Author Topic: Bionic Commando  (Read 9266 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Bionic Commando
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Bionic Commando is probably dead for good, now.  Because you can't come back from the "too cool for school" "ultra mature" revival to something a little more close to it's original design.

Same thing happened with Final Fight with that lump of retardedness called Final Fight: Streetwise.

That was one of the games which caused Capcom to close its US development house.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 01:30:44 AM »
More mindless jerks for the wall! Watch HD gaming implode!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 07:20:35 AM »
lol finally a studio that deserved to go under does. GRIN was pathetic and I hope their character designer never finds another job in this or any other industry.

LOOK AT THIS ****. Way to ruin a great IP, guys.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »
I wonder what will happen to Ben Judd, the Capcom employee that contracted GRIN to do Bionic Commando.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
Let's not forget GRIN also made Bionic Commando Rearmed, and it's a great game.

lol finally a studio that deserved to go under does. GRIN was pathetic and I hope their character designer never finds another job in this or any other industry.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gg1j%2BgkXL._SS550_.jpg

LOOK AT THIS ****. Way to ruin a great IP, guys.

What's so bad about it, or is just personal preference?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »
Personally I think character for the most part in this generation is terrible and generic.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »
Link has worn the same green tunic for 20+ years. Talk about generic already.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
He's the ONLY one wearing that tunic.  That's not generic, it's signature and celebrity-like.

Generic is common mass-produced for the massive masses, things like baldness on marines whose careers tend to be in space.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:16:38 AM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:13 AM »

All you've said here is that Bionic Commando, the NES game, was a good game.  You are crediting the painters for building the house when all they did was paint it.  Games they actually CREATED suck, and sucked so bad they died.

This is something you would have to experience with a good 6 years of people clamoring for Nintendo to make Mario and Link "more mature" and how absolutely retarded that idea is.  Mainly because, their idea of "mature" is exactly the sort of mindless, generic design that plagues Bionic Commando, and was further evidenced in Bomberman: Act Zero.  The design is a new kind of awful, generically complex, yet simply soulless.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »
He's the ONLY one wearing that tunic.  That's not generic, it's signature and celebrity-like.

Generic is common mass-produced for the massive masses, things like baldness on marines whose careers tend to be in space.

Everyone in Kokiri forest wears a tunic.

Link is as generic as any other character can be.

All you've said here is that Bionic Commando, the NES game, was a good game.  You are crediting the painters for building the house when all they did was paint it.  Games they actually CREATED suck, and sucked so bad they died.

No. You're the one saying that. I have never played Bionic Commando for NES.
The painters of a house are just as instrumental as the carpenters, electricians, bricklayers, etcetera... without them you wouldn't have a house.

This is something you would have to experience with a good 6 years of people clamoring for Nintendo to make Mario and Link "more mature" and how absolutely retarded that idea is.  Mainly because, their idea of "mature" is exactly the sort of mindless, generic design that plagues Bionic Commando, and was further evidenced in Bomberman: Act Zero.  The design is a new kind of awful, generically complex, yet simply soulless.

So tell me, how was GRIN supposed to extrapolate on a design that was already generic in 1988?
Look at the boxart, and tell me that if they had the same tech from today back then that they wouldn't try to do something similar? Of course we ended up with this because of technical limitations.

All I'm saying is that whether it's Link, or any other character, it all comes down to personal preference. Claiming them to be generic is irrelevant, and even more so to use such a term to justify how well a game did in the market.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:52:03 AM by Caliban »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 02:21:50 AM »
I wouldn't call the character generic. But I would say that just because Grin put a fresh coat of pixels on a NES game doesn't mean they get to take credit for it being a good game. How many people are saying Metal Gear Twin Snakes is a good game thanks to Silicon Knights? Its just a fresh look at an old game with some tooling around thrown in.

The character may lack something that is appealing, but dreadlocks aren't plentiful. A huge metallic arm with his wife embeded isn't very common.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 05:49:18 AM »
"Everyone in Kokiri forest wears a tunic.

Link is as generic as any other character can be."

The Kokiri made their biggest mark ONCE in the series, living hidden away from the rest of society.  In the scheme of popular VIDEO GAMES, they're a unique niche within several layers of niche, and `this` green tunic comes hand in hand embodied in a recurring character we know as Link.

Don't try to make insignificant details significant and come back with examples that are actually relavant to the scope.

Try convincing us why Mario shouldn't have a mustache, why don't you.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
Yeah, generic means generic across gaming, not generic within their game world.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »
The painters of a house are just as instrumental as the carpenters, electricians, bricklayers, etcetera... without them you wouldn't have a house.

No.  No they aren't.  To put it another way, if you hired some painters to paint your house and they charged you a full bill for the house's construction, you'd be pissed off, because they didn't build the house.

The character may lack something that is appealing, but dreadlocks aren't plentiful. A huge metallic arm with his wife embeded isn't very common.

No that plotline was already done before in the first PS2 Castlevania (and it sucked, too).

So tell me, how was GRIN supposed to extrapolate on a design that was already generic in 1988?

By working hard?  By maybe making it resemble more like something in the original game?  Either way they failed and made something that literally blends into the crowd and thus failed.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
Yeah, generic means generic across gaming, not generic within their game world.

I know that. I meant in the sense that if the same character design is used for over 20 years, why can't it be considered generic?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:26 AM »
It's only generic if everyone uses it, if one character uses it for 20 years it's a trademark.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 01:34:41 PM »
Link's tunic is genetic? As a Zelda fan, that insults me.

Pro basically said what I was going to say, but might as well add somethig else. The Kokiri only made a mark once in the Zelda universe, and that was Ocarina of Time. If anyone pays attention to a minor plot details (which we should humbly thank Yoshiaki Koizumi for), the tunic is the symbol of a legendary hero who bears the mark of the Triforce of Courage. This was brought about in Wind Waker, to an extent. So, frankly, the Kokiri tunic was the base of which Link's legend was built.

As far to my knowledge, Zelda 1/2/LttP/LA didn't acknowledge this element.

Bionic Commando is probably dead for good, now.  Because you can't come back from the "too cool for school" "ultra mature" revival to something a little more close to it's original design.

Same thing happened with Final Fight with that lump of retardedness called Final Fight: Streetwise.
To be fair, the mature look of FF: Slumpwise would've worked if the gameplay didn't suck massive amounts of ass.

And Bomberman: Act Zero. That game can burn in hell and rot. Thank you for nearly destorying a legendary multiplayer character, HD generation.

And back to Bionic Commando... Ignoring the Wii in favor for HD maturity when the Wii-mote could've EASILY emulated the chain grapple is perfect proof that developer pride will bite you in the ass.

God I love this generation of Highly Dramatic failures.

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »

Yes that's kind of retarded, but it least they didn't make him generic, almost-shaved-bald, tough-guy number 1038.  They tried to do something a little different.

Also, I wonder how many people who are declaring them pathetic actually played any of their games (particularly the ones they gave a **** about such as either Bionic Commando.. including the console game not just the XBLA).  Also, to say that rearmed was just a fresh coat of paint is understating things significantly.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
BC for PS360 was no a fresh coat of paint, but a whole new game based on an old (and memorable) gameplay mechanic that sudden;y self-destructed in bad level design choices.

The BC remake, however, is just a fresh coat of paint. IMHO, it lost some of the So Bad It's Good charm that made the NES version awesome.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
Personally, I prefer the original BC over the remake, and the new 3D game over either of them.  The original BC is fun and nostalgic, but the sense of pure gameplay adrenaline I get from swinging around in the new game is just unparalleled in any game I've ever played. 

The main reason the new one is so much fun for me is that the swinging has just the right amount of control mixed with automatic behavior.  If you fail in a swing, you usually just end up on the ground, or end up dangling like a fool (rather than dead).  This is enough of a penalty to make it really rewarding when you get it right and swing with authority (which happens more and more as you increase your skills).  Contrast this with Prototype which lets you run up walls and glide and generally act like a bad ass.  It's empowering and fun (and far more accessible), but I never get the same sense of awesomeness as I get in Bionic Commando because they is almost zero consequence for making a mistake (which is a good thing, because the controls aren't precise enough in Prototype).

Very few games give you a unique way to move around, so I'm willing to cut the rest of a game some slack if they do something like BC did and really nail it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
Did you play Ninja Five-O?

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »
nope.  I just watched some videos and it doesn't look very fluid.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:55:04 PM by Rize »