Author Topic: Skyrim Thread  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Skyrim Thread
« on: May 12, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
Skyrim is more than worth playing on it's own.

Do we have a Skyrim thread? I played a bunch of it on Switch, but not sure if I posted about it.

I swear there was one, but search turned up none, so this will be a good spot.

I simply adore that game. I played it and Breath of the Wild interchangeably, and I'm hoping they both take ideas from each other for their future iterations.

Horses in Skyrim are so broken that it allowed me to cheese my way to some areas on mountains I should not have gotten myself to.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »
I never did any horse glitches, but maybe I should try it.

I liked Skyrim, kinda.  I played it after BotW, which is a much better game IMO, and that may have soured me a tad on the experience.  To be honest, while I was sinking hours into the game, it just started to feel like work.  I was just chipping away at random quests, occasionally getting in over my head, and jumping in and out of the story lines made them hard to follow.

There are a couple things I specifically disliked, like at the very beginning there are people telling you to visit the mage college to learn magic.  I'm thinking, "Ok, that makes sense, I wanna do some magic spells," but the freaking thing is at the opposite end of the map and I don't get there until many hours later, after having learned magic attacks.

I also think some z-targeting would improve the gameplay, since it's harder to hit the higher powered spells.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
I'm really tempted to pick this up. I am out of touch with modern, non-Nintendo gaming, so I'm grateful for all these ports we've been getting recently. Dark Souls, Skyrim, Wolfenstein 2, even FF7, the list goes on…
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
There's some things I found kinda funny.  When I left off the game, my character was both the Dean (or w/e) of the Mage College and the Leader of the Thieves Guild.  Those probably shouldn't be compatible jobs?  Also, I have basically my own set of followers living in a cave somewhere, who I more or less kidnapped into my cult.  This game really knows how to make you feel special, while allowing you be be mauled to death by random bears.  I'm also a vampire who is climbing the ranks of an assassins club.

I do kinda wish I had the option to not be the leader of the Thieves Guild because I have no intention of doing anything else with that.  And being a Dean is really just a do-nothing title.

One thing that kinda irked me was that I'm on the Nord's side of the civil war, and I don't like that side.  I wasn't sure where I was allowed to join the otherside, but the game early on was like "Hey, go join the Stormcloaks".  So, I kinda rolled with it?  That was also an early quest that pointed me in a direction that was 20+ hours away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
Real men become Werewolves and join the imperials. Who needs the lame cloaks anyways?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
There's a werewolf quest?  I would try that out.  Can I be both?  I had to look up if my vampirism was curable, which I'm glad it is (I think?), but I never fixed it.

And honestly, I don't like the stormcloaks.  I avoided a lot of those quests because of that.  Especially after you take one city and everyone is just super bummed at you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »
One thing that kinda irked me was that I'm on the Nord's side of the civil war, and I don't like that side.  I wasn't sure where I was allowed to join the otherside, but the game early on was like "Hey, go join the Stormcloaks".  So, I kinda rolled with it?  That was also an early quest that pointed me in a direction that was 20+ hours away.

They do a good job of making it a grey area for each side. There is a point where you can switch, after you get the leaders to meet for a possible truce summit. There you "learn what the other side is like" and you have an option to switch. Not quite sure how to do that though as I have yet to choose a side. I'm deathly afraid of closing out any possible quests and actions so I am holding off on that until I have done near everything else I can.

I was originally leaning Imperial, believing order and unity coupled with internal reform would lead to the better outcome because it would take the entire empire to hope to stand against the elves and once they had withstood them in rebellion they could reinstate open Talos worship.

But part way through my inner Nord rose up and I felt I could take the entire Dominion on my own so I've swung to the other side, but the rampant racism of the Stormcloaks puts a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I'm all for pride and nationalism, but you shouldn't hate on others as a showing of your national pride.

So I may swing back around by the time I make the choice.

There's a werewolf quest?  I would try that out.  Can I be both?  I had to look up if my vampirism was curable, which I'm glad it is (I think?), but I never fixed it.

And honestly, I don't like the stormcloaks.  I avoided a lot of those quests because of that.  Especially after you take one city and everyone is just super bummed at you.

Gotta watch the flipping between Werewolf and Vampire. To can become werewolf and cure yourself once. You then get one more time to be turned back and if you cure yourself again that is it. Vampire can turn you and you can cure yourself multiple times. There is a way to become a hybrid, and there are different stages of it depending on how you pull it off. Read a guide on it if you want to try.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 07:19:07 PM »

They do a good job of making it a grey area for each side. There is a point where you can switch, after you get the leaders to meet for a possible truce summit. There you "learn what the other side is like" and you have an option to switch. Not quite sure how to do that though as I have yet to choose a side. I'm deathly afraid of closing out any possible quests and actions so I am holding off on that until I have done near everything else I can.

I was originally leaning Imperial, believing order and unity coupled with internal reform would lead to the better outcome because it would take the entire empire to hope to stand against the elves and once they had withstood them in rebellion they could reinstate open Talos worship.

But part way through my inner Nord rose up and I felt I could take the entire Dominion on my own so I've swung to the other side, but the rampant racism of the Stormcloaks puts a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I'm all for pride and nationalism, but you shouldn't hate on others as a showing of your national pride.

That's actually my main issue with it.  My character isn't even a Nord, so running around with an army yelling "Skryim is for the Nords!" completely takes me out of the role play.  And honestly, recent real-life events just make it so unsavory.

Gotta watch the flipping between Werewolf and Vampire. To can become werewolf and cure yourself once. You then get one more time to be turned back and if you cure yourself again that is it. Vampire can turn you and you can cure yourself multiple times. There is a way to become a hybrid, and there are different stages of it depending on how you pull it off. Read a guide on it if you want to try.

If/when I pick up the game again, I'll look into that.  The game seems to be better with a guide, is the running theme I'm picking up on.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
I'm sure it can be a blast to play without a guide, and play multiple times without it making different choices, but I'm older with many more responsibilities. Odds are unless a game is one of my "comfort plays" that I'll go back to every few years (some Zeldas and Marios, classic PC games, Fire Emblems) I'll never replay it-or in Skyrim's case I may never finish the one play through there is so much to do. So I'll regularly use guides to ensure I don't miss anything in certain areas.

A second justification I use is that the game is notoriously buggy, and one wrong action or playing certain events our of order can lock you out of some seriously good story outcomes and loot. Again, I ain't got time to replay large swathes of games anymore and to just throw it all away and do it over again...unless it is Fire Emblem. That game is built to eat my time (thank God for the turn wheel feature!)

There are also some glitches that can greatly benefit you without making the game totally broken. You can get two Dawnbreakers if you knock the one off its pedestal during the fight related to earning it and pick it up, as you are transported out of the temple once the enemy is defeated and the game gives you a different instance of it. Something awesome about wielding two glowing swords. Using them both doesn't make the game too easy.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
Oh damn. :( I only got the one Dawnbreaker.

Offline John_L

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 06:13:22 AM »

That's actually my main issue with it.  My character isn't even a Nord, so running around with an army yelling "Skryim is for the Nords!" completely takes me out of the role play.  And honestly, recent real-life events just make it so unsavory.

If/when I pick up the game again, I'll look into that.  The game seems to be better with a guide, is the running theme I'm picking up on.

I played it after BotW, which is a much better game IMO, and that may have soured me a tad on the experience.  To be honest, while I was sinking hours into the game, it just started to feel like work.  I was just chipping away at random quests, occasionally getting in over my head, and jumping in and out of the story lines made them hard to follow.

There are a couple things I specifically disliked, like at the very beginning there are people telling you to visit the mage college to learn magic.  I'm thinking, "Ok, that makes sense, I wanna do some magic spells," but the freaking thing is at the opposite end of the map and I don't get there until many hours later, after having learned magic attacks.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
Nice post, bro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »
Nice post, bro.

Wow, did that bot just jack your post but give it the proper context through quotes?
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
Nice post, bro.

Wow, did that bot just jack your post but give it the proper context through quotes?

Lmao, yeah.