Author Topic: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100  (Read 32458 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

So, this is a thing. $100. 20 games, including FF7, Wild ARMS, Jumping Flash, Tekken 3, & Ridge Racer Type 4.

The thing will be $100 in the US, $130 in Canada. It will include 2 NON-Dualshock controllers, and it will NOT come with an AC Adaptor, apparently learning from Nintendo not including one in the 3DS XL.

Personally, I can't say I'm interested. Most of the PS1 lineup doesn't hold up, especially if we're not getting Dualshock-era games. Not including the AC adaptor is just stupid. I wish they'd have just skipped to the PS2 Classic , what people actually want. At least with Sony doing this, you'll probably be able to actually find them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »
I won't be getting one of these, that said, I assume it'll also sell fairly well to the people who grew up on these games like those who grew up on NES/SNES flocked to those mini consoles. 

I've determined the real appeal of the NES/SNES classics to me were less the games (especially given how easy it is to mod it to add more), and more the controllers.  For some reason, I'm a lot more particular about playing NES/SNES/Sega Genesis games than I think I am for PS1 games and beyond.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
No dualshock is weird, although most games are perfectly playable without them. Guess Ape Escape is out though.

Wonder what other games they'll add.
You'd kinda expect to at least need Resident Evil 1 or 2, Metal Gear Solid, one of the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games, Tony Hawk 2, Gran Turismo, Oddworld, PaRappa, and Tomb Raider right? Maybe WipEout, Driver, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, a Syphon Filter title, Rayman, and another big name RPG too. The PS1 library is so vast, selection will definitely skip over several major classics.

Does "pre-loaded" imply it'll be possible to load/purchase further games for it somehow, or not?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
I’m tempted because I think the classic consoles are cool. Snagging an NES Classic made me feel comfortable postponing signing up for Nintendo Switch Online until December. However, like the Neo Geo Mini, I don’t have the same attachment to the OG PlayStation as Nintendo’s legacy consoles. That generation was a weird transition too. Many of those games don’t hold up. And Switch is getting Final Fantasy VII so if I really want to scratch that itch, I can wait until next year.

It’s bizarre that Sony didn’t announce the entire lineup.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
Quick impressions, some already mentioned by others:
* odd to not see the actual games listed, and the five they did list didn't really excite; this could be an issue with Sony consoles, because first-party development is (IMO) much less important that third-party support, which can create licensing headaches
* original PS controllers are possibly my least favorite of all controllers; don't like how they feel generally and really don't like the d-pad replacement, so their inclusion here is a bit of a disappointment
* functionally, I'm struggling to see value because I already own a PSTV (aka: super tiny, HDMI-compatible mini-console that gives access to many great PSOne Classic titles from PSN at very low cost)

But toss those concerns aside, and it's still pretty awesome to see. Others who have more nostalgia for the PlayStation era will likely be stoked by this news. Hopefully Sony does a great job with the quality - I fully expect them to.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
This is a copycat idea but it's such an obviously GOOD copycat idea that I can't fault Sony for doing it.  The PS1 is like the NES equivalent for people ten years younger than me so it will probably hit the same nostalgic beats, just for different people than Nintendo's offerings.

One thing that is a little bit of a problem for Sony is that the PlayStation really is defined by third party games.  The NES and SNES kind of were as well but Nintendo themselves had such strong first party titles that even if they didn't get third party games on their classic systems, they could still have made a pretty desirable product.  When people think NES they'll think Mario, Zelda, Punch-Out, Metroid as much as Mega Man or Castlevania.  That's not the case with the PS1.  They'll think Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken well before first party titles like... um... Crash Bandicoot I guess.  Because of that third party focus this is probably going to have an imbalance of first party titles that were not as iconic and less third party titles that were.  I feel the NES and SNES Classic lineups are really close to being the ideal dream lineup for the system but I doubt this will get there as there will be too many companies that would need to be involved.  Gran Turismo is probably the only first party title that really feels like it MUST be there and it probably won't be due to rights issues with the cars.

I may get this but only if the quality is on par with Nintendo's systems.  Sega has had Genesis systems for years but they apparently suck so I've had no interest in getting one.  Nintendo has set the bar very high and I expect Sony to match it.  Since the price point is pretty high (Atari and Genesis consoles are quite cheap) I'm thinking Sony is aiming to match Nintendo.

Poor Microsoft can't get in on this action that well.  The Xbox doesn't quite seem retro enough and even if they went for it it's clearly the ONLY product they could release (Xbox 360 Classic? lol).  Of course now that this is coming out the N64 Classic seems like a mandatory product - though it's going to be hurt by the lack of Rare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »
I’m not confident nostalgia for Sony is anywhere near as strong as Nintendo and even Sega. The people who grew up with PlayStation as their first console probably still play video games. They may have already downloaded these games ages ago. Are they the type to double dip on a nostalgia machine? Do they have any reason to with the games tied to their PSN account? Sony has even been using the same basic controller for two decades.

After collectors get their hands on PlayStation Classic, I don’t know who this is for. With NES and SNES Classic Editions, Nintendo infamously produced so few units at first because it specifically targeted lapsed players who stopped gaming after those consoles and right before PlayStation, grossly underestimating how eager its own fans were willing to buy Super Mario Bros. for the 473619th time.

Just today, Sega announced it’s delaying the Mega Drive Mini to essentially overhaul the whole thing. AtGames is no longer handling it; an unnamed Japanese developer is (possibly M2 who worked on Sega Ages). Good call. Like Ian alluded to, AtGames’ officially licensed Sega Genesis Flashback was not good. Hopefully, Sega will get it right this time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:35:21 PM by Adrock »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
...  I feel the NES and SNES Classic lineups are really close to being the ideal dream lineup for the system but I doubt this will get there as there will be too many companies that would need to be involved.  ...

One other thing that (to me) might be problematic for creating an "ideal lineup" is that PlayStation had such a varied lineup, not everyone will remember the same games fondly. To some, it was a sports console. To others, an RPG machine. And for others, neither of those genres mattered at all...

That wouldn't prevent them from picking 20 absolutely awesome games though, if licencing isn't an issue.

Here's hoping for Future Cop LAPD and Klonoa!

Just today, Sega announced it’s delaying the Mega Drive Mini to essentially overhaul the whole thing. AtGames is no longer handling it; an unnamed Japanese developer is (possibly M2 who worked on Sega Ages). Good call. Like Ian alluded to, AtGames’ officially licensed Sega Genesis Flashback was not good. Hopefully, Sega will get it right this time.

Awesome news - I'm more interested in this, personally, as I don't have easy and convenient access to old Genesis classics the same way that I do to PSOne Classics. Not sure if I'd buy one, but would strongly consider it.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
Great to hear that Sega's overhauling their version.  In a way one could look at these mini-consoles as an unofficial "series" of products from multiple companies.  If Sony or Sega can release products that can stand next to Nintendo's then there will be people that want a complete collection of "Classics".

One issue with this though is that a lot of iconic PS1 games have an 'M' rating.  MGS, Twisted Metal and the Resident Evil series are ones that immediately come to mind.  It seems wrong to be missing those but I see the obvious benefit of a product that's more family friendly.  This wasn't an issue with the NES/SNES Classics because the ESRB didn't exist for most of their existence and the only titles that would bump things to an 'M' would be the Mortal Kombat games.  The Genesis benefits from that as well.

As for what titles I would want to see on this I would like a good balance between really popular games and well regarded games that are expensive and rare to buy used copies of.  One thing that really made the SNES Classic worth it was that it had expensive games like Earthbound in it.  If games like Suikoden II or Klonoa are included then the value of this goes up significantly.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
...  If games like Suikoden II or Klonoa are included then the value of this goes up significantly.

Although it's worth mentioning that both of those games are available as cheap digital downloads via PSN.

I wonder if there will be any exclusive games that didn't seen normal release, like Star Fox 2. Who could say no to a localized version of LSD: Dream Emulator?  (Seriously, with just 20 games and such a huge library, it's hard to say what might be included. Will there be underappreciated gems, or mostly well-known mainstream games? I'd wager the latter for nostalgia purposes...)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
Oh man, Nintendo should release an N64 Classic as close to the PS1 release date as possible. Let's have another N64 VS PS1 war and see who comes out on top this time! :evil;
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:09 PM »
Oh man, Nintendo should release an N64 Classic as close to the PS1 release date as possible. Let's have another N64 VS PS1 war and see who comes out on top this time! :evil;

I'm betting PlayStation Classic would drastically outpace N64 Classic sales.

Sure, the only reason for that is because Nintendo's doesn't have the willingness/ability to put out enough stock to meet demand... but a win is a win.

FWIW:  I still haven't seen either an NES or SNES Classic system in stock at stores, although managed to trade for an SNES Classic and was lucky enough to secure an online order of the NES Classic during an hour it was in stock.  Highly doubt Sony will take the same marketing tactic.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
Really? I just stopped in EBGames yesterday and they had 5 NES Classics right on their counter. It seems when I do stop by a store like Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, I'll see a couple of these behind their counter as well. I've had the feeling that Nintendo's met the demand for this already and then I see a post like yours and I'm shocked that people are still having a hard time finding or acquiring one of these classic systems.  The SNES now maybe. That I haven't seen in awhile but the NES seems to be getting stocked enough.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
I find it funny how these throwback systems didn't seem very popular until Nintendo did it.

What's the story with the AC adapter? Can it use one that came with some other product? Does any old USB cable or something like that work with it? If it requires its own adapter made specially for it, then it's certainly odd to sell that separately.

I can't see this thing selling all that well, but I'm probably underestimating PS1 nostalgia.

As far as availability goes with Nintendo's Classics, I guess it must vary wildly by area. Here, the SNES Classic was scarce only during its launch and the following holiday, but that happens to every popular product. Since then, it's been easy to find one. The NES Classic has had stacks since its re-release; I remember counting 21 at the local Walmart two weeks after it came out. I dare say Nintendo may have overproduced it this time, hee hee.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »
For me, the lack of Dualshocks; the unknown software lineup; and the $100 price tag are pretty much deal breakers. The PS1 was notorious for its outright ban of 2D games overall, and I think we can all agree that playing a 3D game with a Dpad really sucks.

I say "I think we can all agree" because there are some deranged people that actually like Metroid Other M. :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »
Want.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »
The Genesis flashbacks main downfall was its sound chip, and IR controller. Fix those and I'd have a good experience.

I wanted the colecovision flashbacks, but now their expensive items on ebay.

I would really like a Jaguar 64 classic console though. I had Raiden, Alien vs Predator, NBA hangtime, and Cybermorph back in 7th grade. If it hadn't broke and we hadn't returned it I'd still have it. I was thinking about building my own with a raspberry pi, but I need a 3D printer

100 bucks is steep. It isn't worth the novelty.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »
I think a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition would outsell PlayStation Classic, especially if Nintendo made a deal with Microsoft to include Rare games and/or if Nintendo sorted out the rights to Goldeneye. I know it’s an M rated game; we’re talking hypotheticals here. This isn’t 1997 anymore. Classic consoles sell on nostalgia, not gaming trends of the time. PlayStation had more games. Pick only 20, and that evens out the value prospect. Most games on PlayStation Classic have probably been available on the PlayStation Store for a decade, and they’re tied to an account. It’s much harder to legally download first party Nintendo games because Nintendo.
I find it funny how these throwback systems didn't seem very popular until Nintendo did it.
To be fair, Nintendo was the first company to release a good one. Atari and Sega licensed their brands to subpar products. Also, Nintendo fans tend to have more of an attachment to the company’s legacy products and with good reason. Most of the games hold up really well.
What's the story with the AC adapter? Can it use one that came with some other product?
PlayStation Classic looks like it uses a regular USB Type A to micro for power. I guess Sony assumes most people have a USB port on their TV. And if you’ve had a smartphone in the last nine or 10 years, you probably have a 5 volt charger which you can use. That said, the decision is defensible. Like New 3DS XL, I still would have preferred it included. Those things don’t cost that much for hardware manufacturers. I suppose every penny counts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
I'm sure there are reasons for it but it's still funny to me!

Actually, Goldeneye 007 is rated T. You might be confusing it with Perfect Dark which got the M rating.

That's good if it uses a standard cord for power, makes more sense why it wouldn't be in there. I mean sure, it should still be in there, but Sony's always been known for cutting corners too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »
Oh, wow. I always thought Goldeneye was rated M. A T rating would make it easier to include. Too bad the rights are a colossal clusterfuck. It’s hard to imagine a Nintendo 64 Classic without it.

I don’t see the point in PlayStation Classic if it doesn’t include M rated games. Sure, Sony can do it, but I feel like it kind of misses the point.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:10:17 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
lol at the Jaguar mini suggestion.  I mean, I'd buy it but the market for that is miniscule.  Probably couldn't put AvP on there because of licensing issues.  For me I want the more obscure systems.  Give me a Turbo Duo mini for example, because I can't afford to collect the real games.  But that's not really the idea.

I think an N64 classic would sell better than the PlayStation Classic if Nintendo made enough of them because Nintendo has a dedicated fanbase that other companies just don't have.  I wouldn't even assume that more people have nostalgia for the N64 over the PS1 but rather just that those that do have N64 nostalgia are more likely to buy such a product.

I don't like the exclusion of the AC adapter because while I have a couple USB adapters, this is a console so it's going to be plugged into the TV most of the time and stay there.  I could use the one that came with my SNES Classic but then I can't have both plugged in and ready to go, I have to swap around.  I have one for my phone but that has to remain accessible because I need to charge my phone.  A handheld device like the 3DS is different because the AC is just for charging so you're constantly swapping things in and out.  But a non-handheld device should plug into the power and be expected to stay there, meaning it has to eat up a USB adapter full time.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
... the NES seems to be getting stocked enough.

... availability ... must vary wildly by area. ...

Availability issues must be a location thing, since others online keep saying they aren't hard to find.

I live in the East Coast of Canada, and we have a pretty small population. Maybe we just don't rate for bringing them in, or maybe scalpers are still taking them all (although none are currently listed on Kijiji in my city). I literally look at every toy/department/video game store when I go out - about once every week or so - and have never seen either in stock since initial release.

Count me in for one of the Jaguar and TurboDuo Mini units though!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
I wouldn't even assume that more people have nostalgia for the N64 over the PS1 but rather just that those that do have N64 nostalgia are more likely to buy such a product.
I wonder which console more people are nostalgic for: N64 or PS One?

Nostalgia is a powerful tool. Sony released PlayStation TV almost five years ago. It's compatible with PS One Classics and even supports multiplayer for those games. People could have made their own PlayStation Classic years ago. They could yet largely didn't. The price of entry was higher though I think a lot of interest in PlayStation Classic is driven by the fact that it's shaped like an original PlayStation.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »
I already bought a $100 piece of miniature overpriced electronics to play PS1 games from Sony; a Vita memory card.

No analog means I can look forward to Loaded and Re:Loaded... yeah, hard pass.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 11:41:27 PM »
People were complaining that you can buy a Vita TV that plays hundreds of PS1 games for the same price.