Author Topic: Nikkei: Nintendo To Discontinue Wii U Production In 2016  (Read 11449 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Nikkei: Nintendo To Discontinue Wii U Production In 2016
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
It's not really a denial, though. The report only mentioned that production was winding down. Nintendo could still be making Wii U's this upcoming fiscal year with the parts they have left. Weren't they forecasting on selling 100,000 Wiis this fiscal year?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
Wait, is 3D World not canon or something?

I think it's on the "Hero Fails" timeline.

Sidenote: I love my extended gamepad battery and HIGHLY recommend it.
I second this. The extended Gamepad batter changes the way you play the device. As in, not tethered to the charging cord.

Also, this absurdity regarding 3D Mario and Zelda needs to end. 3D World is a better Mario game than the predecessors on the Wii, and Zelda is coming to Wii U.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
blah blah Wii U
... it never felt like Nintendo knew what they made it for.
To make games for it and make money? Just a wild guess here.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »
blah blah Wii U

And they accomplished neither, really, due to incredibly unfocused planning.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »
blah blah Wii U

I'd really like to hear how they failed to make games for it. If there's one saving grace of this system, it's the top notch first party support.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »
Or the fact that Nintendo managed to turn a profit even with the Wii U. So... 0 for 2 really.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 06:40:11 PM »
I feel like "discontinue" isn't the right word here, as it makes it sound like the Wii U would be completely pulled from store shelves and no longer sold, whereas the report just makes it sound like they will no longer produce more units. Given how poorly the system has sold, I wouldn't be surprised if they had enough stock right now to stop production, but continue to sell it through 2017.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »
blah blah Wii U

I'd really like to hear how they failed to make games for it. If there's one saving grace of this system, it's the top notch first party support.

I think you would find that list pretty damn pathetic if you stripped out the games Nintendo farmed out to other devs. 1st party-developed output has barely been present. Hell, of Nintendo's 5 confirmed Wii U releases this year (Twilight HD, Star Fox, Poken, Paper Mario, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions), Nintendo themselves only made...2, and one's a re-release.

And as for profitability, Nintendo was running in the red for quite a while thanks to the Wii U. Hell, they'd still be losing money if Amiibo hadn't had its temporary rush.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:50:38 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »
Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Mario Maker, Nintendo Land. Unless your expectation is for them to be pumping out a complete, rich gameplay experience every two months, I'm not sure how you can argue that's pathetic or barely present. And this is of course ignoring the fact that, while they may not have taken on the bulk of the development work, they deserve credit for making sure games like Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Yoshi's Woolly World, Bayonetta 2, etc. got made and added to the library of stellar games on the system.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 11:56:22 PM »
I'm didn’t they start losing money
I feel like "discontinue" isn't the right word here, as it makes it sound like the Wii U would be completely pulled from store shelves and no longer sold, whereas the report just makes it sound like they will no longer produce more units.
Gotta get those clicks.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 02:30:08 AM »
Nikkei: Nintendo To Discontinue Wii U Production In 2016

BNM2k1: That's cool, I discontinued Wii U use back in early 2015

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 03:17:56 AM »
I feel like "discontinue" isn't the right word here, as it makes it sound like the Wii U would be completely pulled from store shelves and no longer sold, whereas the report just makes it sound like they will no longer produce more units. Given how poorly the system has sold, I wouldn't be surprised if they had enough stock right now to stop production, but continue to sell it through 2017.

"Discontinue Production" is perfectly clear (unlike the thread in Console Discussion that just said "discontinue." I don't think it's unfair to expect people to parse that; Basic reading ability is required for this web site.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »

"Discontinue Production" is perfectly clear (unlike the thread in Console Discussion that just said "discontinue." I don't think it's unfair to expect people to parse that; Basic reading ability is required for this web site.
True, I was more just speaking as a general response from all the websites and people who see the word "discontinue" and run wild with it. I should have been more clear.