Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 760233 times)

Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1575 on: March 17, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
Its just odd to pick the FS as the main one to me I guess.

See, you're confused again.  It's not my "main" one.  I already own Widescreen on DVD and again on Blu in the Terminator Anthology.  Which I already mentioned in this thread you've replied to.

That assumes I actually read the post, all I read was the title and skimmed the replies. But then we are on the same page in owning both versions.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 17, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
So I bought some games recently:
* The Lost Vikings (GBA)
* Final Fantasy VI (GBA)

The first is a game I've played very little of, but enjoyed what I've seen greatly.  The second is one of my top 5 games ever and one of a few that I deeply regret selling. Got a great price on Lost Vikings, overpaid (in my mind) somewhat for FF6... but the "going rate" for legit copies of that game is a little bit ridiculous so still did ok.

What does this have to do with video transfer and aspect ratios? Quit trying to derail this thread and either post it in a more appropriate place or create a thread about your latest purchases.

Yeesh. New posters around here never know the rules.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 17, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »
That assumes I actually read the post, all I read was the title and skimmed the replies. But then we are on the same page in owning both versions.

Okay.  I will stop assuming you've actually read the posts you reply too.  Should save us both some time. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »
Back to an actual gaming item...

Gr.

So, I have the second and third printings of Prima's Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess guide in hardcover.  I wanted the first edition, and after looking around, I found all kinds of contradicting and confusing information on it.  Thus, I contacted Prima directly for whatever information they could give me regarding the first printing to help me locate a copy.  Their e-mail included the ISBN and additional information for identifying a first edition.

Looking around, I decided to buy a copy from a seller on Alibris.

http://www.alibris.com/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-Stephen-Stratton/book/9968240?matches=11

The first seller, which still has the item listed, had a good price, so I placed an order, from this page, clicking the "Add to Cart" button.

On the 3rd, I received an email that the item had shipped.

Two days ago, still having not received the item, I contacted the seller to find out where the item was.

The seller explained that the copy he had was damaged, so he had to re-order it, but for the inconvenience, he was going to upgrade the shipping and throw in a "golden" bookmark.

Red Flag.  The "Golden" bookmark, I presume, is the one that comes with the big box set.  That I already own.  So, I asked to verify that he was shipping the 2006 edition.

He's not.  He's shipping the 2013 edition (i.e.: a copy stripped from the box set).  And, apparently, if you click to the left of the "Add to Cart" button, it will expand with information from the seller - and even though the ISBN is listed for the 2006 edition, his individual description states that it's the 2013 edition (oddly, it also states that it is factory sealed, and the individual copies inside of the box set are not sealed).  He's refusing a refund, even though he doesn't even have an item to ship me.

Good times.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1579 on: March 17, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »
I watch movies in 12:1 myself. *nods*
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 17, 2015, 03:41:04 PM »
Speaking of aspect ratios, here's a little video on the history of them.

You may want to skip ahead to the last minute and a half when it talks about the 16:9 aspect ration and why I felt that Widescreen is the way to go in watching movies. They also show an example of what a picture looks like between the two. You'll notice that the detail added in the full screen version is very minimal compared to what is added in the widescreen version of a picture. That is why the T3 full screen difference is so weird to me. It adds almost double the picture then you get in the wide screen version.

I said I wasn't going to comment any more on this but everyone wants to keep discussing aspect ratios and I just can't help myself.

« Reply #1581 on: March 17, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
That video is good at explaining the different ratios but it doesn't go into the process for converting wide screen film to fit a FS television. That was the problem the studios used two different methods the most common was Pan and Scan, which is always a terrible idea, and open matting, which is what they did with T3 and countless other movies if you actually do your home work. Just read difference between Pan and Scan vs. Open Matting.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 17, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
Too lazy for that.

Zing!

I'm really image crazy these days. I don't know why.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 18, 2015, 09:43:03 AM »
Out of curiosity, why do you want the first edition?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
Because I have the second and third editions already? :D

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 18, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
Because first edition printed books are always valued higher monetarily than second, third and other printed editions. At least among collectors.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »
Well, yes. To be honest, I've bought a few collector's edition things here and there myself, like the first prints of Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Etrian Odyssey IV, and Bravely Default collector's edition (biggest mistake I've ever made regarding video games), but seeking out video game colllectors items that aren't bundled with actual video games seem like a silly thing to me. So I guess my point of view was a bit skewed.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
You know, it's a shame this guy had to be such a dick about just issuing me a refund.  I'd actually love to have an empty one of the boxes from the box sets to store the individual printings of the guides in - and if he's just buying box sets to strip them down, he could probably have sold me one of the boxes... but, because he's such a douchenozzle, there's no way I'm doing business with him now.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 18, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »
Some recent purchases over the past few weeks:

Oreshika (Vita)
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (Vita)
DmC: Devil May Cry - "Fanboys can go suck it" Edition (aka "Definitive Edition") (PS4)
Final Fantasy Type 0 HD Collector's Edition (PS4 - just arrived today)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 18, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
I picked up my reserved copy of Code Name Steam last night with my Majora pin. Pin is a nice consolation prize for not getting the limited edition statue. I was going to get Majora's Mask as well, but I feel no rush to get it since I am wrapped up in MonHun4U and now Steam. Probably pick in up for my birthday next month.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: March 19, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 19, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
I picked up my reserved copy of Code Name Steam last night with my Majora pin. Pin is a nice consolation prize for not getting the limited edition statue. I was going to get Majora's Mask as well, but I feel no rush to get it since I am wrapped up in MonHun4U and now Steam. Probably pick in up for my birthday next month.
Shameless fishing for birthday wishes!

happy birthday
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 19, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
My name turns gold on that day so I don't need to be shameless about it!

Thanks for the early well wishes.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 19, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »
On a side note, my copy of T3 arrived today.  Funny, it still has a Big Lots price tag on it for $4.99.  :D

Mayhaps, sometime, I'll throw it in my laptop and take some comparison stills-shots so the internet has more than just the one shot to go by. ;)

« Reply #1594 on: March 19, 2015, 05:38:34 PM »
just picked up Elliot Quest on Wii U eshop. Loving it so far.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1595 on: March 21, 2015, 12:05:28 AM »

I bought these from a store!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 21, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »

I stole these from a blind midget.  He didn't see it coming.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1597 on: March 21, 2015, 12:36:58 AM »
Whys youse gotta outdo me, UnclesBoobs? :( :'( :'(

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:30 AM »
You got the new Fossil Fighters. :D

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 21, 2015, 01:05:34 AM »
I was going to make a semi-humorous post (which would be a first for me! Zing! Sigh. Can't resist a zinger no matter the target....) about Phil's purchases but then I saw his UncleBoobs comment and I knew I was beat. Can't compete with comedy gold like that.

Bravo. *nods head*