Author Topic: Gaming Journalist to become game developer  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Gaming Journalist to become game developer
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »
Read the blurb here. Read the full reason right here.

Its going to be interesting from becoming one of gaming's toughest critics to being on the other side of the chopping block. Can all those years of critiques make for a fine developer?

Also, can the rest of his former staff give an objective review of his games, considering he's one of the original members? Hmm...

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Gaming Journalist to become game developer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:31:53 PM »
Well I guess we'll see how that turns out. I generally find Kasavin to be one of the editors with lesser bias, which really just takes Gamespot even further off the map for me since he won't be around any longer giving at least some objectivism to the site.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:39:23 AM »
Wasn't Devil May Cry 2 made by a Japanese game journalist?  I recall their being some sort of inexperienced person heading the project and that was often used as an excuse for the game disappointing.

I think people either have good ideas for games or they don't.  Whenever "your game ideas" threads come up some people have really cool ideas and then a lot of people have either really bad ideas or vague unrealistic ideas that promise the moon but have no logical way to organize anything in a game format.  Just because you're familiar with games or like games doesn't mean you can make them.  Hell there are tons of actual game developers that in mind have no idea how to really make a game.  Ditto with movie directors and song writers.

Personally I think I would be best at designing a core idea but not the specifics.  Like I could think of items to get in Zelda and general settings to visit but would have no idea where to even start regarding the exact design of a dungeon.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE:Gaming Journalist to become game developer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 06:13:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Wasn't Devil May Cry 2 made by a Japanese game journalist?  I recall their being some sort of inexperienced person heading the project and that was often used as an excuse for the game disappointing.

I think people either have good ideas for games or they don't.  Whenever "your game ideas" threads come up some people have really cool ideas and then a lot of people have either really bad ideas or vague unrealistic ideas that promise the moon but have no logical way to organize anything in a game format.  Just because you're familiar with games or like games doesn't mean you can make them.  Hell there are tons of actual game developers that in mind have no idea how to really make a game.  Ditto with movie directors and song writers.

Personally I think I would be best at designing a core idea but not the specifics.  Like I could think of items to get in Zelda and general settings to visit but would have no idea where to even start regarding the exact design of a dungeon.

QFT,
i have read so much crap online, people really don't know that making games is an intellectually difficult process and implementing certain ideas may take too long to successfully put in a game. Iv been researching the design of my own game for 4+ years. It has taken alot of organization and thought on how it would be put together. Eventually i will have a compete game design document, but compiling that is quite a task in itself!

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
Is that the Zombie Crisis game Perm?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »
Wow, didn't know Perm was a game maker... I'd like to know more if you don't mind tooting your own horn for a minute (no pun/homoerotic undertones intended)

As I mentioned, since he's been reviewing games for a little over a decade, he'd know what he likes, what he doesn't, and what ideas to avoid. Depending on what he'll actually do when begins developing will be question. I can see him as a design lead or a producer as opposed to something programming/art based.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa