Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321890 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I don't know why we don't have a dedicated Netflix thread, but here it is.
If it relates to Netflix (& Qwikster) we can discuss it here.

Q: WTF is Qwikster!?

A: Netflix recently split their rental service into 2 pieces.
Streaming & Disc Rentals

This split is being taken one step further by calling the online streaming Netflix and the disc rentals Qwikster.

Netflix= Online Streaming Only
Qwikster = DVD/Bluray movies & Videogame (Wii,PS3,360) rentals
["Qwikster, Rent Movies, TV Shows, and Video Games starting at only $7.99 a month."]

Now assuming that Netflix Qwikster gets games to you as quickly as they do movies (1 day turn around), then I have to ask..... goodbye Gamefly?

So who here has a Netflix/Qwikster account?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 01:08:40 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix.... & Qwikster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:42:06 AM »
I have Netflix but haven't used it in a while because I'd have to agree with Sony's forced "don't sue us" user agreement. I could watch it on the Wii but then I'd have to plug it in which is too much work.

Probably won't get Quikster. I don't watch DVDs soon or often enough to justify the price. Also, I'm currently reaping the benefits of Spotify which is the best invention since Jesus. I've been watching fewer movies since my best friend sent me the invite.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »
Hell yeah, video games!

I wonder if they're changing the branding of the physical DVD service so they can sell of that part of the company...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »
As long as I just migrate over on my DVD side of things then yeah I love to get games too.  I loved Gamefly but with the time sink that is my son I couldn't justify it anymore.  Though I would hope they fully emulate Gamefly.  Being able to just buy games you wanted at use price with a disc you've proven works is great.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
This is sad. Why discard the brand recognition and loyalty that has been built up for over a decade? It's obvious that they're looking to essentially phase out the disc-based model. It has far more overhead, and supposedly less public interest. Separate billing, separate queues and ratings? Separate names and even companies? It's not a good move for the customer, but does show obvious intent relative to the future of their disc based services. If they were serious about maintaining their mail services, they would at least keep the billing and interface integrated. From there, what each customer see as being available could be based on exactly what subscription plan they have (streaming, just discs, Blu-Ray, games, etc).

The next move will be to scuttle the disc-based service altogether, claiming that it doesn't make enough money. Of course, Netflix will continue to offer a lackluster selection of streaming content that only works on certain systems, costs them an arm and a leg due to studio greed, and doesn't distinguish itself from the competition in any fundamental manner.

I guess I'll be seeing envelopes branding with that retarded Qwister name before too long. I expect this is the beginning of the end for the service however. It might take two or three years, but this is it right here. I hope the new Netflix enjoys pandering to the competition, begging to be allowed to stream content and paying extra for it not to expire on them mid-season.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Hell yeah, video games!

I wonder if they're changing the branding of the physical DVD service so they can sell of that part of the company...

Same red envelope, different name on the front.

As long as I just migrate over on my DVD side of things then yeah I love to get games too.  I loved Gamefly but with the time sink that is my son I couldn't justify it anymore.  Though I would hope they fully emulate Gamefly.  Being able to just buy games you wanted at use price with a disc you've proven works is great.

When I first joined Netflix (back in 2005 I think... before streaming) they used to have a "keep it" option where they mail you the box. Since they are separating the company and doing games, maybe they will bring it back.

This is sad. Why discard the brand recognition and loyalty that has been built up for over a decade? It's obvious that they're looking to essentially phase out the disc-based model. It has far more overhead, and supposedly less public interest. Separate billing, separate queues and ratings? Separate names and even companies? It's not a good move for the customer, but does show obvious intent relative to the future of their disc based services. If they were serious about maintaining their mail services, they would at least keep the billing and interface integrated. From there, what each customer see as being available could be based on exactly what subscription plan they have (streaming, just discs, Blu-Ray, games, etc).

I agree that to a certain extent. The websites should stay somewhat integrated. Ratings on one site should carry over to the other and Netflix and Qwikster can be separated like tabs within the main website. Click on the Netflix tab and you are searching through streaming options, Qwikster tab and you have all your disc options. 2 sites graphed together yet separate.
They should also keep the billing as one thing too, but I'm sure there is a business reason for that too.

I understand sorta why they are separating them, Netflix the streaming service is attempting to go world wide with service already expanded to Canada & Latin America and attempting to hit Europe at some point soon too. Splitting the business streamlines the amount of content they have to maintain.

The next move will be to scuttle the disc-based service altogether, claiming that it doesn't make enough money. Of course, Netflix will continue to offer a lackluster selection of streaming content that only works on certain systems, costs them an arm and a leg due to studio greed, and doesn't distinguish itself from the competition in any fundamental manner.

I guess I'll be seeing envelopes branding with that retarded Qwister name before too long. I expect this is the beginning of the end for the service however. It might take two or three years, but this is it right here. I hope the new Netflix enjoys pandering to the competition, begging to be allowed to stream content and paying extra for it not to expire on them mid-season.

Netflix streaming is everywhere, but hopefully this split allows them to get rid of that 30 late rental crap that allows Blockbuster to have all New Releases on Day 1 while Netflix and Redbox suffer.

and yes, the name Qwikster does sound pretty dumb.
I think I would have preferred Qwikdisc & Netflix. It flows better, rhymes and describes the services much better.

here is the Netflix blog post that announced all this
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
Netflix has been pretty clear from the start that they wanted to go to streaming only even when they were just discs.

Though about 3 years from now none of us will care about this one way or another.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:25:47 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
Though about 3 years from now none of us will care about this one way or another.

...and why is that?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 03:49:43 PM »

...and why is that?

That's about as long as it takes for a people to just accept something or for a service to die.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »
True enough, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that I'd care if the service died however. I don't subscribe to any sort of television service and am too far out for over-the-air signals. I rarely ever purchase films or video games due to the high costs. Netflix is the only avenue of dedicate entertainment that I have. I would certainly care if it ceased to exist, especially after being a very happy customer for about six years now.

As it stands, this doesn't effect me much at the present time. I dumped the streaming content the second they split it up due to the twice increased cost. I'll just have to put up with a really dumb sounding new name. From my perspective though, it seems pretty clear that this is the first step in phasing out the disc-based side of the business. That is the problem... or will be.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
True enough, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that I'd care if the service died however. I don't subscribe to any sort of television service and am too far out for over-the-air signals. I rarely ever purchase films or video games due to the high costs. Netflix is the only avenue of dedicate entertainment that I have. I would certainly care if it ceased to exist, especially after being a very happy customer for about six years now.

As it stands, this doesn't effect me much at the present time. I dumped the streaming content the second they split it up due to the twice increased cost. I'll just have to put up with a really dumb sounding new name. From my perspective though, it seems pretty clear that this is the first step in phasing out the disc-based side of the business. That is the problem... or will be.
Then you be caring about the company going away not the name and split.  I'm in the same boat as you but, I can get some over the air.  We use the disc and streaming at my house.  Ironically the price didn't change that much if you had the bigger plan already.

I don't like how they are separating the infrastructure for the simple reason that the rating and recommendations really are the best feature and without the data pool of the rented DVD's.  My biggest fear is them tiering the Streaming service like *drumroll* Cable.  That would cause me to drop it and go to the Jolly ranger relatively quickly.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
I care about the split in that it seems highly contrary to providing good customer service. Not only will it pose problems for the interface and billing, but also the casual usage of one method over the other. In regards to my personal situation though? No, it doesn't effect me... yet.

I had the "3 discs at a time, unlimited streaming" plan. It just about doubled in price when they split the two services up. Additionally, they had just raised the prices on all of the plans not too long before that.

All streaming content will go toward tired pricing sooner or later. The internet as a whole edges closer and closer to being a passive "television-like" service every day. The cable companies are doing all that they can to kill or pervert services like Netflix. It's a problem that isn't easily solved, as most of the content distributors are also the creators. Obviously it would help to have true net neutrality and real competition amongst internet providers and media distribution channels though.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
Really, You must have had a better rate then me because I have the exact same plan and its about a $5 hike.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
I really see Netflix plummeting to earth after all these terrible decisions, even the CEO seems clueless as to what he is doing. He is a CEO that only listens to those who praise him (just look at the Netflix blog), and ignores those who criticize his or his company's decisions, that usually is not a good sign when it comes to a company's future success. The price hike, now splitting the brand up with no communication between them on a customer level is stupid.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
The price hike, and then another price hike a few months later, now splitting the brand up with no communication between them on a customer level is stupid.

fixed.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »
Sounds like a regular CEO.  If my experience is any indication only 10% or so of CEO's are any good.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »
also, think about this. The US postal service is in the pits right now, and might get shut down, from what i rememeber Netflix was their largest customer, polar bear die when the ice melts.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
Qwikster going up against Gamefly is gonna be interesting. I always thought Netflix should just buy gamefly outright, keep the branding, but just utilize their superior supply chain. I'll be interested in seeing how this goes.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
also, think about this. The US postal service is in the pits right now, and might get shut down, from what i rememeber Netflix was their largest customer, polar bear die when the ice melts.

I wouldn't worry too much about the USPS. Of all the dumb things the government has spent money on (wars on terrorism, wars on drugs, wars on cats, wars, wars, wars, corrupt bankers, short-sighted automobile industries, etc), I imagine they can spend a little on what has proven time and time again to be a ridiculously useful service.

Wait. That would be a sensible decision. Never mind, the USPS is doomed. :(

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about the USPS. Of all the dumb things the government has spent money on (wars on terrorism, wars on drugs, wars on cats, wars, wars, wars, corrupt bankers, short-sighted automobile industries, etc), I imagine they can spend a little on what has proven time and time again to be a ridiculously useful service.

Wait. That would be a sensible decision. Never mind, the USPS is doomed. :(
These are the same people that thought a non-government ran and funded Postal Service could survive long term.  I mean seriously everyone knew the pricing model wasn't sound but needed.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »
They're probably going to cut Saturday deliveries and raise postage stamps to make up for their debt.

This decision by Netflix is absolutely retarded UNLESS their game plan is to not tarnish their name when they shut down or sell Qwixter 5 years down the line.

Red Box among other things is absolutely kicking Netflix's ass when it comes to DVD/BD rentals. Netflix is the best when it serves up media on-the-fly. However, with Amazon and Hulu and possibly Apple at some point become fierce competitors, it is a smart move to focus on one or the other. Splitting them up probably wasn't the best idea unless they mean to sell it or shut it down, so that's what I think they'll do.

What I think is retarded is the fact that they raised prices before this and not afterwards or at all. Unless they needed extra revenue right then, it was a bone-headed move. If they need extra revenue to make business decisions to bring in more shows/movies, it could have waited.

All in all, pretty bad moves on their part.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:09:16 AM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »
Sounds like a regular CEO.  If my experience is any indication only 10% or so of CEO's are any good.

You need to get out more.  A little barbeque sauce, a little seasoning and 99% of CEO's are good.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:17:54 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 06:53:32 AM »
Given Netflix's total faffing with launching in Europe, they have now lost their advantage because Amazon bought Lovefilm (the nearest thing to a competitor here) instead.

So seeing this Qwixster nonsense is another good waffle-headed decision by a very unfocussed company.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:57:31 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »
Well, that didn't last long. Qwikster is already dead and gone.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix.... No More Qwikster!!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
I just saw that on the Netflix blog and came to post it.
already changed the title to the thread too.

But I'm glad the majority of people out there thought that Qwikster was a horrible idea.

Split your division and let them focus on different things, but don't split the website too.
That is unnecessary, causes confusion and was more than a minor convenience for all involved.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:41:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »