Author Topic: Star Wars Content Hitting the Wii  (Read 6313 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Star Wars Content Hitting the Wii
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:13:52 AM »
Nintendo and LucasArts release the Super Star Wars trilogy on Virtual Console, with more games on the way.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=19772

Super Star Wars was released for Virtual Console today, and Nintendo confirmed that there is more Star Wars to come.    

Both Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi are coming to the Virtual Console in the next few weeks. All three Super Nintendo games will be available for 800 Wii Points ($8) each. Nintendo promises more LucasArts Virtual Console releases in the future, although no other titles were announced.    

Nintendo is also bringing additional Star Wars flair to other Wii channels. The Check Mii Out Channel will have contests in which people submit their best Mii character renditions of Star Wars characters. The Everybody Votes Channel will have classic Star Wars debates, such who fired first – Han Solo or Greedo?    

Nintendo's Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing Cammie Dunaway is happy with the partnership. "These three Super Star Wars games represent fantastic additions to the growing Virtual Console library," she said. "And the exclusive Star Wars content on the other Wii Menu channels is sure to have people from different generations having fun and interacting with one another."    

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE: STAR WARS CONTENT BLASTS ONTO WII CONSOLE    

Multiple LucasArts Super Nintendo Games Head to Virtual Console    

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 10, 2009 - Fans of Star Wars® and classic Nintendo games will want to keep an eye on their Wii™ Shop Channel for the next month. Nintendo will be releasing multiple LucasArts favorites for Virtual Console™, starting today with Super Star Wars®. In the coming weeks, both Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back® and Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi® will be added to the Virtual Console lineup. All three Super Star Wars games were originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ and will be available at 800 Wii Points™ each.    

The arrival of the first three games will be accompanied by additional Star Wars-themed content on other Wii channels throughout the week. The Check Mii Out Channel will invite people to submit their best Mii™ character renditions of classic Star Wars characters. On the Everybody Votes Channel, users can cast their votes to help settle old debates, such as the proper order to watch the six Star Wars films, and who fired first - Han Solo or Greedo?    

"Our expanded partnership with LucasArts brings the Star Wars and Nintendo universes together," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "These three Super Star Wars games represent fantastic additions to the growing Virtual Console library, and the exclusive Star Wars content on the other Wii Menu channels is sure to have people from different generations having fun and interacting with one another."    

"Virtual Console on Wii is a great way to make these games available to our fans again, and it's an awesome opportunity to expose our classic console titles to an entirely new audience," said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts.    

Additional classic LucasArts games for Virtual Console will be announced in the future.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Content Hitting the Wii
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »
excellent news. This opens the door to so many excellent games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
I hope this is the warm up for the BIG starwars lightsaber M+ game coming this Xmas that will be announced at TGS during an Iwata speech.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
Even if it'll probably suck considering Lucas Arts' recent games.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
Force Unleashed was pure awesomeness. Not the Wii version though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
I hope they spent some time to tweak the old games since I remember them being brutally hard. Some easier difficulty levels would be nice. Or just an infinte lives cheat.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
Rogue Squadron needs to happen on VC. We already know that the Expansion Pak won't be a problem, thanks to Majora's Mask.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »
Rogue Squadron needs to happen on VC. We already know that the Expansion Pak won't be a problem, thanks to Majora's Mask.

Shadows of the Empire needs to happen first!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
I am excited for the N64 Star Wars games that should come out of this venture.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »
Rogue Sqaudron doesn't require the Expansion Pak. I'd think it would be more likely to be released without the Expansion Pak enhancements if they required more effort to include.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »
Note that they have only said that the SNES games are coming to the VC. No word on the N64 titles coming during this special event.

Regardless, this is a pretty cool thing to do. If Nintendo did this sort of thing to push their upcoming titles.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »
This might also be the "test" for some classic point-n-click adventures like The Dig, Full Throttle & Indiana Jones (which was already included in the Wii game).

VC does already have Monkey Island & isn't Sam & Max on there too? I couldn't imagine Lucas Arts wanting to sit on the side line and not collect free money if those games are selling decently well.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »
ugh, more "tests."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »
VC does already have Monkey Island & isn't Sam & Max on there too? I couldn't imagine Lucas Arts wanting to sit on the side line and not collect free money if those games are selling decently well.

WiiWare. No Monkey Island or Sa7 Max games on the VC (and not gonna happen unless Nintendo adds a PC section).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

WiiWare. No Monkey Island or Sa7 Max games on the VC (and not gonna happen unless Nintendo adds a PC section).

Thanks for the correction as I tend to refer to the entire service as VC, & Lucas Arts wanting to bring the entire p-n-c library over is more than enough reason to create a PCVC

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
Force Unleashed was pure awesomeness.

If by "pure awesomeness" you mean "pure mediocrity and atrocious rape of the Star Wars canon," then yeah.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »
Note that they have only said that the SNES games are coming to the VC. No word on the N64 titles coming during this special event.

Quote from: Press Release
Additional classic LucasArts games for Virtual Console will be announced in the future.

That's left to interpretation, which is why we're hoping/speculating that Star Wars N64 games might hit in the future.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »
Man, I remember the Star Wars games on SNES being on the tough side. I couldn't beat the level which has Luke on his skyhopper thingy... :'(

I wonder what brought on this sudden wave of cashing in on nostalgia?

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:14:45 AM »
Look what I found in my room!

~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline ATimson

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:22:12 AM »
I wonder what brought on this sudden wave of cashing in on nostalgia?
Quite possibly they're trying to distract us from the fact that their only announced project after the forthcoming Clone Wars games is The Old Republic. They just don't have anything else in the pipeline that's going to give them money soon.
Grr. Argh.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 05:25:03 AM »
The best part about this announcement is it now says it's very possible for Nintendo to make deals with other publishers in the future to bring other license based games to the Virtual Console.

Hopefully this means Nintendo will eventually make a deal with Disney.  There were so many amazing Disney games released for the NES, SNES and Genesis that's it'd be a shame, no it's be downright CRIMINAL if none of them ever show up.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 06:19:24 AM »
The best part about this announcement is it now says it's very possible for Nintendo to make deals with other publishers in the future to bring other license based games to the Virtual Console.

Hopefully this means Nintendo will eventually make a deal with Disney.  There were so many amazing Disney games released for the NES, SNES and Genesis that's it'd be a shame, no it's be downright CRIMINAL if none of them ever show up.

Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. There are a lot of them.

Rogue Sqaudron doesn't require the Expansion Pak. I'd think it would be more likely to be released without the Expansion Pak enhancements if they required more effort to include.

Do we know if it requires much effort? I've only heard speculation on it. I would prefer those games to be enhanced though as most of the N64 Star Wars games used it. I never got Battle for Naboo and would love to see that one appear. Though I may just give up and get the original cart somewhere.

I remember Super Star Wars being nard, but a good and challenging kind of hard. Loved it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »
nard

That made me chuckle becuase of the movie Monster Squad. Those who've seen it will know why.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Look what I found in my room!

My first gameboy game!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »
Meh, ignoring Tetris my first GB game was R-Type.