Poll

Which game should we play and discuss for the next RetroActive feature?

Mega Man 2
28 (34.1%)
Mega Man 3
54 (65.9%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 24, 2013, 10:37:36 AM

Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #27 Poll: Epic Mega Man Showdown  (Read 20864 times)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #27 Poll: Epic Mega Man Showdown
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
I easily think Mega Man 2 is better than Mega Man 3, plain and simple. I'm gonna be holding back a more detailed  wall of text for the thread, because like many, MANY other nerds out there on the information superhighway, I eat, Drink and excrete Mega Man. I'm the kind of person who is so enraptured with the classic series that I will play ROM Hacks [Seriously folks, play Rockman 4 Minus Infinity. it is pure delicious fun juice and plays fairly differently than any other Mega Man game but in an incredibly good way] and quite frankly, a nice chillaxe run through Mega Man 2 or one of the later NES titles like Mega Man 6 is a form of catharsis for me after a particularly bad day.

That being said, I probably have more to talk about with Mega Man 3 than I do with Mega Man 2, because I feel that Mega Man 3 has far more glaring flaws in comparison to the second game.

Either way, I win this poll though. Seriously, Ys?!? that's like... the one game on that last retroactive that I didn't have a lot to say about. >_>;;

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Megaman 2 for the kick ass music.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline pPatko

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/pual-patro
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »

It's been forever since I've played either and I'm not sure I ever beat them.
Poll be damned, I'm gonna play BOTH!  ;D

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

It's been forever since I've played either and I'm not sure I ever beat them.
Poll be damned, I'm gonna play BOTH!  ;D

Now THAT'S the spirit. I will admit that if you go to the right corners of the internet, this debate has been beaten to a dead and bloody pulp, but not everyone here is going to be instantly familiar with the age old argument outside of what the RFN crew already discussed. I have a lot to say on both of these games, and I've already started playing both of them today to get ready for this.

Heck, if you're interested and once we get the proper thread under way for whatever wins, I'm willing to schedule a stream and play through them again live to share my personal experience with both of these illustrious Capcom titles.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
I should say, that it's not the members of the podcast (or even the participants in the forums) that I'm worried about. I don't doubt that the RFN crew will find something interesting to say about these games.

Unfortunately, however, I am one of those people who have had this debate, as Clex put it, 'beaten to a dead and bloody pulp' through years of podcasts, retrospectives, countdowns, forums, blogs etc. I fear I won't be able to contribute much beyond a blank stare and drool. If you're lucky I might find it within me to tell the story of how I nearly beat Mega Man 2 before I realised you could switch weapons, but beyond that I don't have much to say that hasn't been said a million times before.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:08:34 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
Both games carry such great memories for me that it's honestly been hard to commit to a vote.  I've already changed it twice.  I look forward to the discussion.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:54 PM »
I should say, that it's not the members of the podcast (or even the participants in the forums) that I'm worried about. I don't doubt that the RFN crew will find something interesting to say about these games.

Unfortunately, however, I am one of those people who have had this debate, as Clex put it, 'beaten to a dead and bloody pulp' through years of podcasts, retrospectives, countdowns, forums, blogs etc. I fear I won't be able to contribute much beyond a blank stare and drool. If you're lucky I might find it within me to tell the story of how I nearly beat Mega Man 2 before I realised you could switch weapons, but beyond that I don't have much to say that hasn't been said a million times before.

I understand that, it's like if Retroactive took a look at Super Mario World or something... that being said, I'm prepared to talk all sorts of good things like why the Top Spin is actually a pretty decent weapon or strange and fun bugs or properties of Robot Master Weapons that people may not know about or just... all sorts of knowledge.

Just because -we- are privy to this knowledge doesn't mean that we cannot help in the proliferation of it... heck, we could end up learning something surprising that we didn't know, and that excites me, even if I shouldn't be holding my breath for such things to happen. Even so, I'm excited also to spread this kind of info, and I really do believe you could help, Pixpix.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:44:28 PM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
You must have missed those weeks: They already did Mario World. 2 weeks worth, in fact.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »
The debate is all right here. Once the winner is finalized, we are going to focus squarely on that one game and largely set aside direct comparisons. I really think there's a novel discussion to be had about any given Mega Man game, especially these early ones where the formula was still being established and purified.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 04:23:44 AM »
You must have missed those weeks: They already did Mario World. 2 weeks worth, in fact.

I didn't start coming around these parts until one day when I was looking for 3DS videos and I found Neal's  stuff on the NWR youtube channel. the first time I had even heard about Retroactive I remember was for the Ogre Battle 64 episode. I was listening to the RFN Backlog at one point from the begining, but I think I fell off of my regimine of NWR Podcast binge at some point and never got back on. I'll go check those out though. should be a treat.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »

I didn't start coming around these parts until one day when I was looking for 3DS videos and I found Neal's  stuff on the NWR youtube channel. the first time I had even heard about Retroactive I remember was for the Ogre Battle 64 episode. I was listening to the RFN Backlog at one point from the begining, but I think I fell off of my regimine of NWR Podcast binge at some point and never got back on. I'll go check those out though. should be a treat.
check out 103 as well if you want pure awesome

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
ClexYoshi, if you haven't heard them yet, the RFN retrospective episodes for Ocarina of Time (non-numbered, available here) and  Super Metroid (episode 142) are really great.  They predate the retroactive feature and remain two of my favorite episodes on the podcast.  On occasion they've made a reappearance into my running podcast rotation.

More on topic, I decided to cast my vote on the side of Mega Man 3, though I feel like the music and bosses from Mega Man 2 are far more iconic, a discussion of MM3 does seem like the road less traveled.   I have been playing MM2 on my 3DS, and it made me realize how much I hate the start and select buttons on my 3DS since it forces you to use the start button to switch weapons.  (I had grown spoiled by the ability to quickly switch abilities that was in the anniversary collection version, which is a version that I sadly no longer own.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:02:14 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
i feel this would be better suited as some type of interactive segment of connectivity debating between the two games instead of a full retroactive... i honestly feel that the idea of a debate setup where say Neal and Patrick, debate on two games like this pulling comments from a retroactive style thread would be a great idea for connectivity.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

check out 103 as well if you want pure awesome

Oh geez, that's still my favorite episode, if just because of the pure chaos that takes place.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
thank you for suggesting all this stuff. I did listen to 103 at some point  after I heard how untrusted Mr. Jones was as far as hosting the show. that Super Metroid episode sounds like it will be a real treat. Heck, getting to hear the dulcet tones of Mr. Greg Leahy is a treat all in itself.

Offline MagicMop

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
Well, I owned MM3 when I was a wee lad so that is the game I have all the nostalgic feelings towards. I played MM2 for the first time a year or so ago and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about it since graphics, music and game balance were all better in MM3... through my rose tinted glasses in any case. ;) Also, the lack of slide makes MM2 so SLOW. ;)
MM3 gets my vote - but I'm going to play them both again. Can't wait to hear the RFN discussion!

Offline Ignoramus

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
Never played a Mega Man game before. This should be interesting....
3DS Friend Code: 0516-7436-5160
I love games and wrasslin.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I PLAYED MEGA MAN 2 ON THE @#!&*%! IPHONE YOU PEOPLE SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!!!!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
I prefer Mega Man 2, but I voted for Mega Man 3 because I feel it has more to discuss. Since the creator feels it's a failure due to having to rush it a bit, the game is the roughest of the NES Mega Man games.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
I prefer Mega Man 2, but I voted for Mega Man 3 because I feel it has more to discuss. Since the creator feels it's a failure due to having to rush it a bit, the game is the roughest of the NES Mega Man games.

THIS.

Yeah, Inafune doesn't feel so good about Mega Man 3, and quite frankly, neither do I at some points. not saying Mega Man 3 is bad, because god knows it kicks ass and people love it more than Mega Man 2, but I feel that Mega Man 3's failings are the most GLARING of the Mega Man games made for the NES outside of maybe like... Wily and Light's Rockboard, but nobody in their right mind has sat through that Fortune Street/Monopoly knockoff long enough for me to go into discussion about THAT game. @_@;;
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:38:12 PM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
That's insane to know Inafune feels that way. MM3 is my absolute favourite of the NES MM games. Best in the world.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
Even though Mega Man 2 is my favorite, I voted for 3 because it doesn't seem to be the topic of conversation as often.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 06:20:33 AM »
Invite me onto the show so I can make fun of people in this thread! :faust:

Offline doug

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
I've played 2 before, but found it hard to get started with 3 a few years ago. Since 3 just came out on 3DS VC in Europe, this seems like the perfect opportunity to try it again.

Offline Magiteknights

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
I voted MM3, just because I happen to own MM2 on VC for Wii already. Should be an interesting retroactive either way though.
3DS Friend Code: 3282-2322-2643
Nintendo Network ID: Magiteknight