Author Topic: Reggie: iPhone, iPad Won't Impact DS Business  (Read 2678 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Reggie: iPhone, iPad Won't Impact DS Business
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
The Nintendo President talks about the recent competitor in the handheld space.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22863

In a recent interview with Kotaku, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime stated that he doesn't believe that Apple's success with its iPhone OS products has much of an effect on Nintendo's handheld market.   Fils-Aime described the data he'd seen by saying that iPhone and iPod Touch users were downloading many apps, but those apps were often free.   He added that most users did not spend long periods of time using their downloaded software.    

"Clearly it doesn't look like their platform is a viable profit platform for game development because so many of the games are free versus paid downloads," Fils-Aime said.   He later added that the games that Nintendo provided on the DS were much different.  "If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals, depending n the type of game, (Apple's) aren't even a mouthful, in terms of the gaming experience you get."    

Despite these words, Nintendo has been keeping their eye on the iPhone OS lineup.   Earlier in the year, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata stated that if Nintendo couldn't differentiate itself from Apple, then their future in the market was bleak.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie: iPhone, iPad Won't Impact DS Business
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »
Are there any games that cost more than $1.99 on the App store?

If someone where to release a "real" game with a "real" budget from a "real" publisher, and price it expecting to make their money back($19.99 - $29.99), would it even sell to the iPhone crowd?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
They go up to 10$ in a few rare cases but most are around 1-3. Stuff like HAWX probably counts as the iPhone equivalent of AAA but I have no idea how much money that made (costs 5.50€).

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »
Are there any games that cost more than $1.99 on the App store?

If someone where to release a "real" game with a "real" budget from a "real" publisher, and price it expecting to make their money back($19.99 - $29.99), would it even sell to the iPhone crowd?

I'd consider EA a "real" publisher and some of the things they put on the iPhone to be "real" games. Their games tend to launch at between $6 and $10, and they keep making them, so they must be having some financial success.

It seems like developers are trying to price iPad games at a premium, with many prices now in the $5-15 range instead of the iPhone's usual $1-3 range, but I'd be surprised if that trend were to last. 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
Chinatown Wars was ported to the iPhone as well, it's $9.99 though it did have a temp price drop to $6.99.

No word on sales, but if it's done better than the DS version I'd be shocked. Apps in the App Store seem to be on a race to the bottom.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
I wasn't at all interested in the iPad, until I discovered yesterday that the Netflix app actually lets you do Instant Viewing on the device. Now I want one pretty bad, but I can wait until the second-generation version and price drops.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Netflix on an iPad still wouldn't beat a laptop as you still have to hold the device up to see the screen especially while laying in bed.

as far as features though, I'd probably check out that Android Tegra 2 based touch pad as it's widescreen, likely has everything the iPad v2 will have(and some things that it won't, like USB support) and will probably be cheaper.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:51:46 AM »
Generally the numbers so far look like Apple is half getting a new market and half chewing away from the PSP with no impact on the DS at all.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:58:37 AM »
Since I got the iPhone two years ago, I've rarely touched my ds and psp. I have great games for them but I never feel like lugging them around. And if I did, I rarely have more than five mins to play a game outside the house. This is why the iPhone is great for me. I've got a few simple games on there which are perfect for quick session. So yes, the iPhone does make an impact as I have no plans to buy the new handheld. The big question as how much. It all depends on Nintendo inventing something of high quality out of left field to get fence sitters lime me convinced we must have the new toy. That said I'm pretty excited to see the 3dds as there's always the possibility I'll get that Mario 64 type excitement.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 03:23:38 AM »
As a commuter I often have the DS around on longer trips. The iPod mostly sees use as a podcast player since most of the games are fairly shabby.