Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674358 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Man, if I'm Mark Cuban, I'm never talking to Demarcus Cousins again. One year, $5m with the Warriors.
Edit: Wrong Cousins. Welp, it's official: when the Warriors threepeat, you can blame it on the Boogie.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:43:36 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Cancel the season. Nothing to see here.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
LOL
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Soren

• View Profile
BTW this makes perfect sense for Boogie. He gets to rehab his achilles in a low-pressure environment and remove his bad teammate tag as well. Still, it's an intense dick move to sign below market value.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
He likely wanted the one year, knowing that the injury would hurt his value over a 4 or 5-year contract.  The below market price is likely due to the Warriors basically offering a free ring.

In other news, RIP Pelicans. :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Pelicans got Julius Randle, who was arguably the Lakers best player, on a below market value contract.

I kind of hate seeing players take less money. The owners make billions so I never feel bad for them from a financial standpoint. As far as DeMarcus Cousins, he probably took less money to hopefully win a ring while he rehabs and reminds the league how good he is. Many teams will have cap space next year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Is this news considered "the rich getting richer"!?
LOL

5 All-Stars next season?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:32:26 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Pelicans got Julius Randle, who was arguably the Lakers best player, on a below market value contract.

Best player on a trash team is still kinda meh for losing Cousins and Rondo.  But I guess we also got Elfrid Payton?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

Best player on a trash team is still kinda meh for losing Cousins and Rondo.  But I guess we also got Elfrid Payton?

Elfrid finally cute that hair hat right? He might be decent when he can stop blocking his own view of the rim.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Best player on a trash team is still kinda meh for losing Cousins and Rondo.
I’d at least look up Randle highlights before passing judgement. He was a beast last season. I’m disappointed the Lakers let Randle walk for nothing. They could have at least gotten a first round pick or something. Jebus...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I can't believe Lebron went to the Lakers. Can they deliver a ring better than anyone else? I guess he's all about that money.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Yes? The Lakers have won the most titles in the last what, 40 years. The Celtics won most of their championships when Bill Russell was just taller than everyone else. Regardless, I don’t think that’s why LeBron James signed. It’s better for his brand, and his family likes living in Los Angeles. The Lakers have a ton of flexibility with cap space and good, young players so they can improve relatively quickly with an all-star already there. Kawhi Leonard is currently trying to force his way specifically to the Lakers so the plan is working so far. Next summer, Luol Deng will be entering the last year of his contract which becomes an asset because there will always be a team that will trade for an expiring deal. The Lakers were never going to win this year even if they signed Paul George and/or traded for Kawhi Leonard. They’re in a good position movng forward.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:06:26 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I did some reading and I think I'm all caught up on the Cuz in the Bay situation.

Pelicans floated a figure, but it wasn't the Max Contract that Boogie wanted.
He figured they were playing hard ball because of his injury. Boogie hoped to entertain other offers, but none came... Pels never made a formal offer as they felt he might not like that 3/30M offer instead of the 3/80M Max contract (made up numbers on my part to demonstrate point) so DMC said  "**** It" if no one wants to play ball because of his injury and pay him what he proved he was worth over this season, the he might as well go to the 1 place that would put him on display (and get him a ring).
He had his agent contact The Warriors.
The Warriors got Durant to take another minor discount, and they used that left over money to sign DMC to a 1year "rehab and prove yourself" contract. It was a "I'll take a HUGE paycut just to say **** YOU to the rest of the league" deal.

Warriors said he might not touch the floor till Jan/Feb
Demarcus says he's hoping to make opening night.
But on the Dubs, he has the luxury of not needing to rush back

So the Warriors happen to luck into another big player signing. Hopefully it pays dividends to DMC and the Dubs. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see all 5 players make the All-Star Game.

Good news is that Cousins is supposedly running on the treadmill, and thinks he's further along than what's being reported.
But he doesn't need to push too hard, because word is that Damion Jones is doing great on the Warriors Summer League team, and Jordan Bell is still improving as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Zach Lowe has a good piece on ESPN: Is DeMarcus Cousins a good fit in Golden State?

He raises concerns that the Warriors likely won’t be able to re-sign Cousins especially if he plays well, and he was a liability on defense even before his injury. Since Cousins likely won’t play the whole season, the Warriors are paying him to basically get into game shape for the few months then be ready for the playoffs. Sounds good to me. Even with the injury, I expected him to get a max offer. The Warriors get him for the taxpayer mid-level exception. I’d rather have DeMarcus Cousins than not have DeMarcus Cousins.

He gets a lot of flak for his temper on the court. Dude played most of his career with the Kings, arguably the worst run team in the league. I’d be angry all the time too. Off the court, besides a bar fight, he really gets involved with the community. He holds basketball camps. I vaguely recall reading Cousins once donated a bunch of money anonymously or at least very quietly, but the charity chairman outed him because they thought he deserved the credit. He may come off as a petulant child on the court, but put him in a better situation (like the Warriors) and he’ll probably be in a sounder mindspace. Good for him, and good for the Warriors.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I am in the camp of this not being a very good move for the league. With Boogie signed to the Warriors it essentially makes the Warriors pretty much unbeatable at every position with Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green and Cousins their likely starting line up is going to be harder to beat than last year where aside from the Rockets really didn't have much problem in the playoffs.  With Lebron coming to the Lakers the east is going to be not really a series with most teams in the west.  Most likely a west team is going to have to take out the Warriors and that is going to be harder then it was last year where they swept the Cavs in the finals. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
According to Marc Stein the Lakers could have signed Boogie to virtually the same deal he got from the Warriors.

They passed.

https://deadspin.com/oh-come-on-the-lakers-passed-on-demarcus-cousins-1827332178

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I saw that earlier and I am going to say it makes sense to pass on Boogie for that short term of a deal considering the injury.   Near the tail end of Kobe's career he had the same injury and he really didn't recover from it and wasn't 100% even after a year. Lakers do have Brook Lopez that they can resign still so as long as the Lakers get him or someone else under contract as a center then the sting should be lessened.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
As to Kawai Leonard and the Spurs, the Spurs are asking from the lakers essentially their entire young core of Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Kyle Kuzma, 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks.   This is essentially the Carmelo Anthony trade from the Nuggets to the Knicks several years ago.  Doesn't make much sense to gut the team when you can get Leonard next season in free agency.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I was listening to the radio this morning, and they announced that Curry and Green got signed by the Trailblazer. I kinda panicked for a moment, and then realized they meant Seth Curry, and one of 3 other Greens from some other team that no one really cares about.

Then I realized that The Lakers should have signed both of them so that Lebron could finally play with Curry and Green, then bring over Tristan so he also gets a Thompson.

and on an unrelated note regarding DMC, you know especially in the case that Cousins come back as a killer, it's better to play with him, than play against him for a year than against him.

I also find it absolutely hilarious how many interneters have RAGE QUIT the NBA over an achilles injured Cousins signing with The Warriors, who may not even play till Feb 2019, and might not even be that good when he get back on the court. (all big if's might's and may's, but still). And all of this on the same week that Lebron James not only left the the East but joined The Lakers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I saw that earlier and I am going to say it makes sense to pass on Boogie for that short term of a deal considering the injury.   Near the tail end of Kobe's career he had the same injury and he really didn't recover from it and wasn't 100% even after a year. Lakers do have Brook Lopez that they can resign still so as long as the Lakers get him or someone else under contract as a center then the sting should be lessened.

I think it makes sense for the Lakers to pass on him too, even at an MLE.
They are hoping to make the Playoffs.... (Conference) Finals this year. They need that slot filled from beginning of the season till the end of the season.
Warriors could afford to take the risk, because they don't actually need him, at least not right away.
They have Jordan Bell, Damion Jones as young centers. Draymond a the SB Center. Did Zaza and Javale both get released? What about West? Did he retire? and then you have Boogie whenever he's good to go. and that doesn't even account for whatever other vet comes over for the minimum 1-2 year contract

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.

I think it makes sense for the Lakers to pass on him too, even at an MLE.
They are hoping to make the Playoffs.... (Conference) Finals this year. They need that slot filled from beginning of the season till the end of the season.
Warriors could afford to take the risk, because they don't actually need him, at least not right away.
They have Jordan Bell, Damion Jones as young centers. Draymond a the SB Center. Did Zaza and Javale both get released? What about West? Did he retire? and then you have Boogie whenever he's good to go. and that doesn't even account for whatever other vet comes over for the minimum 1-2 year contract

Looks like no one has signed West yet and he is a unrestricted free agent, Zaza is in the same boat as West unsigned and unrestricted. I do know that JaVale got sent to the Lakers.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Regarding Marc Stein’s report, my only guess is that the Lakers didn’t sign DeMarcus Cousins because they want that salary for trade deadline moves. Without a trade, the Lakers are not contending this year. If any of Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Lance Stephenson, or Rajon Rondo play well this year especially with the LeBron Bump ®, they may be flipped to a contender for a pick which can then be attached to Luol Deng next summer. Trading Deng without taking salary back would give the Lakers around $41 million in cap space next summer. They can’t do any of that with Cousins not playing. And they may want to sign him long-term later so they can’t disrespect him by using him as trade bait. Right now, it’s all about keeping their cap space open to put the pressure on the Spurs who are hilariously asking for Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, two first round picks, and two swaps in a Kawhi Leonard trade.

I don’t understand why people are freaking out about Cousins to the Warriors. First, the Warriors likely can’t re-sign him. The most they can offer next summer unless they lose both Durant and Thompson is the same mid-level exception multiplied by 1.25. Cousins took a discount since he was coming off a devastating injury. Second, he won’t be good next year; he’ll be fine. The Warriors are so good that they don’t need him to be All-Star Cousins. You take talent when you can get it. However, I feel like JaVale McGee was a better fit. He’s an energy guy who hustles on defense and can usually make easy buckets when defenses collapse on literally anyone else. Cousins isn’t that guy. When healthy, he’s an elite offensive player. The Warriors don’t need more offense. Their defense relies on switching. Cousins, especially working his way back from injury, is a highly exploitable weak link on defense. That won’t be a problem against most teams. It will be against James Harden and Chris Paul.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:41:38 PM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I think the main reason there is the uproar over Cousins going to the Warriors is that it is setting a precident for the future with things going forward. What I mean is Cousins is a in their prime all-star and he took a pay cut essentially to get a ring most likely.  I mean this whole thing kinda started with LeBron when he went to Miami with Bosh and Wade. An all-star in Wade and Bosh and a top 5 player of all time in LeBron. Then Durant lost to the Warriors when he was on the Thunder and then the next season joined the Warriors and there was that backlash of joining a stacked team that were the NBA champions. Then this off season Boogie joined the warriors for a MLE after losing to the Warriors in the second round with Anthony Davis who pretty much brought the Pelicans to the 6th seed while Cousins was recovering.   

So yeah it is pretty multi tiered why people are upset at Cousins joining the Warriors. TLDR: Left to go to the stacked world champ, Left Anthony Davis hanging after during the season they were really clicking together before Boogie got injured and pretty much signing to the champs to get a ring most likely.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I understand the knee jerk reaction to hearing another all-star joining the Warriors. However, this doesn’t push the needle much for an already great team. I’ve already explained why this both helps and hurts the Warriors so I don’t want to go over that again. The most important bit is that he’s a one year rental. The Warriors don’t have the cap space to re-sign him long-term for the money he wants. The only reason Cousins had his agent call the Warriors is because no one else wanted him coming off an injury. He wanted a max offer from The Pelicans. They offered him $40 million for two years with a second year team option. He refused. He has wanted to join the Lakers for years. They refused (for now) because they want Kawhi Leonard.

Cousins is betting on himself to get back to somewhere close to his old form. Joining a team that doesn’t really need him to win games allows him to come back at his own pace. If he proves that he can play at a high level in the playoffs, he gets to re-enter the free agent market next summer when more teams have cap space.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I understand the knee jerk reaction to hearing another all-star joining the Warriors. However, this doesn’t push the needle much for an already great team. I’ve already explained why this both helps and hurts the Warriors so I don’t want to go over that again. The most important bit is that he’s a one year rental. The Warriors don’t have the cap space to re-sign him long-term for the money he wants. The only reason Cousins had his agent call the Warriors is because no one else wanted him coming off an injury. He wanted a max offer from The Pelicans. They offered him $40 million for two years with a second year team option. He refused. He has wanted to join the Lakers for years. They refused (for now) because they want Kawhi Leonard.

Cousins is betting on himself to get back to somewhere close to his old form. Joining a team that doesn’t really need him to win games allows him to come back at his own pace. If he proves that he can play at a high level in the playoffs, he gets to re-enter the free agent market next summer when more teams have cap space.
I agree with you on all that.  I am just saying for this season that he is on the Warriors it is going to be pretty much a lock for the warriors to win again. Out east currently I would say the Celtics, 76ers and the Raptors are looking like are coming out of the East as the Finals representitive most likely now that LeBron is out of the East but it is likely none of those can compete with the Warriors. 

We shall see what happens with free agency, trades and the like and see what happens from here. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss