Poll

Which game should we play and discuss together on an upcoming Radio Free Nintendo podcast? (Note: All of these are available on Wii Virtual Console.)

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (Turbo CD)
17 (20.2%)
Ys Book I&II (Turbo CD)
23 (27.4%)
Pulseman (Genesis)
9 (10.7%)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
20 (23.8%)
StarTropics 2: Zoda's Revenge (NES)
15 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: February 28, 2013, 02:19:03 AM

Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #26 Poll  (Read 15471 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RFN RetroActive #26 Poll
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »
I really didn't like Dracula X (RFN is to blame for my regretful "I'll give it a chance" purchase, actually).

What didn't you like about it?

*I played Rondo of Blood some earlier today. I know that's cheating, but I really wanted to listen to some amazing music and you don't get more amazing than Castlevania. Such a good game.
There is something about classic NES-style Castlevania that is always off-putting to me. Part of it is what I consider to be clunky controls, but cruel level design also plays a factor. I'm sure it is a good game--so many rave about it--but I can't get past my hangups on pre-SotN Castlevania.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »
Voted for Ys Book I +2. I have Wii points saved up, so if it wins, I'll pick it up and get to it. Probably with Star Tropics or Dracula X as well. The other two don't really interest me.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
How similar is the DS game Legacy of Ys: Book I & II to the Turbo CD game?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
There's a review on NWR that would be worth reading for more details, but I think it's considered a faithful adaptation with polygonal graphics and somewhat revamped controls. There is a touch screen mode as well.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
Jeremy Parish made me avoid the DS version back in the day.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:10 AM »
This was a darned hard call for me. a couple of these games I'm close to and have a lot to say about [namely Rondo of Blood or Zoda's Revenge], and I wouldn't mind playing any of these other entries, but I think that of these, I'm most interested in giving Super Rotom Adventures [I nicknamed my Rotom Pulseman] a shot, as I do like some of Gamefreak's other stuff like Drill Dozer, so I've been curious about it for quite some time.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:44 AM »
I voted for Zombies Ate My Neighbors! I can imagine what gold James and Jon in particular could mine from it.  :D  Plus I just like the theme. Perhaps the makers of Plants Vs. Zombies played it during their childhood/teenage years.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:24 AM »
I went with Startropics 2. I love the first one and always wanted to play the second but never got around to it. This could be my chance.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
Was torn between StarTropics 2 and Rondo of Blood. On one hand, I want to play Rondo of Blood. On the other hand, I adore the StarTropics games...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
Frankly, most of these would be interesting.  Rondo of Blood is the only one of these games that I've actually played.  Going with Startropics 2 because I think it will provide the most interesting discussion.  I played the original, but I've never tried the sequel.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline pPatko

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/pual-patro
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
Ys just happens to be at the top of my bucket list.  Voted!  Castlevania would also be good - it's one of my faves in the series - but I've played the shiz out of it.
In the meantime... I'm still trying to finish Majora's Mask. :-[
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:03:14 PM by pPatko »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
I voted for Zombies Ate My Neighbors! I can imagine what gold James and Jon in particular could mine from it.  :D  Plus I just like the theme. Perhaps the makers of Plants Vs. Zombies played it during their childhood/teenage years.
i voted zombies just because james's possible reaction would be hystarical

Offline Gameboy Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:13 AM »
I really want to hear them talk more in depth about Rondo of Blood! That game is amazing and very difficult.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:17 AM »
I really want to hear them talk more in depth about Rondo of Blood! That game is amazing and very difficult.

If you haven't done so yet, there's an older episode of Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition that might be of interest to you.  I just checked TYPs list of games used on the show; Rondo of Blood shows up on episode 73.  Greg Leahy is the guest host I believe, and, if I recall, does offer a number of thoughts on the game.    Just a humble suggestion. :)
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
I'm very happy with this outcome. A game I haven't played before, already own, and wanted to get to soon. Hurray!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I would have voted for "Not Ys" if it had been an option. I'm sick of RPGs winning these, but I guess it's what the people want.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
As Jonny said on Facebook, Ys is more of a 2D Zelda game than an RPG.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
I was initially pissed that yet another RPG won the poll and was already to post my gripes but then I checked out Lucas Thomas's review and some of an FAQ and now I have changed my tune.
Looks like a very fun Zelda clone. Looking forward to playing along.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
The thing that irritates me about games like Ys winning is that it's building up a noticeable RPG fatigue on the forums.  Then when a good RPG I actually care about like Baten Kaitos Origins comes up in these polls, it'll lose to some generic platformer b/c people are sick of doing RPGs in RetroActive.

As for the game, it's in my Virtual Console collection but I'm not particularly interested in playing it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Ys was nominated by multiple people and won the most votes. Clearly, there is strong interest in the game. I have played a good chunk of it, years ago, and feel safe in saying its not much like any game we've ever done for RetroActive. Secret of Mana is the closest, but Ys I much different even from that. I hope the dissenters will give it a chance. One consequence of a tight competition is that there are many jilted supporters of the losing candidates. Take heart, they will get another chance!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
I would have voted for "Not Ys" if it had been an option. I'm sick of RPGs winning these, but I guess it's what the people want.

It has level-ups and you can change your armor/weapons. That's about as RPG as it gets. It's really more of a (very fast-paced) action game. They're even pretty short: Ys I lasts six hours at most, while Ys II is perhaps double that.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
The reason I voted for Y's is precisely because I've heard it isn't quite like any other RPG out there. If the choice had been another generic JRPG I probably would have voted for Rondo, but I've been genuinely interested in checking out Y's for years now because it sounds so unique. That's what Retroactive offers after all, the opportunity to play games we wouldn't normally play. I hope people who were dissappointed by the result will still join the discussion. I'm going to download this tomorrow and am really looking forward to trying it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:15:18 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »

It has level-ups and you can change your armor/weapons. That's about as RPG as it gets. It's really more of a (very fast-paced) action game. They're even pretty short: Ys I lasts six hours at most, while Ys II is perhaps double that.

That was the question I had about the length of the games. Good to know, thanks!
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
I'll probably sit out this Retroactive, but am at least glad Zombies Ate My Neighbors didn't win out.

Curious to hear more thoughts about the Ys games.