Author Topic: Custom PC's  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Custom PC's
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
I know BnM already made a thread similar to this, but I couldn't find it.

I want to build a custom PC for video editing and sound production. Basically, I want to build an extremely capable production PC. What I need help with is deciding which components to buy. There are few requisites I have, but other than that, I'm pretty much lost in the woods.

Here's the things I know I need or already have:

:: At least 8 gb of fast, fast ram.
:: At least 2 tb of memory. I don't really understand RAID 1 or 0.
:: A fast CPU to render HD video/audio files.
:: Video card with at least 1 gb of ram
:: I already have a soundcard and monitor.

And of course, I'd like all this to be as cheap as possible too - under a G. I appreciate your guys help in advance.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Re: Custom PC's
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
Doing a little craiglisting and I found this laptop.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/sys/2363704135.html

Does anyone have an opinion on it? Doing a quick search makes it seem like a powerhouse beast of a laptop. I understand the i7 processors are the newest, but is this one any good? Also, the video card has at least 1gb of ram, but is the series fast enough?

The only problem I see is the puny HDD, but I wouldn't mind buying a cheap 1 tb external, especially considering it has USB 3.0 ports.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:50:08 AM by The Unagi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
That sounds like a bad ass laptop.

Take a friend who is strapped when you go pick that thing up.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't really feel comfortable about it either. It's going for 1900 easy on eBay. Why would someone sell it for a G less? Doesn't make sense.

If it fell of a truck, so be it. That doesn't bother me. If this is fake, then we might have problem.

Anyway, I hit the dude up and we've exchanged numbers and what not (gave him my gvoice number). So I guess we'll know soon enough.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
Meet in a very public place, like a Starbucks in the mall.

Have him turn on the laptop and check the System Info to verify that it not only works, but that is has everything he said it has in it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
Once you have it, flash the ROM and wipe the drive, don't restore from a partition. Make sure the formatting tool reports an accurate size of the drive. You never know what kind of custom crap could be in it.

There could still be hardware that allows an outside user gain access, even turned off, as long as there is an active internet connection (shouldn't work on wireless). I have a server from Dell that allows me that kind of access.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:41:10 PM by bustin98 »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »
Don't a get a laptop, period. You'll pay more for less, and be stuck with an oversized paperweight a few years down the road because you can't upgrade it like you can a good desktop. Besides, even the best discrete graphics card still sucks compared to a full sized mid-range PCIe GPU. Not a great path to take for video production and image manipulation.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
I agree so let me know what kind of setup I should get.

If everything goes smoothly with this deal, I'll probably flip it myself to a friend for an extra couple bucks. That's cuz I have no need for a super powered laptop, especially one as heavy and bulky as that one.

I got a beast of a phone for all my mobile multimedia needs. I got a light, capable laptop for when I travel. Now I need a super computer, one that I can upgrade down the road if need be.

So yeah...let me know.

@BnM and Bustin - thanks for the advice.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »
You could just follow my PC path but get all the upgraded versions of everything I bough. SInce you already have a Monitor, you will have an extra $170 from my budget plus the extra $200 you planned on spending anyway. You could blow my computer out of the water (not that mine is super) with an extra ~$400 budget.

Do you have preferences like AMD/ATi vs Intel or Nvidia?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
Well the deals not done yet. He's, expectedly, already had a couple of offers. But I understand what you're getting at.

And no, I don't have a preference.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Do you have preferences like AMD/ATi vs Intel or Nvidia?

He wants the goods: AMD and nVidia. ;)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »
I concur, AMD is cheaper and a much better value and Nvidia has more stable drivers.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
The new Intel sandybridge stuff has been getting good reviews. A quad core i5 CPU would be good, though the i7 models are better, now that they have some kinks worked out.

I priced out a new pc for my use, sent you an email with the details Unagi. Its a little more than 1300 but it has 2 monitors, and the video card could be different though a good video card is best when dealing with graphics and video.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
Yeah, the fixed Sandy bridge is fast, I'll give you that, but it's definitely more expensive.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »
Intel's performance ratings really do not make up for the prices they charge. AMD is a better bang for your buck when it comes to processors.

Unagi, why don't you scope out NewEgg and compile a wish list of your build? You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever building what you've listed for far under $1,000! I'd be looking for at least 16GB of RAM though, especially if video and audio editing is high on your priority list. You could keep it cheap and stick it out with DDR2, or jump on the bandwagon with DDR3 and future-proof yourself. It's up to you. Most motherboards will let you jump up from DDR2 to DDR3 later anyway.

You shouldn't need to worry about RAID. You can get single 2TB drives super cheap nowadays. I always preferred a simple Master/Slave setup to RAID anyway.

AMD has some great AM3 socket processors that can be acquired on a modest budget. The Phenom II quad core lineup even comes in nifty "Black Editions" for easy overclocking if need be.

Find a good nVidia GPU. 1GB dedicated memory shouldn't be difficult to keep in the budget, as it's pretty much the standard now.

Get a good motherboard!!!. I almost always prefer Asus as a starting point, but have also been impressed with Gigabyte. I'd hazard against the no-name brands, and definitely stay away from "gamer" junk like BioStar... they may look pretty, but they're crap out on you eventually.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:52:59 AM by Morari »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
I've had good experiences with the last 2 Gigabyte motherboards I've gotten (2 different computers), I would recommend getting one of those.

this is the thread from when I built mine
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31386.0
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:00:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »
Yeah, I like Gigabyte, a lot of their boards have 3 year warranties, (I've done RMAs to them before) and often use solid state capacitors which last longer.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
Doing a little craiglisting and I found this laptop.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/sys/2363704135.html

Does anyone have an opinion on it? Doing a quick search makes it seem like a powerhouse beast of a laptop. I understand the i7 processors are the newest, but is this one any good? Also, the video card has at least 1gb of ram, but is the series fast enough?

The only problem I see is the puny HDD, but I wouldn't mind buying a cheap 1 tb external, especially considering it has USB 3.0 ports.

What do you guys think?

If you're going to go with Intel, don't go for the first generation i3/i5/i7 like the one on your craigslist link. The second generation Intel i chips will look like this i _ - 2 _ _ _, for example I have an i7-2820QM.

I would suggest you build a desktop workstation, so you might want to go for one of the Nvidia Quadro workstation graphics cards: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-fermi-overview.html. I personally chose the 2000M with 2GB of memory, http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html, but that's for laptops.

Definitely go for more RAM, 16GB of RAM is optimal.

If you want fast boot ups, and quick program loading I would suggest you get an SSD. Use the bigger, platter based hard-drives as your data storage.

Also, I know you already have a monitor, but if you do look for another one then go for one with a high gamut percentage. 95% is great.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:35:54 PM by Caliban »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20722

The 2011 Tech Report PC Builders Guide.
Might be a good place to start researching.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips guys.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile