Author Topic: So much for being able to re-download your games...  (Read 2042 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
So much for being able to re-download your games...
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
Just a minor note - while messing around, I was looking around on my black Wii to see if I could download any of those demo titles that Nintendo put up some time ago (Pokémon Rumble, etc.).  Couldn't find them anywhere.

Decided to try a different tactic... Booted up the white Wii.  Went into my downloads history, thinking I could select the title and choose to gift it from there.  No luck - the demos were no longer in my "Titles You've Dowloaded" section.  Shucks.  So, I went into my "Account Activity" section... sure enough, it shows I've downloaded the demos.  Clicked on one to see if it'd let me re-download and/or gift it... no go!  Got an error message saying the title was no longer available and that I couldn't re-download it.

Now, the demo still works (via SD card), and, right now, as far as I know, only demo titles cannot be re-downloaded.  But this is an icky precedent.  Wonder if there will come a day when Nintendo won't let us re-download titles we've purchased?  Good thing I've got them saved on my SD card... so long as I don't have to send my Wii in and get a different one back, I'm all good.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: So much for being able to re-download your games...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »
Surprised they didn't timebomb the demos themselves.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »
Honestly, me too. ;)

What's weird though... I can still re-download (not gift) the Metriod Prime 3 Preview Channel.  Of course, if you try to launch it, you get a message telling you the channel is useless and to delete it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »
Yeah, that's a pretty good indicator of lack of coordination when it comes to the Wii Shop.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »
when metroid prime 3 came out there was a metroid prime channel and it only lasted for a short time before disappearing

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:58 AM »
when metroid prime 3 came out there was a metroid prime channel and it only lasted for a short time before disappearing

Yeah, I mention that.  The odd thing is though, if you downloaded it while it was available, it's still in your history and you can still go back and re-download it - though when you launch it, you just get a message saying that it no longer works and to delete it.