NWR Interactive > TalkBack

Mario Goodies Collection Book Review

(1/1)

JusDBerube:
A look at a new picture book filled with Mario games and merchandise.http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/38089/mario-goodies-collection-book-reviewThe Mario Goodies Collection book was recently released and is has 255 full- color print pages full of Mario games and merchandise. The book’s pictures all come from Japanese Mario collector Mitsugu Kikai, who currently has the Guinness World Record for the largest Mario collection.The book is divided into 8 “Worlds,” or chapters, that focus on different aspects of this enormous collection. The chapters are Video Games, Books, Video & Audio, Figurines & Plushies, Life Accessories, Toys, Collector Goodies, and Foreign Goodies. As a collector myself, I was excited to see what Mario merchandise exists that I am unaware of. To be honest, you will learn that there is a lot. Mitsugu Kikai clearly has a vast concentration of Japanese-only items, many of which are probably obscure here in the West. That’s not to say there aren’t non-Japanese items in the book there are some, but you should understand that this book has a vast focus on Japanese goods.While it always brought a smile to my face to see items I do own on the pages of The Mario Goodies Collection, I was really hoping to learn a lot more about the stuff I don’t have. Sadly, you won’t learn too much. Each page has a few sentences written about a certain items featured around the text, but it usually isn’t enough to really give the reader a true understanding of what they are looking at.One of the weird things about this book is that it isn’t only in English, but it’s also in French. Each page has the primary text in French, and either beside or below it you will find the English translation. While I’m sure this makes the book more marketable throughout the world, I found having a bunch of text I couldn’t read to be distracting.The Mario Goodies Collection also, sadly, has a few misleading statements, one of which I’m sure is factually wrong . However, these can easily be overlooked due to the contents of the book. It’s because of these problems that I have a hard time recommending the Mario Goodies Collection to anyone but the most diehard Mario fan. The book does, however, make an excellent coffee table book due to the massive amount of images to be found throughout.The Mario Goodies Collection is available in both paperback, and a limited edition hard cover known as the “Tanuki Edition.” After handling both versions I have a hard time recommending the paperback, as the hardcover variant, which is limited to a scant 150 copies, is so much nicer. Regardless, the book is available from the publisher’s site.One thing I should mention is that I received a free paperback copy of the Mario Goodies Collection along with my purchase of The History of Mario book. This was unexpected and I don’t know if it’s something the publisher, Pix’n Love, is going to continue to do. Regardless, my statement still stands that the hardcover version of the Mario Goodies Collection is the way to go, but who can complain about a free paperback copy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version