Author Topic: New 3DS XL consoles are long gone?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
New 3DS XL consoles are long gone?
« on: November 21, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
After a few years with my New 2DS XL system getting significant use, I can tell it's showing some wear. Since I've got a bunch of downloaded games, and since you can't easily transfer or play those games anywhere else, I've been thinking about getting a replacement system.

My first thought was to upgrade to a New 3DS XL so that I could actually appreciate the 3D effects in various games. It's not always an effect that I enjoy... but sometimes it's really cool and nothing else does quite the same thing.  Unfortunately, it looks like those consoles have gone extinct by now. Can't find one (new) locally, and initial online searches show they are either priced ridiculously high by re-sellers or simply unavailable at most sites.

Anyone have tips for tracking down one a New 3DS XL console, or have they done the same quick disappearing act that Wii U consoles did?  If so, I guess that I'd better buy a backup New 2DS XL system while they are still available...

Options I've found online:
* eBay - about $320 for a new system after shipping; this isn't actually that bad, although is a 10 or 15% markup from straight retail.
* Nintendo store - about $185 for a refurbished system before shipping; I've heard mixed reviews about refurbished products, so am hesitant here... would I be better off just scouting local used shops if leaning in this direction?

(PS - I live in a smallish town in Canada, which affects retail options and pricing.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:45:00 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: New 3DS XL consoles are long gone?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »
EBGames in your area or close by? Any local game store that might carry the system?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 04:16:25 PM »
EBGames in your area or close by? Any local game store that might carry the system?

2 EB Games stores, but they both said they don't carry them (at least not new) any longer.
Beyond that, checked the usual suspects for local stores (Toys R Us, Walmart, The Source, Best Buy) and they said the same thing.

Oh... but I should check with Shoppers Drug Mart.  Sometimes they have stuff sitting around behind the counter.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »
Yeah, Shoppers and Staples are possibilities. Less people go there for electronic goods. I figured

EBGames might not have any new but at least if you got a refurbished or used one from them you can test it and if it isn't working well or something about it concerns you then it would be easier to return and maybe swap it out for a different one. Is it just the NEW 2DS that Nintendo is selling these days or are stores out of those now also ? I didn't realize they were phasing out the actual 3D 3DS systems already.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
Real talk: track down the regular sized one. It's a much more well designed bit of kit.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:46:55 PM »
I think those are even harder to find new and I get the sense that brand new is the way ejamer wants to go. So glad I bought a back-up NEW 3DS XL a couple years ago when the SNES edition was released. Although so far, all I seem to need is a new bottom cover for my current NEW 3DS XL. In addition to the worn away, rubbed off polish on the sides, the bottom has cracks originating from the two screw holes and I feel the serial number is going to come off at some point. Probably my fault from tightening the screws too hard the first time I took off the bottom but now it bugs me when I hold it because I can feel the cracks as I grip it.

Still, I'll probably pick up a regular size NEW 3DS yet to replace my launch system. Just been looking for a good deal on a used one.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
I'm digging the Canadian references here with EB Games and Shoppers Drug Mart.  You could also check out London Drugs but it's November so you should probably wear a tuque and maybe warm yourself with a double-double from Tim's. ;)  If only Superstore still carried videogames so I could squeeze them in.

I'm also enjoying the irony of not being able to find a new New 3DS XL.  It would be a shame to settle for a used New 3DS.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 09:13:13 PM »
I had the polish rub off on the side of mine as well. The C-stick stopped working properly after the first few hundred hours of Monster Hunter but that was fixed when I did the C-stick mod. Also although this is most likely bad luck on my part, I've had to replace the battery in it once before and the one it has now is starting to bloat pretty badly as well.

Haven't had any issues with the regular sized one but we'll see how that goes as time goes on.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
After confirming no stock anywhere in town, found one on eBay that was new in box, and ended up being almost exactly MSRP(+tax).  So pretty happy about that... although it reminded me of why I never purchased one of the New 3DS XL systems to start with. These consoles are damn pricey, and never saw a price cut in Canada.

On the other hand, the novelty of 3D probably isn't coming back anytime soon and we've got a ton of games available for the DS/3DS at home (some digital, some physical). So even though it's darned expensive, it'll probably be justified in our case.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm also enjoying the irony of not being able to find a new New 3DS XL.  It would be a shame to settle for a used New 3DS.
Settle is not the word I'd choose for this context.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
I was hoping I'd find one on clearance meself, but it seems they phased them out slowly enough for that to not happen. I'm guessing one reason is because they didn't want the $200 3DS competing with the $200 Switch Lite, and also with sales down it's probably simpler to just have less models on the shelves.

I don't know if Canada can order directly from Nintendo, but I've heard good things about their refurbished items.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »
I don't know if Canada can order directly from Nintendo, but I've heard good things about their refurbished items.

They do - the stock and pricing are separate, so not everything is available, but Nintendo has refurbished New 3DS XL models at a very decent price through their Canadian website. (That probably would've been the more economical choice... but "refurbished" always makes me a bit nervous, as it feels like a crap shoot about what quality you'll receive.)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
I have had nothing but good experiences with Nintendo refurbished hardware. With refurbished it really varies depending on who’s doing it, but Nintendo’s standards for it seem to be really, really high.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »
I have been buying refurbished 2ds's for gifts and they do come with a Nintendo backed warranty. One even broke (cracked screen due to being dropped) and they fixed it for free. I recommend this over any other used dealer.