Curry ALL THE TIME.
Now while it was clear Klay committed this 3 times in garden, what they didn't replay ad nauseum was how often it happens to Curry, Klay and Durant, yet they're is never a call.

I'm glad CP13 got called for the 3pt flop where he stuck out his hip and then curled into fetal position in mid air looking for the foul. Ref wasn't having none of that ****... not from him. not today.

Other times the shooter is kicking out the feet to make contact. And I'll admit again, Klay clearly crowded Harden on 3 of those shots. But they didn't call them on both sides. What you didn't see was then calling out the Rockets for how often it happened to the Warriors or repeatedly showing replays of this happening to the Warriors too.

But just look at who was announcing, and you can see why there was a clear bias to the commentating.

edit: This is also the Playoffs, so all that regular season wolf tickets being sold for Harden and CP3 foul hunting calls ain't gonna get as much play in the post season.
But if they ain't gonna call it one way, then don't call it the other way either.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:13:59 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Watching Harden freak out because he's not getting foul calls fills my heart with joy.

Dude literally threw his feet beyond the 3 point line into Draymond on the play where Paul got tossed. It's like he completely forgot the refs were overcompensating for screwing up in the first half and were grinding the game to a halt even as Durant was destroying them. Great job by Paul taking himself out of games and getting dumb techs as if the spirit of Draymond has invaded him.

I love how the narrative is "the NBA wants a Boston/Golden State Finals" and not "Houston built a 50+ win team on the back of two people who are constantly exploiting ticky-tack foul calls and it's come back to haunt them".

Anyway, I can't wait for game 2 where even the slightest bit of contact will be called and at least 3 superstars will foul out. Because that's how NBA playoff games should be decided.

EDIT: Also the worst part of the game wasn't the officiating. It was hearing Marc Jackson and JVG complain about the officiating.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:01:23 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
But if they ain't gonna call it one way, then don't call it the other way either.

Full disclosure, didn't watch the full game as I was doing a lot of of stuff with my family at the same time.
However, I did see at least one instance where Houston got away with a similar foul on three point shooters.

I don't really buy into the "league agenda" narrative, despite being a Toronto fan. (Does any team feel as consistently put upon as the Raptors? They built a whole identity on being outsiders.)  However, I found the officiating in this game pretty terrible overall and a huge shift from what has been considered normal.  If reports are true that refs admitted to Houston that they missed 4 calls at the half, it only makes the whole thing stranger.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Watching Harden freak out because he's not getting foul calls fills my heart with joy.
But, Soren, Harden just wants a fair chance from the refs.
I mean, I just want a fair chance, man. Call the game how it's supposed to be called, and that's it. And I'll live with the results.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Maybe it's because I only caught the replays, but it looked like there were some obvious fouls not being called.  Sure, there was the time when Harden seemed to extend his legs pretty far, but the others looked like pretty clear fouls.

The tech on Draymond was pretty stupid. Did he just curse at a ref? Was that it?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
But, Soren, Harden just wants a fair chance from the refs.
I mean, I just want a fair chance, man. Call the game how it's supposed to be called, and that's it. And I'll live with the results.

"I can't believe the refs aren't giving me the benefit of the doubt after I've spent the last few years tricking them into giving me favorable calls."

Yes, the game was an officiating nightmare. That doesn't mean I have to feel bad for Harden. And I would say this even if I wasn't a fan of the Warriors, who by the way look intent on blowing their last shot at an easy championship.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I was just joking. Harden, of all people, complaining about officiating is absurd.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
reap what you sow.

All the NBA talk shows are talking about the officiating non-calls.
lots of them all agree the first 3 by Klay were fouls, but the majority of the ones after that were exaggerated to get Ref attention, a under closer review may have been good non-calls.

NOt that I watched that many this morning, saw some clips on youtube, but
Some talked about how that's how Harden and CP3 get through the regular season, foul hunting

so most have no sympathy for the exaggerations. but do caution against another "Kahwi Zaza" situation going towards either team.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26634745/rockets-audited-18-game-7-say-finals-bid-taken

Houston publicly humiliating themselves now and I could not be more for it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Holy ****..... I knew Steph hurt his finger in the game on Tuesday, but I had no idea it was a dislocation :/

that looks bad. I've never see a dislocation like this one.

Good thing it was on his non shooting hand. And that still didn't stop him from reaching and swiping all game. LOL
He gotta find a way to stay out of foul trouble. We need him on the court.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I regret clicking into this thread and viewing that picture of Curry’s finger.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Just remember all that bitching by the Rockets in game 1 about dangerous non calls? Calling it fair? Living with the results?

This was also Rockets in game 1:
https://mobile.twitter.com/warriorsworld/status/1122652755292672001/photo/1

This is why you don't take the bait from the boy who cried wolf.
This shot happens to Curry so often, he already adapted to landing limp to avoid injury.