Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Backlaugust 2022: Round 3 so we can break our backlogs and be free.

<< < (4/20) > >>

Khushrenada:
When I said it's in the trash for those two games, I was referring to the GC Mega Man and Mega Man X collections since they were incomplete. That's the joke.

Alright. Mark one on the board. Picross e8 is complete. All puzzles finished. I had about 40 puzzles left in that one but no more. All Picross e puzzles for 3DS are now done as I get closer to completing all the games I've downloaded onto my 3DS.

Made excellent progress with Shantae: Risky's Revenge today. Finished today with the path to the final boss now open. Should be able to wrap that up tomorrow. Played some of Elli today. Don't know how close or far I am to the end but if I finish Shantae tomorrow and then keep progressing some more in Elli I think I could have that done for Wednesday. Also cleared the first two worlds of BoxBoy + BoxGirl. See how that goes with trying to do a chunk of it here and there.

But now it's time for some Better Call Saul so that's it for gaming today.

M.K.Ultra:
I helped Lord Kirby tie up Yin Yarn as I finished a 100% run of Kirby's Epic Yarn yesterday on Wii. Total play time was just under 17 hours, very close to the 17.5 average that is listed for 100% runs on HowLongtoBeat.com. I thought the amount of content was just right and enjoyed most of the bonus challenges. It was neat to see the nascent version of the art style from Yoshi's Wooly World as well. I have mixed feelings about the Sonic-esque mechanic of beads that disperse when you get hit and need to recollect. I also expected a twist in the story, like King Fluff turning out to be the real evil boss, but that never happened. Still a solid 8/10 game with some good use of the Wii remote.

Mop it up:
Mega Man X
Way back when I was younger, I did play Mega Man X on the actual Super Nintendo, but I never finished it. I later sold the cartridge when I bought the PS2 Mega Man X collection, which I proceeded to not play and it wasn't all that long after that the X Legacy collection was announced. Oops! I don't recall liking the game very much but it's been so long, I figured I could give it another shot and see if I can better appreciate it now that I'm older and wiser. And I've gotta say...

...I still find it kinda meh! It's got the usual Mega Man staple of good presentation and a variety of stages, and I like that it features robotic animals to differentiate itself from the original series. When it comes to action games like this, I tend to prefer something more straight-forward and less complex, so for example things like having to replay stages to find upgrades is more of a boring slog than anything. After I completed the eight stages I just used a password to acquire all the items and skip over that nonsense. I've also never particularly cared for challenging games although this one seems harder than the original series for the wrong reasons. It also still has the NES problem of enemies instantly respawning if their start point barely scrolls off screen; I thought this was the Super Nintendo what even is this?!

It doesn't help that the Legacy Collection doesn't have save states or rewind for some odd reason; these are almost a necessity to overcome some of the archaic design decisions of these old games. It's certainly got me worried about how the rest of this series is going to go! But who knows, if the fans thought the later games went downhill from here then maybe I'll think the opposite since this first game missed the mark for me.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Mop it up on August 02, 2022, 12:30:14 PM ---Mega Man X
It's certainly got me worried about how the rest of this series is going to go! But who knows, if the fans thought the later games went downhill from here then maybe I'll think the opposite since this first game missed the mark for me.

--- End quote ---

One word of advice when playing the X games is to go into options menu and set the Dash ability to the L or R button.  This is what the later Zero series did for movement, and makes the games so much more fun to control.  Makes fighting enemies and bosses easier since it's much easier to jump and shot while dashing this way.  Makes Dash jumping off the walls a night and day difference as well.

Seriously, this is the way most hardcore X fans will recommend to play since the default Dash options of double tap or A are not the most ideal in the harder parts of these games.

Khushrenada:
Shantae: Risky's Revenge is now beat. It turns out this game has 4 different ending pictures much like Metroid depending on how fast you finish and collect everything. I beat the game twice tonight to see two of the pictures though there doesn't seem to be a gallery for them. Normally, I might try and replay the game to get the other two pictures from a faster time but this is Backlaugust and there's no time for replays! It's on to the next title.

Made some more progress in Elli. How far am I from the end? *shoulder shrug* There's not much information online about the game so I don't know how much further and longer it might take. Another couple worlds done in BoxBoy + BoxGirl to keep that game moving along.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version