Author Topic: Star Fox creator says some stuff  (Read 12705 times)

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Star Fox creator says some stuff
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »
Star fox creator sounds off on his baby.

The original source.

Talk about some bad blood. But as they say, the ones he was involved in were fun and enjoyable, the others... :'(
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Star Fox creator says some stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
Games are toys.

Wii is a toy.

Let us not foghat.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
I love how the G4 article says he was responsible for 64, which is a huge lie.  Cuthbert had nothing to do with Star Fox 64 at all. 

http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/star-fox-64/credits

Of course since it's G4 I shouldn't be surprised since they're one of the biggest jokes in all of gaming.  But this is a rather big deal since Star Fox 64 is widely regarded as the best one, and this guy had no involvement what so ever in it.  This goes to show that this guys words shouldn't be taken too seriously, when Miyamoto and Nintendo are the ones solely responsible for making the best in the series without his involvement.

Oh yeah, not to mention Dylan Cuthbert is NOT the creator of the original Star Fox.  The man who deserves most of the credit for the original Star Fox is Katsuya Eguchi who was the DIRECTOR of the damn game.  The director in videogames, like movies, is the most important person.  They're the one that runs everything and makes the important decisions.  Cuthbert was just a programmer for the original, who was working under, that's right, Eguchi and doing what Eguchi told him.

The only Star Fox that Cuthbert can truly say was his baby is Command, where he got to finally be the director and controlled what happened.  And we all know how Command turned out.

So what we have here, is an article where they're interviewing a guy who worked on the original Star Fox, and then got to direct what was arguably the worst Star Fox, but had no involvement in what generally considered the best Star Fox.  And yet, he's now considered the creator of the series and so his words are to be taken as fact, especially since he's bashing Nintendo with them?

Really, this interview deserves to be posted in the "Pathetic state of the gaming media" thread because of all the factual errors and the blatant misleading it does.

Edit: Oh look at that, G4 has just gone back and edited the article and now acknowledges that Cuthbert had nothing to do with 64.  They even apologize at the bottom now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:23:09 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »
Thanks luigi dude, I thought something was off.  After reading the article I did a cursory google search of his name, and there was no mention of starfox.  If that's the case then this article is completely bogus!  Command wasn't terrible, I really enjoyed the terrible plots (classic cheese!) and the "command" aspect.

I think the Wii would be a great fit for starfox, which has always been (to me) about simple controls and shooting things.  Pointer controls would work great!  Or even the controls like in the warioware boss stage would be fun.  Or just use the nunchuck!  What's stopping you?  >=U

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:38:54 PM »
I'd be much more willing to discount his comments if the PixelJunk games weren't kicking so much ass on PSN.  Nintendo needs to get some of that love.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:17:13 AM »
I'd be much more willing to discount his comments if the PixelJunk games weren't kicking so much ass on PSN.  Nintendo needs to get some of that love.

If making good games were all that took to make such comments legitimate, then there are several counterarguments by people who've made better games than PixelJunk.  The reason this is disappointing and facepalm-inducing is because this is the deadest of horses, continually flogged seemingly every single week due to this weird desire to bash the Wii or Nintendo in general for uh... being popular I suppose.  Just like that Bizarro World Sony press release just today.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:43:25 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:46:15 AM »
Thanks for the sleuthing Luigi Dude.

Article sounds like a bunch of hot air pulled out by a network looking for a rating boost, and dissing the Wii is like hitting a hornets nest with a bat.

never played SF Command, thought I'd like to try it out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »

If making good games were all that took to make such comments legitimate, then there are several counterarguments by people who've made better games than PixelJunk.  The reason this is disappointing and facepalm-inducing is because this is the deadest of horses, continually flogged seemingly every single week due to this weird desire to bash the Wii or Nintendo in general for uh... being popular I suppose.  Just like that Bizarro World Sony press release just today.

That doesn't change the fact that I love playing his games. Regardless of whether someone agrees with his comments, they are an opinion of his that will obviously affect the console choice of his company's games.

Toy comments aside, I don't see how anyone could argue that Star Fox hasn't been going in a poor direction as of late.  What I take from these comments is that the primary reason he isn't interested in making a new Star Fox game is that he doesn't want to take on such a huge project that he wouldn't have much control over the outcome on.  That's pretty sad coming from a great team like Q Games.

We all know this isn't a hardware issue.  Games can definitely work on Wii regardless of horse power or any of that.  What this is is a PR issue and Nintendo should at least worry about this stuff a little bit.  Relations with possible developers are pretty damn important.

I have to assume that something Star Fox related is at least in the initial concept stage at some studio associated with Nintendo.  It's apparent that that studio is not Q Games.  If we assume Cuthbert's comments about Miyamoto wanting it to feature fox walking around and what not, we should also assume that this large scale Star Fox game won't be a _pure_ shooter....

If I were Nintendo I would have called up Cuthbert the day after he made these comments and said...

"Hey there. I was pretty sad to read your comments about the Star Fox series and your opinion of us as a company right now.  I really love what you are doing on PSN with your PixelJunk series.  We don't want to ask you to make a large scale Star Fox game as it's apparent you don't want to do that, but I have a great idea.  How would you feel about making more of a snack sized and pure shooter edition of the series for WiiWare?  We could sell it for 10-20 bucks. It would make the classic franchise fans really happy, and we'll let you have all but free reign on the project.  How does that sound?"

Heh, but I guess that's my opinion.  I would love such a game though.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
PS, as an interesting aside to these comments. I've had Star Fox Command sitting sealed on my shelf for some time, and I chose it to be the first game I'll play on my DSi.

I can't wait to see if it's really as bad as some people make it out to be.
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
I liked Star Fox: Command. Not sure what all the hate is about. Sure, it's no Star Fox 2 and of course much different from 1 and 64, but it was still a decent game.

Makes Assault look like the big pile of garbage it is, and don't even get me started on Adventures.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
I liked Star Fox: Command. Not sure what all the hate is about. Sure, it's no Star Fox 2 and of course much different from 1 and 64, but it was still a decent game.

Makes Assault look like the big pile of garbage it is, and don't even get me started on Adventures.

As dull SF:Adventures is, there are Zelda clones that are far worse. I didn't try Assault after hearing that there are graphical glitches that affects the gameplay, I wonder what would be worse Assault made by Namco or by Factor 5(after the Rouge Squadron 3 hate).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
That doesn't change the fact that I love playing his games.

Not sure where I suggested that you stop doing that, but OK.  The main point is that doesn't validate his opinion, much as him saying the Sun revolves around the Earth wouldn't be true either.

And I'm also not sure Nintendo's in the business of offering projects to people who insult them.  I mean is this the standard M.O.?

Step 1: Get interview with magazine
Step 2: Infer or explicitly say "Nintendo is for kids/non-gamers/dog enthusiasts/whatever" in a way that seems both condescending and jealous of their popularity at the same time
Step 3: Await apologetic call from Nintendo for having offended you and offer to fund a project.

It doesn't seem like that would work.  Now yeah, that's just what you would do if you were Nintendo.  But If I were Nintendo I'd buy out their company for chump change from Sony (because they desperately need cash right now) and make them work on nothing but Balance Board Minigames.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »
Of course the real Nintendo just keeps its cool and keeps doing what makes the most sense, not some petty revenge nonsense.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
"Hey there. I was pretty sad to read your comments about the Star Fox series and your opinion of us as a company right now.  I really love what you are doing on PSN with your PixelJunk series.  We don't want to ask you to make a large scale Star Fox game as it's apparent you don't want to do that, but I have a great idea.  How would you feel about making more of a snack sized and pure shooter edition of the series for WiiWare?  We could sell it for 10-20 bucks. It would make the classic franchise fans really happy, and we'll let you have all but free reign on the project.  How does that sound?"

Where's the internet world wide web poll where I can vote you in for the job of "Person who makes this happen"?
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »
Mr.Cuthbert (or someone posing as him?) clears the air.

The source. Go to the fourth page.

Ummm...bow and shake hands? Beef over?

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:57:16 AM »
Of course the real Nintendo just keeps its cool and keeps doing what makes the most sense, not some petty revenge nonsense.

Everybody has their vices, KDR. :D

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »
The only comment that he made that really annoys the crap out of me is the toy comment. I understand that he may not have meant to make it sound derogatory, but it inherently is.

No one in their right mind would think of calling the Xbox 360 or PS3 a toy, and why is that? Because it has media capabilities? To me, that makes it more of a toy (a technophile toy) and less of a game machine. When I turn on my Wii, a game is getting played. More often than not, when I turn on my PS3, I'm watching a movie. I'm not even sure the last time I turned on my 360 (I think right after the New Year to play some Nuts & Bolts).

If Nintendo would've released the Wii as an HD machine, with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING different from the current setup, I guarantee not a single developer would be sending all the smacktalk and hate they seem to be sending now. It just shows how reliant the industry has been on using graphics to push gaming forward, and not good gameplay ideas. It also reaffirms why I love Nintendo so much.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »
Oh, they'd be talking about how Nintendo is for kids and going to leave the videogame industry soon.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »
Oh, they'd be talking about how Nintendo is for kids and going to leave the videogame industry soon.

I can see that happening since Nintendo would make HD games in colors other than BROWN
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
In the words of a pimp:

"If you have 10 haters hating on you, you need to find out how to get to 16 before the summer ends. And if anyone is out there with no one to hate, don't be afraid to hate on me."
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
In the words of a pimp:

"If you have 10 haters hating on you, you need to find out how to get to 16 before the summer ends. And if anyone is out there with no one to hate, don't be afraid to hate on me."

Classic Williams<3
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
I don't like the "Wii is a toy" comment but not because I disagree but because a lot of developers don't take the Wii seriously, despite it's market leading position.  That's a problem.  That's why the Wii third party support absolutely SUCKS.  This is a major issue but because Nintendo is rolling around in the money they're doing nothing about it.  And because they're ignoring the problem it will never go away.  Next gen will be the same thing.  They'll skimp on this, skimp on that, focus on non-gamers over core gamers, and it'll be the same damn problem.  And they won't acknowledge or do anything about it unless it affects the bottomline, but then it will be too late.

The guy sounds bitter but he's certainly not wrong about the current state of the Star Fox series.  And Miyamoto is the guy who wanted Rare to turn Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures and that was the beginning of the end.  Hell, I'm bitter as a gamer about that so if I was previously involved with the series I would be quite annoyed to see it go in such a lousy direction.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »
It's alright tho, cuz these bonehead developers are dying out.  Studios shutdown and/or bought up, what a lovable market.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
"And Miyamoto is the guy who wanted Rare to turn Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures and that was the beginning of the end."

More likely he knew well in advance they were dumping Rare, so he went for the cheapest franchise labeling trick to reduce overall costs on developing/marketing that disaster.  "add space furries and take all this stuff away so we can get this out ASAP before the big auction!"

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
Proportion.  This has been blown out of it.

He was right about Miyamoto being willing to do things with franchises that a lot of fans hate.  We have empirical evidence, e.g. Star Fox in Dinosaur Planet, Celda, and many more.  The statement that the Wii is "more of a toy" is not inherently offensive, either (not the least of which because it's a fragment; more of a toy than what?  a ham sandwich?).  In the context of the interview, it's next to impossible to determine what he really meant, and the interviewer didn't press him on it, even though it was a non sequitur and he really should have.