Author Topic: MadWorld Director Interested in Sequel  (Read 5157 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: MadWorld Director Interested in Sequel
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
It can still be the same game at heart, it just absolutely needs to be in color, or something has to be done to make the game more playable. There are many times where you can't even tell if there are any enemies on the screen because everything looks the same. 480p being the Wii's max resolution is also to blame for this.

No, I think what's to blame is that busy black & white is not what the human recognition abilities are good at.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
It can still be the same game at heart, it just absolutely needs to be in color, or something has to be done to make the game more playable. There are many times where you can't even tell if there are any enemies on the screen because everything looks the same.

I never ever had that problem, and neither did any of my friends who combination played/watched me play almost the entire way through the game. I think you may be cursed with what the professional smart types call "weaksauce ocular evolution."

But seriously the game wouldn't have been the same without the graphical style. It's unfortunate that a few people had issues with identifying things on-screen, but if you check around at forums and stuff, it really is a select few people, and not anywhere near enough to make changing the style for a hypothetical sequel beneficial.

I got pwned.  :(  You sure about that number?  It was in the castle level where one of the special bonus goals was to shove X number of sign posts in a guy's head.  I thought that number was 8.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

I am 99% sure, because I was in Frank's Lab, using zombies as stab practice, and once I got five signs in its head, all I could do when I was near him with another sign was swing it at him.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but in the last few days I've been playing the game to see if I can complete it and I finally figured out why it hasn't engaged me as much.

I thought that Madworld was going to be 2009's No More Heroes, as in a bloody, stylish beat 'em up with a great sense of humor. After playing it I realized that the game is pretty average when compared to No More Heroes, and here is why.

It all boils down to the humor, story and characters. One of the reasons No More Heroes was so fantastic was because it created a violent but engaging universe you wanted to interact with. You had Travis Touchdown, a geeky loser that was still lovable and you felt for him during his victories and defeats. You had the bosses where they were at times just regular people like Travis who just wanted to be the best. In some cases, they became instantly likable and had fun just as fun meeting them as you did fighting them.

Finally, No More Heroes's story was one that never took itself seriously. It was shocking and bloody, yes, but never did it lose sight of the fact that this whole game was a mockery of Japanese Otaku culture and exploitation films. And it made it very enjoyable.

Now let's take a look at Madworld...

The problem is that its story is trying to take itself seriously. Yes, it does have bits and pieces of humor but on the whole its trying to be serious, and it doesn't work when placed in front of such violence. It's like having the intelligence of a political drama being directed like Quentin Tarantino and in my case at least it doesn't work.

Then are the bosses. Unlike the bosses on No More Heroes, they just show up to be badass, menacing and for you to kill them. There's no humor in them, no self awareness of their ridiculous nature. Speaking of the humor, at times I think the game is trying too hard to be shocking. In No More Heroes the humor was ridiculous but never did it felt forced. It flowed amazingly well, even when the humor was too dark. Jack is also a cliched badass character whereas Travis was refreshing and fun.

Finally, there's the gameplay. Both Madworld and No More Heroes are similar in that they are beat 'em ups composed of a section of pummeling bad guys and a boss fight. The difference is that in No More Heroes the gameplay uses waggle to a minimum, while Madworld overuses it to the point of annoyance. Thus, Madworld feels more like a chore to play and thus not as fun.

I know many of you loved Madworld, and I won't argue that the game is pretty damn good. Just saying that it didn't captivate me enough to consider it a fantastic game.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »
So... what we should get instead is a Platinum/Grasshopper co-developed game?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »
That is a great summation, Pap64. I've not played either game (yet), but No More Heroes is starting to sound like the rare violent game I would enjoy. I bought MadWorld on a whim because it's so cheap, though I haven't played it yet. I kind of regret it as it doesn't sound like something I'd like... but I guess I should try it first before I dismiss it.