Author Topic: Star Fox Zero Gyro Controls Will Be Optional  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Star Fox Zero Gyro Controls Will Be Optional
« on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »

A tweet from NCL provides additional control options for the big Wii U title.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40513/star-fox-zero-gyro-controls-will-be-optional

Word about Star Fox Zero's control options may have come down from the president of Nintendo himself.

Satoru Iwata has been tweeting from the account of Nintendo Company Ltd this week in Japanese. One of his tweets is listed below:

The tweet confirms that the same options will be in Star Fox Zero as in Splatoon, meaning the motion control can be disabled. It also mentions that the motion control is designed to give a sense of being connected to the Arwing in motion. The current E3 demo only has the motion, but the final version will have the choice.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Star Fox Zero Gyro Controls Will Be Optional
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
This is the correct way to implement motion controls. It's there only if you want it. Good job, Nintendo.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
(Of course, I mean as long as the game isn't built around motion controls like Wii Sports or Skyward Sword.)

Offline jglonek

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Excellent. This makes me feel much better about the game.

Well, besides the fact that if they weren't doing the separate cockpit view they could increase the graphics a bit. buuuut

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
And instantly I'm interested in the game again.  Funny how that works.

Ironically if Nintendo hadn't shoehorned motion control into all sorts of waggle-**** last gen maybe I wouldn't have complete soured on the concept.  I'm of the mind that if an idea is worth a damn the it need not be forced.  When Nintendo would not offer the option for conventional controls in situations were it was clear that they could that just suggested to me that they were not confident enough in the idea to trust that we would choose to use it if we didn't have to.  And if they don't have confidence that the idea will look good in a direct comparison then I don't have confidence in it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
(Of course, I mean as long as the game isn't built around motion controls like Wii Sports or Skyward Sword.)
Even Skyward Sword forced it in a lot of areas where they weren't necessary *cough*flying*cough*

Course that would be easier to forgive if Skyward Sword was a good game but that's beside the point.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Ironically if Nintendo hadn't shoehorned motion control into all sorts of waggle-**** last gen maybe I wouldn't have complete soured on the concept.

Please do not equate gyro aiming with Wii remote waggling.  Gyro controls allow for precise, intuitive aiming for people like me who have never been able to adapt to dual stick controls. Waggling was motion control that made no difference to gameplay, gyro controls are the opposite of that.  I'm sure we can both agree that having options for all types of players is a good thing though!
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
Excellent!  ;D

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
@Ian Sane, actually now I see your point was slightly different that I thought at first.  You weren't equating them but saying that all the horrible waggle controls soured you on motion control in general. Mea culpa!

My point still stands for anyone who thinks all motion controls are created equal though!
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
I miss IR aiming...